It's a really sad day for rock and roll.

Gnarmageddon

Woke up this morning to the news of Taylor Hawkins' passing. And while it's sad any day that rock and roll loses a great, this one hit a little closer to home.

I've gotten to know Taylor over the past couple years with our sons going to the same school. Parents weekend, commencement, whatever it was - his dad was there. Shane and his dad have the sort of relationship I wish more parents and kids did. And Taylor definitely didn't have the that fame trip thing happening. Really down to earth guy to bull**** and chain-smoke with. He would talk to my son all the time and was crazy encouraging to them both about putting their heart and soul into the music.

Here's a pic from last Parents weekend, that's his son with the Explorer. I was sitting with Alison and Taylor and they were both grinning from ear to ear to ear watching him lay it down.

Really sad day. Take care of yourselves out there, people.

Ah, I'm not personally affected so much about the loss of Taylor as a friend - we were just two dads chewing the fat at our kids' school - though I really appreciated that he knew my son (who was totally starstruck, what 15yo wouldn't be?) and was always happy to talk to him.

I've gotten to know his son really well and my heart is just broken for the poor kid. And it always sucks when the music world loses someone who truly had the gift. Seeing the outpour of support from his fans and fellow musicians tells you everything you need to know about the energy and talent he had.

I really, really hope it's not drugs. I mean.... rockstar... Colombia.... chest pains... it's easy to see how that ladders up.

I mean, I know you’re not claiming to be buddies or anything but, it still sucks to lose someone cool in your kid’s community.

Plus, it’s kinda gotta hurt to know you’ll see his kid(s) and wife and.. I dunno..

I never met Taylor, but have a pile of musician friends who have all had run ins with him, and have never heard anything but what a rad dude he was. He absolutely littered their Instagram feeds, and always seemed to be hanging out with the supporting bands.

Condolences to his family, band bro’s, and anyone he’s touched musically and personally. I’ve been bummed all weekend about it. While not a super fan, I’ve always admired his talent and energy. Badass drummer and fun to watch. My intro to him was seeing some live Alanis Morrisette thing on tv in the 90’s when she broke and admiring her band. I didn’t know who Taylor was at that time but remember his big energy and that he was a banger. Also remember her guitar player having a PRS. I had some immediate respect because her band kicked ass. By all accounts, he was a straight up, real dude and good guy. Super sad and unfortunate for everyone.

Sorry to hear that you lost a personal connection! We often inflate individuals to un-realistic levels when they are famous, but at the end of the day, they are all people who have families and friends and put their pants on one like at a time!! Once you have hung with that person, you see them on a much more human level and it certainly will increase the feeling associated with the loss. The connection between your sons makes it even more difficult to sort out, but I am sure you will come through it with some good life lessons for son and self!!! Chin up and put on some Foo!!!! Celebrate what he was not the why's of his passing!!!!!

NOTE: I think I am going to write a song based on those last two lines, maybe call it "Hawk Flying" ;~))

And here it is, after about 30 minutes of word smithing (going to lay down some basic tracks now to what I am hearing in my head):

The Flying Hawk - Copyright March 27, 2022 - ANO Publishing, LLC - All Rights Reserved

<verse 1>
On a dark March night
The Hawk went flyin'
Leaving behind
A life of tryin'
Tryin' to live
Beyond all reason
Livin' those dreams
So many are dreamin'

<chorus>
Chin up
And put on some Foo
Celebrate the great
In all that he do
Chin up
And put on some Foo
Celebrate the great
In all he done do

<verse 2>
Bogota on call
For the next number
Try to get back
To our rolling thunder
Fightin' like Foo
For all the right reasons
Tryin' to bloom in
This brand new season

<chorus>
Chin up
And put on some Foo
Celebrate the great
In all that he do
Chin up
And put on some Foo
Celebrate the great
In all he done do

<bridge>
Over and done
Movin' on
Keep the beat
Rockin' till the mornin' dawn

<chorus>
Chin up
And put on some Foo
Celebrate the great
In all that he do
Chin up
And put on some Foo
Celebrate the great
In all he done do

<verse 3>
You know the next stop
Is the pearly gates
Where the bouncer says
Come on in or skate
They don't care
Bought the records sold
But he's done a lot of good
When all truth be told

<outro>
Over and done
Movin' on
Keep the beat
Over and done
Movin' on
Keep the beat
Chin up
And put on some Foo
Celebrate the great
In all that he do
Chin up
And put on some Foo
Celebrate the great
In all he done do

It’s easy to forget these superstars are regular people, too. Losing a father at that age is going to be an indelible impact. His community can be a great source of comfort and support. So tough…

Back