Is it just me...

flimbo

..that gets goosebumps when playing - after adjusting my bridge pickup 6th string polepiece just half a turn nearer the string?

Its amazing how much different it is adjusting polepiece heights compared to raising or lowering the entire pickup. The pole piece height changes tone and feel, not just output.

Its amazing how much different it is adjusting polepiece heights compared to raising or lowering the entire pickup. The pole piece height changes tone and feel, not just output.
So, if there are three adjustments, stoptail, P/U height, and pole screws, which order do you proceed? My luthier did a setup, and he raised the stoptail. I'm thinking of lowering it and lowering the P/U too.

So, if there are three adjustments, stoptail, P/U height, and pole screws, which order do you proceed? My luthier did a setup, and he raised the stoptail. I'm thinking of lowering it and lowering the P/U too.

The Stoptail sets the action. You should move it up or down only as you want the distance from strings to fretboard to change.

The Pup height is then adjusted to get the output/tone you want

The Pole pieces adjust the tone between strings. If you want a balance that you are not hearing (one string is louder than the rest), you can balance them with pole pieces.

The Stoptail sets the action. You should move it up or down only as you want the distance from strings to fretboard to change.
That makes sense. When My PRS (an SE 245) was new, new, I took it to my guy. I wanted a new nut and 10's. Then, a setup. When I got it back, the stop tail was raised a lot it seemed. The bridge P/U too.
He claimed he lowered it, but my eye saw the stop tail immediately so ???
I wish I had checked the string/fretboard clearance before taking it there, but I didn't. I need to see if the fretboard demands this much stoptail height. (a bunch of threads show)

That makes sense. When My PRS (an SE 245) was new, new, I took it to my guy. I wanted a new nut and 10's. Then, a setup. When I got it back, the stop tail was raised a lot it seemed. The bridge P/U too.
He claimed he lowered it, but my eye saw the stop tail immediately so ???
I wish I had checked the string/fretboard clearance before taking it there, but I didn't. I need to see if the fretboard demands this much stoptail height. (a bunch of threads show)

It's really a matter of taste. My action is a little higher than most but not extreme. You can set it up yourself. This is from the support section of this website:

Tuning and Set-up Hints

Action height is adjustable by raising or lowering the studs that the bridge sits on. To adjust the mounting studs, first detune the instrument to relieve all possible string tension on the bridge. Next, using a Quarter, perform the necessary height adjustments to the bridge. Then, retune the guitar. Bear in mind that the brass studs are a soft metal that could be prone to marring if adjustments are made too forcefully.

Intonation can be adjusted using the two allen set screws facing the tail end of the guitar. A strobe tuner or other electronic tuning device should be used. Match the octave (fretted) note of the first and sixth strings with their corresponding 12th fret open harmonics by shortening or lengthening the strings with the adjusting screws using the allen wrench provided. Start with the treble side and then go to the bass side, return to the treble side for one last check. The other four strings are present and will intonate correctly provided a conventionally gauged string set with a plain third (G) string is used. Use of a wound third string is not recommended with this bridge.

When setting the action at the 12th fret the string height should be 2/32" on the treble side to 5/64" on the bass side.

Remember to tune and retune until the process is complete.

Back