Is it a good idea?

Poisivede

Hi there guys!
Asking again for an advice:
I have a beautiful black Standard 22 2001(dragon II pickups) and I have the chance to trade it for a 1996 CE24 in white pearl. I don’t have the opportunity to try it so here it is..should I accept the trade? I play rock, and prog metal mostly.
I really like my std 22 but I also like 24 frets :D

thanks a lot peeps!

Dave

If you don’t “love” the 22, I say go for the 24. They’re the flagship. My old CE is irreplaceable.

Hmmmm...

I've always been a "only buy" kinda guy. Maybe I'm afraid of regret or seller's remorse or something, I dunno. If it were me, I'd try and find a way to get the CE24 without having to give up the 22.

I've only sold a guitar once, and that was because it was heavier than my preference and the neck was a bit too chunky.

If I couldn't find a way to have both, then I suppose the opportunity would have to pass me by as it just wouldn't have been "meant to be."

If you love that CU22, and absolutely know you want that CE24, I say make it happen, cap'n.

Again, this is just me, though.

Last edited:
Hi there guys!
Asking again for an advice:
I have a beautiful black Standard 22 2001(dragon II pickups) and I have the chance to trade it for a 1996 CE24 in white pearl. I don’t have the opportunity to try it so here it is..should I accept the trade? I play rock, and prog metal mostly.
I really like my std 22 but I also like 24 frets :D

thanks a lot peeps!

Dave

I wouldn't trade anything without trying it first - unless you never use the guitar you are trading. You never know whether the guitar is going to be a 'better' guitar for you and your 'needs'. The CE24 will sound different - particularly the 'neck' pup - even with the 'same' pups installed.Whether that's 'better' for you or not, only you can decide. I'd still check everything, especially on a old, used guitar to check frets, fret wear etc. You never know if its been modded, even if its had the original hardware re-installed, whether the 'neck' is still straight etc or if its going to be 'costly' to get playable because it needs a refret. for example.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours but I'd not trade without actually inspecting and playing the instrument first - especially not for items of that value.

I wouldn't trade anything without trying it first - unless you never use the guitar you are trading. You never know whether the guitar is going to be a 'better' guitar for you and your 'needs'. The CE24 will sound different - particularly the 'neck' pup - even with the 'same' pups installed.Whether that's 'better' for you or not, only you can decide. I'd still check everything, especially on a old, used guitar to check frets, fret wear etc. You never know if its been modded, even if its had the original hardware re-installed, whether the 'neck' is still straight etc or if its going to be 'costly' to get playable because it needs a refret. for example.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours but I'd not trade without actually inspecting and playing the instrument first - especially not for items of that value.

my bad, I wanted to write that I haven’t tried one yet, but I will go try it of course…a better question would be: would this be worth the trip( it is a 300km car trip)?

thanks and apologies for the misunderstanding

my bad, I wanted to write that I haven’t tried one yet, but I will go try it of course…a better question would be: would this be worth the trip( it is a 300km car trip)?

I've driven further to try a guitar.
If you try it and love it, do it.
I wouldn't make the trade because a) I don't need the extra 2 frets very often and b) I prefer a set neck to a bolt on. That shouldn't stop you though.

The ce24 will most likely have hfs/vb pickups which will be a lot different than the dragon2s in your current guitar.

I own three 1997 ces and they are great.

Again, I can't really answer for you. If its the 'right' guitar for you and its in great playable condition,then its totally worth the trip. A great instrument is always going to be 'worth it'. However, travelling 300km for something you don't really know if its going to be 'better' for you than your current Cu22, whether it offers the sounds you are looking for or the 'feel', may not be.

In my opinion, the Custom 22 is a different guitar to the Custom 24 (let alone a CE24 which has a different neck wood (Maple instead of Mahogany) and bolted on instead of set neck) - much more than just having 2 'extra' frets. The bridge is in a 'different' place relative to the body, the neck is a bit longer so the first fret is further away, the HB's are closer together, the neck Pup is closer to the bridge which changes how the Pup sounds etc. That changes how it 'feels' to play on a strap or sat down because the bridge is slightly further forward and neck is slightly longer. Chances are, it may also have a thinner neck than your Custom 22 as well as I expect the CE24 has a Wide/Thin compared to the Wide/Fat neck of the Custom22

Even without considering the actual condition of that guitar you are being offered in trade and that '300km' round trip, I'd still advise trying a CE24 - preferably one of similar age/specs to get an idea of what it actually 'feels' like to play, how it sounds etc. Failing that, try a Core Custom 24 over the 'newer' CE24's made since 2016 as these have a different body carve and bridge. That way you'd have a better idea on whether the CE24 is 'worth' the travel to check out in person. Its no point driving all that way when you don't like the way it 'feels' to play when you can get a reasonable idea of that from a trip to a Music store and tried out a few.

I think they are different enough to easily justify having both in your arsenal. In fact I do own 'both' (although my 'Custom 22' is the Special Semi-Hollow and I have the regular Core Custom 24 too, not a CE) because they are 'different'. Instead of putting all that money into your vehicle on 'fuel', you could put that towards adding a PRS 24 fret guitar to go alongside your Cu22 to give you another 'option'. Even the SE Cu24 is a 'great' option, the Cu24-08 is superb for its price. S2's are excellent too - no frills rock machines and plenty of used CE/Core 24's if 'new' is pushing your budget a bit too much.

The only reason to trade is if the CE24 suits you 'better' and will inspire you more, get more use etc otherwise its probably better to do your research, save your time and money until you can 'add' 24fret. Then if you find the Cu22 isn't getting 'used' anymore, you can sell...

I'd keep the Standard, because I like set necks with 22 frets, and there aren't all that many out there. Also, the CE was a less expensive guitar at the time, so it isn't an even-up trade.

Unless you really prefer the CE when you try it. In which case, go for it!

Back