Input jack issue. Should I contact PRS over this?

Jbyrd78

I bought a brand new PRS Custom 24 around 3 weeks ago. The guitar plays great, however, before the first week of ownership was up, I started having issues with the input jack. When I go to plug my cable in, it will not lock into place. Any slight movement and the cable disconnect's, and falls out.
I reached out to the store I purchased the guitar from, explained the situation to them, and asked them what I should do, but what they recommended is not helping either.
Is this issue that I am having, covered under my warranty, and something to reach out to PRS about? Or would I just be better off buying a new Switchcraft input jack, and having it installed?

Out of all the PRS's I've owned, this is the first issue I've ever had with one of their guitars. I just thought I'd hop on here and ask before I did anything because I don't want to void my warranty on the guitar.
If I need to reach out to PRS, does anyone have a number they can send me so I can get this taken care of in a timely manner?

I bought a brand new PRS Custom 24 around 3 weeks ago. The guitar plays great, however, before the first week of ownership was up, I started having issues with the input jack. When I go to plug my cable in, it will not lock into place. Any slight movement and the cable disconnect's, and falls out.
I reached out to the store I purchased the guitar from, explained the situation to them, and asked them what I should do, but what they recommended is not helping either.
Is this issue that I am having, covered under my warranty, and something to reach out to PRS about? Or would I just be better off buying a new Switchcraft input jack, and having it installed?

Out of all the PRS's I've owned, this is the first issue I've ever had with one of their guitars. I just thought I'd hop on here and ask before I did anything because I don't want to void my warranty on the guitar.
If I need to reach out to PRS, does anyone have a number they can send me so I can get this taken care of in a timely manner?

If its that new, you should return it to the Retailer to 'fix' under warranty. Warranty is with the Retailer, not PRS directly who will 'reimburse' the retailer for Warranty work. If the Input Jack needs to be replaced for example, PRS would supply the Jack for the retailer to replace under warranty.

The only time you should need to contact PRS is if the Guitar you own wasn't bought 'new' from a Retailer (so no Warranty given) or if something happens outside of the warranty - maybe Finish issues for example. In anycase, you would still need to send the whole instrument to PRS/retailer to sort out any issues with Faulty parts which is what the Warranty covers - so that they can check, assess, get data (who passed it did they 'miss' something, who installed it - maybe a training issue, is it a 'batch' issue with that Jack, just a one-off), install it properly, check it again to be 'certain' that its 'fixed' and that you will get back an instrument you expected at the quality you expect too.

And most retailers have a "no questions asked" return policy for some period (but maybe you are out of that). If they aren't helping you fix it and still in that return period, you should just return it.

The problem is, I bought the guitar from a store on Reverb. So I would have to ship the guitar back, and I really don't want to do that. I guess all I can do is reach out to the store, let them know I'm still having issues, and see if they have a input jack set in store, and if they can possibly send me one. Hopefully whatever website issues Reverb is having right now, will clear up soon so I can contact them about this.

Most often the prong type spring that hold the jack into the guitar needs a slight bend to hold it in place. It is very easy to pull the two screws and inspect the prong. If it needs a slight bend, you can do it then. Just pull it out a little and inspect, then decide.

The problem is, I bought the guitar from a store on Reverb. So I would have to ship the guitar back, and I really don't want to do that. I guess all I can do is reach out to the store, let them know I'm still having issues, and see if they have a input jack set in store, and if they can possibly send me one. Hopefully whatever website issues Reverb is having right now, will clear up soon so I can contact them about this.

Generally with 'warranty' issues, you do need to return everything to the Store - like you would if you contact PRS too btw to assess it properly and make sure it is installed correctly - also make sure that 'everything' else is working so you shouldn't need to contact them again. If they damage a wire for example they will 'fix' it there and then, if you do the 'repair' and damage a wire, that's on you, if it 'fails' again or doesn't 'fix' the issue you have, its not covered by warranty...

Therefore you 'need' to send the Whole guitar back and let them 'fix' it under warranty OR buy one and replace it yourself - a whole PRS jack unit/plate and wiring isn't 'that' expensive and there are 'cheaper' options but its up to you - its whether or not you want the 'hassle' of a Warranty fix or the D-I-Y route

That's always the Risk when you buy Online from a Store too far to 'return' in person to. That's how warranties are - PRS Sold that Guitar to the Retailer who then sells it to you - you have a Receipt and therefore Warranty with the retailer, who would then 'claim' from PRS who sold it to them. If it was a 'major' fault the Shop would have to 'replace' it with another they had and 'return' the other to PRS to get their money back...

Hopefully its not 'damaged' and a simple fix yourself if you investigate it to save you the hassle but you'd still have to send the Guitar to be 'repaired' under warranty - as that does include making sure that its 'perfect' before returning, no 'damage' incurred in carrying out the repair, no scratches or 'burns' from solder. It should come back as 'new' at least without any addition marks/scratches you may have already made and at the standard you expected when you bought it. If its not worth the hassle as you can and are happy to DiY it, do that - its your guitar now...

Last edited:
Likely just loose , take out the 4 screws holding in the jack and tighten the prongs a bit should be good to go.
it 2 - solder connections if you want to replace if its a new guitar contact PTC that likes will send you a new jack.

Likely just loose , take out the 4 screws holding in the jack and tighten the prongs a bit should be good to go.
it 2 - solder connections if you want to replace if its a new guitar contact PTC that likes will send you a new jack.

Yup, shouldn't take more than a couple minutes to fix. And by "tighten the prongs" all you gotta do is bend the metal piece with your hands to make better contact with the plug, Easy peasy. Test your cable in the jack before screwing the plate back on to be sure.

I’ve seen your symptoms where the jack nut was loose and when it was retightened the jack itself rotated inside the body. In a few cases the wiring interfered with the jack causing the prong to not close. In other cases the rotated prong hit on wood inside the cavity and prevented prong lock or full insertion. Pop the jack plate out and test the jack, I bet it is fine. Unwind the jack by loosening the nut, reposition and retighten before screwing the plate back in.

Lots of good suggestions. If you are slightly mechanically inclined you will be able to fix it very easily. Some folks are less intuitive, which is not intended as an insult. You can probably fix it yourself.

First good guitar I bought had an issue where the sound kept cutting out. I took it in and it was fixed for about $17.00. The guy who fixed it said he put electrical tape on a connection at the switch. It was then I decided I needed to be able to figure these things out and fix them myself. I became an Electronics Tech partly because of this. Guitar wiring It isn't rocket surgery.

I work on all my guitars and must admit that any work I do on them is like surgery to me. I’m very anxious about compliance with the hippocratic oath, “do no harm”. I once balanced a straight edge on the neck of my beautiful 30th Anniversary Custom 24 to check the neck relief only to have my cat tip it over and chip the finish on the guitar. If I could have caught her at that moment she would have had some surgery. Both of us went off like rockets too!

Back