It it possible for a tuning issue to be "unfixable"?

@mranonymous what do you consider "mildly to considerably" out of tune in terms of cents ?

Different people have a different view of what tuning stability is, and it's easy to become unrealistic (not saying that's the case here).

I used to have a very mathematical view of it:
1) stretch/tune all strings.
2) bend one string
3) check with tuner it's still at 0 cents (more or less)
4) slight to heavy tremolo use
5) check with tuner it's still at 0 cents
6) repeat for all remaining strings.

I thought that was the 'normal' since I had achieved precisely that with a Strat build with locking tuners, GraphTech nut, and Wilkinson VS100N 2-point tremolo, and an insane amount of time spent making sure nut slots were smooth.
Therefore expected the same of any other guitar, like a PRS, featuring locking tuners and floating tremolo.

Well that was unrealistic; I was told (and I agree now) that in the real world:
- you play a song and you retune if needed at the end.
- you're in tune as long as the ear can't perceive it, which it typically won't if you're even 5cents off.

Also Strat-style necks have a fantastic advantage with zero string pull (if the nut slots/tuners are aligned properly), whereas PRS and 3x3 headstock designs in general do not.

All this to say that once you take care of potential binding in nut slots (smoothing them because they're generally pretty rough out of the box, and adding lubricant), potential slippage of strings at the tuner (if the locking screw isn't tight enough), verifying the tremolo returns to a neutral position after bending or trem use, etc ... you will still be insanely lucky IMO to have strings remain perfectly in tune when measured with a tuner.

Last edited:
After several years of watching various YouTube based luthier repair people:

1) Nothing is impossible.
2) #1 is absolutely true, just be prepared to spend some real money, quite possibly more than the guitar is worth, depending on what the problem is.

Have you put on a set of strings that's bigger than the factory strings?

First thing we need to know is this.
You can not expect tuning stability from 3 year old strings.
The nut is prepared for 10-46 strings. 9s will work fine, heavier could bind at the nut. What are on the guitar?

If strings are ok, check the video Rider1260 posted.

Strat-style necks have a fantastic advantage with zero string pull

Not an expert by any means and have never owned a Strat-like guitar.
Could you be kind enough to explain 'zero string pull' please?

Honestly, I would think the warranty should still be intact if the guitar was bought new from a PRS dealer. PTC should be able to look into it.

Not an expert by any means and have never owned a Strat-like guitar.
Could you be kind enough to explain 'zero string pull' please?

Strings remain straight as they pass through the nut (at least laterally speaking).
They don't break off at an angle as they exit the nut like PRS, Gibson and nearly every single 3x3 headstock design does.
Less friction, and much easier to keep stable.

Reactions: E.X
Strings remain straight as they pass through the nut (at least laterally speaking).
They don't break off at an angle as they exit the nut like PRS, Gibson and nearly every single 3x3 headstock design does.
Less friction, and much easier to keep stable.

Core PRS have a straight string pull thru the nut FYI the 3x3 of the PRS angle inward. I have not touched or played a PRS ( except my Starla with a Bigbsy and even that was on of the best I have ever played ) that would not stay in tune , new or used. IMG_2231 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/

I had my friend two Les Pauls and one Junior on the bench with major tuning issues. He drop them off for a set up. Said the tuning issues are just a Gibson thing. It turned out that on every single Gibson the tuning keys was lose. Once every screw and bolt on the neck was tighten up tuning issues went away. Not saying this is the issue with yours but make sure that every screw on yours is snug and tight, it makes a world of difference.

Another little thing I do on bolt on guitars is while I have strings under tension I back the neck pocket screws by a quarter turn and screw them back in. Neck in a neck pocket sits deeper, better contact and it allows me to set the axis better.

Get stewmac book "how to make your guitar play better". Its full of great advices

Find a luthier and replace the nut. I bought a 35th Anniversary CU24 SE during lockdown. I had tuning issues mainly on the G and B strings and to a lesser degree on the rest of the strings. I couldn't even do a half tone bend without the G and B strings going out of tune. The whammy bar was forbidden territory. I tired pencil in the nut slots and Stewmac's Guitar Grease. Nothing helped. Being in lockdown I couldn't travel to luthier a friend recommended to me. A few weeks ago I found out about a luthier in my city. I took him my guitar. He replaced the nut with a graphite nut and did a full set up. Tuning problems solved.

With everything said...I'd definitely check the nut.
Whenever anyone gets a new PRS, they should "work the nut in" with the whammy bar...I used to recommend new guitar buyers just watch a half hour TV show while diving the bar...
this works the nut in (I'm sure there are plenty of better terms...;):D).
Now, if you went to a heavier gauged string, which sounds like the problem, a new nut, or at least a nut filing (by a PRO), will probably be the answer.
Either way, good luck.

If the neck is straight and the frets and bridge are in the correct places there should be no reason a tuning issue cannot be corrected.

Core PRS have a straight string pull thru the nut FYI the 3x3 of the PRS angle inward. I have not touched or played a PRS ( except my Starla with a Bigbsy and even that was on of the best I have ever played ) that would not stay in tune , new or used. IMG_2231 by

That's not what I consider a straight string pull.
Straighter than Gibson ? Yes
Straight ? No
;-)

It's also possible, but maybe not likely, that the string is slipping out of the tuner little by little. I had a CU24 that I assume somebody really cranked down on the tuners locking thumb screw and damaged the screw or the tuner.the string would slip out if I didnt tighten down extra tight. On mine the string would just flat pop out of the tuner but it could be something where it is subtly slipping.
This was my thought too. Might have to really crank the screws on the tuners.

My 2 dubloons...

I find almost every tuning issue is caused by the nut. Soft nut material really does a number on keeping anything in tune, especially on floating trems. I get people that blame the tuners for intonation problems, but honestly unless the tuners are made of ham, they do their job fine. Listen for little "ping" sounds at the nut when you bend, use a trem, or during tune ups. Clear sign the nut is grabby.

IMO there is no intonation issue that cant be fixed so long as the guitar is competently made. Gibsons are kinda the exception. The sideways break angle puts stress on the nut slot wall that shouldn't be there, but thats the big G for ya.

Whenever anyone gets a new PRS, they should "work the nut in" with the whammy bar...I used to recommend new guitar buyers just watch a half hour TV show while diving the bar...

While it's definitely good advice I always find this concept fascinating on $3-12k Core/PS guitars (both are equally bad in that regard, BTW).
I fail to see what can't be 'worked in' at the factory with proper filing, fine sandpaper, and time. The latter is likely the problem in a production environment, but given the price range I still don't expect having to do this myself.

Back