Is the NF3 the greatest guitar ever?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
I just love that semi -transparent red finish! Here's mine, the Rosewood FB cousin.

nf3_zpsxot4cpli.jpg

Still loving mine. The more I play it the more I like it! Sounds so sweet or so naughty depending on what you want. I didn't take these pics, but it is my guitar:

179404-2_zpsbvwfyldo.jpg

179404-5_zps1ldcvmrl.jpg

The other thing I'm very intrigued by is the 25 1/4 scale length. The lower frets feel just a tad more compact. I don't quite get that same distinct jumping-from-les-paul-to-strat feeling that's typical when leaving the Gibson world for Fender. (Like you just picked up a bass...!) The NF3 neck just feels very natural to my hand!

OK, so at least three of us are still playing a PRS NF3... And Jimmy Herring!

I've been reading up on the discussions about the PRS NF3 from 2-3 years go, and I see one common denominator. Everybody seems to be quite "disappointed that they don't really sound like single coils..." Well, no... They don't! They're not! DUH. They ARE humbuckers and they SOUND like humbuckers! Where did this single coil misconception stem from? Yes, positions 2 and 4 offer some nice fender-esque quackiness, that I dig, but that doesn't make it a strat. You'll hate this instrument if you approach it thinking you're about to encounter a strat variant. Don't! Seriously! It's a humbucker instrument and a fabulous one at that. It just has the ability to produce some very fender-like tones, given certain circumstances. No?

I'm guessing there are more than 3 of us still playing these! Since I was outside taking pics of my new SC245, I finally took some of my NF3 also:

007_zps6bznwvkx.jpg

008_zpszreerur2.jpg

I've been reading up on the discussions about the PRS NF3 from 2-3 years go, and I see one common denominator. Everybody seems to be quite "disappointed that they don't really sound like single coils..." Well, no... They don't! They're not! DUH. They ARE humbuckers and they SOUND like humbuckers! Where did this single coil misconception stem from? Yes, positions 2 and 4 offer some nice fender-esque quackiness, that I dig, but that doesn't make it a strat. You'll hate this instrument if you approach it thinking you're about to encounter a strat variant. Don't! Seriously! It's a humbucker instrument and a fabulous one at that. It just has the ability to produce some very fender-like tones, given certain circumstances. No?

While I know what you're saying, I sort of disagree with this. No, the NFs don't sound like SCs. But... and this is a big but, (no pun intended of course), one of the things I love about the NF3 is the ability to take a nice two channel amp, and turn the treble up, the mids and bass down on the clean channel, and get very strat-like clean tones, then flip it over to the gain channel and roar away like normal for humbuckers. Not exactly the same, but close enough to be one of the most versatile guitars I've ever played.

I just played mine again last night with the Two Channel H and the cleans are simply glorious. Just incredible! But flip that sucker over to the red channel and it can get 80s hard rock tones instantly.

Years of hanging at The Gear Page have confirmed that MANY MANY people have always looked for that one perfect amp with Fender cleans and Marshall gains. If you want to take that one step further, you can have Fender like cleans from the amp and Fender like tones from the guitar, the gain tones (which get more Marshall like with my 10 band MXR EQ in the loop set to British up the voicing a bit) and humbucker tones from the guitar. I'm close to a holy grail situation with this setup. If I could just get the custom shop to do the presence/resonance mods I might be there. Oh, and after I try a Scumback greenback type or two in the PRS cab! As killer as that cab sounds for cleans (and for gains with my Mesa amps) I want Greenback type speakers with my Marshall voiced amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a different love affair with one 3 years ago. My initial experience was incredible quality.
I went to GC to guitar bang around while I was in the big city. After trying a dozen of the new models that year I fell in love with a rosewood(or was it ebony) sunburst model. I could not stop playing it, coming back to it several times. It felt like a real instrument and at low volumes had nice sustain and fullness. The salesman tried to get me to spend $2K out the door, instead of $2.5.
Well a year later, on The Gear Page, I found one with a maple board and non sunburst. I think I paid $1,200?
Anyway this one didn't have the rolled edges and smooth feel and I did not like the narrowfields as much as I remembered. The 25.25" scale is great. But I couldn't get that superb instrument feel I had previously.

I still play my NF3 and I am in 100+% agreement with all your comments above & knew this before I purchased my NF3 (I have a Strat as well - which I plan to keep, along with the NF3)

Any photos of the NF3?

While I know what you're saying, I sort of disagree with this. No, the NFs don't sound like SCs. But... and this is a big but, (no pun intended of course), one of the things I love about the NF3 is the ability to take a nice two channel amp, and turn the treble up, the mids and bass down on the clean channel, and get very strat-like clean tones, then flip it over to the gain channel and roar away like normal for humbuckers. Not exactly the same, but close enough to be one of the most versatile guitars I've ever played.

I just played mine again last night with the Two Channel H and the cleans are simply glorious. Just incredible! But flip that sucker over to the red channel and it can get 80s hard rock tones instantly.

Years of hanging at The Gear Page have confirmed that MANY MANY people have always looked for that one perfect amp with Fender cleans and Marshall gains. If you want to take that one step further, you can have Fender like cleans from the amp and Fender like tones from the guitar, the gain tones (which get more Marshall like with my 10 band MXR EQ in the loop set to British up the voicing a bit) and humbucker tones from the guitar. I'm close to a holy grail situation with this setup. If I could just get the custom shop to do the presence/resonance mods I might be there. Oh, and after I try a Scumback greenback type or two in the PRS cab! As killer as that cab sounds for cleans (and for gains with my Mesa amps) I want Greenback type speakers with my Marshall voiced amp.

Here it is with two of it's three PRS brothers.

PRSx3_zps2705ed25.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have Justmunds new NF3 at my house, and I gotta say that for distorted tones the NF neck pickup is just about the perfect humbucker. It's got that glassy tone like a single coil and not a hint of mud.

Last edited:
Timely thread. I joined a blues band last week and am on the hunt for a clean used NF guitar for that project. I can't decide between the NF-3, the Swamp Ash NF, and the Modern Eagle 3. I suppose I could use my ME LTD but it's locked up (in a place that's hard to access) back in the states.

My first and only PRS is an NF3 a bit of an impulse buy after seeing a second hand (in what looks and feels like brand new condition) private stock model I got recently, my word I can't describe how good it is. Mine was a rosewood body with a maple neck, it sparkles like crystal clear water but when I crank it it makes my little tube amp roar like a beast. So versatile and elegant, without being overly flamboyant. I barely even look at my other instruments any more since I got it.

I have Justmunds new NF3 at my house, and I gotta say that for distorted tones the NF neck pickup is just about the perfect humbucker. It's got that glassy tone like a single coil and not a hint of mud.
and I hope you're getting some play time in on it while you can!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;223051 said:
Timely thread. I joined a blues band last week and am on the hunt for a clean used NF guitar for that project. I can't decide between the NF-3, the Swamp Ash NF, and the Modern Eagle 3. I suppose I could use my ME LTD but it's locked up (in a place that's hard to access) back in the states.
I think you're going to like what I'm doing with mine :)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;223051 said:

That's awesome you've got a new gig as a guitarist. You should try and find one of those Multi Foil Swamp Ash Studios in Desert Foil... That guitar looks sofaking rad.

My first and only PRS is an NF3 a bit of an impulse buy after seeing a second hand (in what looks and feels like brand new condition) private stock model I got recently, my word I can't describe how good it is. Mine was a rosewood body with a maple neck, it sparkles like crystal clear water but when I crank it it makes my little tube amp roar like a beast. So versatile and elegant, without being overly flamboyant. I barely even look at my other instruments any more since I got it.

We need pics!!!

Back