Is this pickup genuine or not?

MJ5

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

There is gold colored sticker that printed "Modern eagle bass" at backside.

But I have never seen same type of font like this before..

Maybe it is old one as pre factory? ...or fake?

I don't know.

Whats yout opinion about this?

No way would a Modern Eagle pickup be "pre-factory" (an often incorrectly-used term, anyway). The Modern Eagle didn't exist until about 2004, about 19 years after the factory began producing guitars. I don't know about the sticker necessarily, but the cover/construction and the wiring looks to be correct PRS-type also of that 2004 era.

No way would a Modern Eagle pickup be "pre-factory" (an often incorrectly-used term, anyway). The Modern Eagle didn't exist until about 2004, about 19 years after the factory began producing guitars. I don't know about the sticker necessarily, but the cover/construction and the wiring looks to be correct PRS-type also of that 2004 era.

Than I guess sticker is not original, maybe?
and also it just for mark that extract out from modern eagle... So there is no way to identify what pickup is...

It can be Modern eagle RP Bass or any other...
Anyway it seems like PRS type. Right?

Do you know when this type of pickups are manufactured that has backside without carved text 'PRS USA'?

Last edited:
PRS "RP" pickups have the "RP" on the sticker. I don't know what this one is...

The pictures you posted are too small to see all the details. What's right: brass baseplate, rectangle tabs where the height adjustment screws go in, shorter polepiece screws than other brands, 6 polepiece holes on the bottom instead of 12, brushed nickel cover, braided wiring with a white split wire. What doesn't seem right: There was never a Modern Eagle Bass that I know of (RPs as mentioned previously) and the model name sticker is very cheesy looking.

The bottoms of the pickups have looked different over the years, but I'm fairly sure by 2004 they had the standard baseplates going? Could be wrong. By standard I mean like this, with the model name, the sticker with the CE, ROHS and crossed out trash can, and PRS USA stamped into the baseplate.

ra2lsqvdkzixbyj9up1c.jpg

Hard to tell. As far as I can see, PRS pickups have "PRS" stamped into the metal from about 95 onwards (right under where your label is). Labels went from larger white paper to smaller black deal around the same time. I think RoHS was enforced from 2006 onwards. I woudl assume if it's an American-made pickup, it would have the PRS stamp under the label, but most pickups I have seen with the stamp have smaller labels so it is visible....

Back