Installing a Bigsby on my Starla SE...

Sharon Santos

Hi everyone,

I want to install a Bigsby (B5) on my 2020 Starla SE stoptail.
Do I need the Vibramate V5 or a V5-ST (short tail)?
Has anyone done this mod and do I need anything else?
Seems like a straightforward job...

Thanks,
Sharon

Hi everyone,

I want to install a Bigsby (B5) on my 2020 Starla SE stoptail.
Do I need the Vibramate V5 or a V5-ST (short tail)?
Has anyone done this mod and do I need anything else?
Seems like a straightforward job...

Thanks,
Sharon

Hi Sharon. I got nothing for you, but am eagerly awaiting other replies, and hope you'll share pics when you get it done!

Welcome to the forum.

Hey this is an old thread, but I did this just now and it might help someone.

fmhfQq4l.jpg

9kEBOHnl.jpg

So this was super straightforward. A couple things to note: your Starla tailpiece inserts are collared and sit on top of the body instead of flush with the top of the body. I did order some inserts as I got the Bigsby and Vibramate through another forum's classifieds but since they hadn't arrived yet, I thought I'd try it anyway. Your vibramate plate will not bend or flex. And even with flush inserts, there's pads separating the plate from your guitar's body. That being said, I do still have them on the way and will swap out inserts and probably change my spring too but that's personal preference. The stock inserts have a more flat break angle with the bridge. The replacement inserts will give a more steep break angle. I'm not too worried either way. On the whole, it holds it's tuning well, and does what a Bigsby does. If you want to get your SE a bit closer to its Core and S2 brethren, there's no better way.

EDIT: Came back to add that the replacement inserts with tops that would sit flush are too wide in diameter and would not fit my guitar without drilling. Since I've had zero tuning issues with the setup as is once strings have stretched, I've decided to not worry about the replacement inserts and continue to use this guitar as is with the vibramate. Honestly, it works perfectly. Only other thing I did was tighten up the bar as it had some play in it.

Last edited:
Hey this is an old thread, but I did this just now and it might help someone.

fmhfQq4l.jpg

9kEBOHnl.jpg

So this was super straightforward. A couple things to note: your Starla tailpiece inserts are collared and sit on top of the body instead of flush with the top of the body. I did order some inserts as I got the Bigsby and Vibramate through another forum's classifieds but since they hadn't arrived yet, I thought I'd try it anyway. Your vibramate plate will not bend or flex. And even with flush inserts, there's pads separating the plate from your guitar's body. That being said, I do still have them on the way and will swap out inserts and probably change my spring too but that's personal preference. The stock inserts have a more flat break angle with the bridge. The replacement inserts will give a more steep break angle. I'm not too worried either way. On the whole, it holds it's tuning well, and does what a Bigsby does. If you want to get your SE a bit closer to its Core and S2 brethren, there's no better way.

Looks nice.

Last edited:
Thanks! I couldn't find anyone else on the webs that had done one and posted about it so I took the plunge.

And I almost went that route. But my order kept getting pushed back and a full B5 and vibramate came up at a reasonable cost and was also completely reversible.

Back