Issue with S2 594

unretrofiedforu

Hello friends , I purchased a brand new S2 594 earlier in the summer and have been loving it so far..

except for one issue , that I miss from my big G guitars... when I roll down the volume I lose the high end that i would not on a LP or SG?

I thought there was a treble bleed on the S2 594s?

Is there any modification I can do to make the volume and tone act like my LP ? Where I can turn down the volume and the highs do not go away? I like to use the volume control to 'clean' up the gain sometimes , works well on even my Strats but not on the S2 594...

Thanks in advance !

If I’m not mistaken the 594 models do not have a treble bleed cap installed. Most prs that have then use a 180pf silver mica treble bleed cap. Install one of those between lugs 1 and 2 of your volume pots and Bob’s you’re uncle.

You'll just need to move a couple wires. Change where the tone control connects to the volume pot from the outside lug to the center lug. This is close to the Gibson vintage wiring.

Not sure on S2, but the core 594 does not have treble bleed caps. I hated the treble loss, too, so I made the swap to the Gibson style wiring and it made the guitar so much better for me.

You'll just need to move a couple wires. Change where the tone control connects to the volume pot from the outside lug to the center lug. This is close to the Gibson vintage wiring.

Not sure on S2, but the core 594 does not have treble bleed caps. I hated the treble loss, too, so I made the swap to the Gibson style wiring and it made the guitar so much better for me.

Thanks!

So based on the 594 diagram: https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/594_2017.pdf

I should just switch the wire from the tone control to the center lug on both the volume controls? Do I still need to add a treble bleed circuit?

I wonder why didn't PRS wire it this way ?

Thanks again

Thanks!

So based on the 594 diagram: https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/594_2017.pdf

I should just switch the wire from the tone control to the center lug on both the volume controls? Do I still need to add a treble bleed circuit?

I wonder why didn't PRS wire it this way ?

Thanks again

Yup. This eliminates the need for a treble bleed. The trade-off is the tone taper isn't quite as sensitive and people say you get a drop in output when you roll the tone back. To me, the impact on output is very slight and actually works as an advantage for dynamics.

If you want to go for a treble bleed, PRS use a 180pf cap, which you would solder between the input and output lugs on the volume pots.

It's beyond me why they wire the 594 the way they do. Especially since the point of the model is to be an elevated version of a vintage Les Paul, I think it's a glaring mistake. I think it's the only missed opportunity on the 594, and that little wiring tweak is the only thing I changed about my core 594.

Or you could just clip or tack-solder a 180 pF cap Across the volume pot in/out and see what you think. Might be all that is needed.

I think treble bleed caps are a must.

The link to the diagram moved. Is it still available?

Never mind found it in the PRS Support page!

Last edited:
Back