Info about PRS fretwire.

StSpider

I've heard that PRS uses jescar fretwire which is said to be harder than common dunlop fretwire.

Is this correct? And did they always use that?

I'm asking because I have three PRS, a 91 CE, a 2003 McCarty and a 2017 Custom 24. All three play well, but the Custom just plays better than any other guitar I've ever played in 20 years. The frets are super smooth and remind me of SS frets, tho not as "slippery", which was too much for me.

Basically I want to know if I should look into jescar fretwire for my future refrets or if my olders PRS already have the same frets and they're just a recrown / polish away from playing as well as the Custom (I acquired both used and in the past few years).

Thanks!

Looks like there’s a pretty good thread here:

Looks like there’s a pretty good thread here:

Thank you for that. Read through it. Don't know the metal alloy of the frets on my new Paul's Guitar, but I'm pleased with them so far and probably won't change them to SS (even though all my other guitars are stainless steel fretted).

Been a long, long time since I've had a new PRS. I'm loving this Paul's Guitar. Gassing for a Private Stock DGT.

I only mention this because most guitars I own and play need the frets polished maybe once a year and it really does make the guitar nicer to play.

StewMac makes thise extremely thin steel fretboard protectors with a slot cut out of the middle the size of the fret.

I lay the metal fretboard protector over the fret with one hand, then polish the fret across the fretboard while protecting the wood from cross grain scratches with the protector.

Hmmm...looks like they've changed the design since I bought mine. Mine don't tie on.

I do this the first time I put new strings on every used guitar I get because every used guitar I get always has gunk and tarnish built up on the playing surface of the frets which makes them feel rough...especially when I bend notes. It's just gunk and tarnish. Not fret wear.

Using the fretboard protectors, I can easily polish to a nice smooth shine with some fine steel wool. 000 or 0000.

I use blue painters tape to cover the pickups so no steel wool dust gets on the pickups.

After i'm done polishing all 22 frets (I don't own any 24 fret guitars) I clean up any stray steel wool fibers, then oil the fingerboard and usually polish the guitar too. With strings off.

As for stainless steel frets: I don't like them.

As others have said, they make a guitar sound pingy, steely and (for me) annoying.

For me. Doesn't bother everyone I guess, but I can hear it and it bugs me.

Last edited:
I only mention this because most guitars I own and play need the frets polished maybe once a year and it really does make the guitar nicer to play.

StewMac makes thise extremely thin steel fretboard protectors with a slot cut out of the middle the size of the fret.

I lay the metal fretboard protector over the fret with one hand, then polish the fret across the fretboard while protecting the wood from cross grain scratches with the protector.

Hmmm...looks like they've changed the design since I bought mine. Mine don't tie on.

I do this the first time I put new strings on every used guitar I get because every used guitar I get always has gunk and tarnish built up on the playing surface of the frets which makes them feel rough...especially when I bend notes. It's just gunk and tarnish. Not fret wear.

Using the fretboard protectors, I can easily polish to a nice smooth shine with some fine steel wool. 000 or 0000.

I use blue painters tape to cover the pickups so no steel wool dust gets on the pickups.

After i'm done polishing all 22 frets (I don't own any 24 fret guitars) I clean up any stray steel wool fibers, then oil the fingerboard and usually polish the guitar too. With strings off.

As for stainless steel frets: I don't like them.

As others have said, they make a guitar sound pingy, steely and annoying.

For me. Doesn't bother everyone I guess, but I can hear it and it bugs me.
Wow, I really like that new tie on system, mine have handles on them. Only problem with that idea is, when you get to the upper frets (unless you have a detachable neck and want to take it off to polish the highest frets) you won't be able to tie them on, so then would need to hold them without any handle which would be a PITA.

Wow, I really like that new tie on system, mine have handles on them. Only problem with that idea is, when you get to the upper frets (unless you have a detachable neck and want to take it off to polish the highest frets) you won't be able to tie them on, so then would need to hold them without any handle which would be a PITA.
Mine have no handle or tie ons. They're just the original StewMac version from 15 or 20 years ago. I just hold it with one hand and polish with the other. What do you use? I use fine steel wool and tape off the pickups with blue painter's tape,

Mine have no handle or tie ons. They're just the original StewMac version from 15 or 20 years ago. I just hold it with one hand and polish with the other. What do you use? I use fine steel wool and tape off the pickups with blue painter's tape,
First of all, I am a total babe in the woods on this stuff as my hours on guitar was probably less than 500 in my whole life up until the year 2021. Since the beginning of 2021, I have probably played about 4000 hours, so dressing frets has become part of my world in guitar maintenance (in part due to my ham fisted grip). I use fret erasers to smooth/degrime them and then I use a "Miracle Cloth" or "Gorgomyte" to shine them up and give them a bit of slipperyness. I will usually finish with a microfiber if I am going to be taking pictures of it to get that extra sparkle!

Here are the fret guards I have from Music Nomad:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c1234--Guitar_Tools?highlight=MN225&mrkgadid=&mrkgcl=28

As I said above, I really like the idea of the fasten on ones, but for the highest 3-5 frets, you would have to hold on to them and having the handles on the ones I have is an advantage for that situation IMO!

First of all, I am a total babe in the woods on this stuff as my hours on guitar was probably less than 500 in my whole life up until the year 2021. Since the beginning of 2021, I have probably played about 4000 hours, so dressing frets has become part of my world in guitar maintenance (in part due to my ham fisted grip). I use fret erasers to smooth/degrime them and then I use a "Miracle Cloth" or "Gorgomyte" to shine them up and give them a bit of slipperyness. I will usually finish with a microfiber if I am going to be taking pictures of it to get that extra sparkle!

Here are the fret guards I have from Music Nomad:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c1234--Guitar_Tools?highlight=MN225&mrkgadid=&mrkgcl=28

As I said above, I really like the idea of the fasten on ones, but for the highest 3-5 frets, you would have to hold on to them and having the handles on the ones I have is an advantage for that situation IMO!
Never saw those before. Whatever works tho!

I just ordered one like yours to try.

Might make life easier. :p

Thanks!

Last edited:
I haven't used them, but noticed Music Nomad is now offering full fretboard shields, in various scale lengths. Not sure if they're worth $50, especially as most of us have more than one scale length in our collections it could add up quick. But interesting...

Back