Incoming!: Business in the front, party in the back. UPDATE: The party has arrived.

And it’s here! First, big thanks to Brett at Eddie’s for hooking me up with this and getting it shipped crazy fast.

So I was originally patiently waiting for a mullet DGT from Eddies but I had kept looking at this guy and been really tempted to go for it. I’ve been interested in the special semi hollow for awhile but reluctant due to not getting along with middle pickups because I always hit them with my pick.

Apparently this came with some buffing issues from PRS so Brett was able to give me a great deal on it and now that I see it in person they’re barely noticeable. He definitely went out of his way to make sure I knew the condition of the guitar and I really appreciate it!

I won’t have a chance to play it much until after my son goes to bed tonight but so far I’m really digging it! The looks are so great in person. As much as I love crazy flame tops, the black top with the Ziricote fretboard, swamp ash back and stained maple neck are really doing it for me in a whole different way.

40-AFB778-CC2-F-48-C0-B94-E-45-E568629-B59.jpg

59731381-D1-E7-4-B3-B-89-CE-B1-EBF005-C407.jpg

AD5-DD59-C-B4-AF-4908-9-F70-CC8-A0-DB53-C97.jpg

47-FBB403-1-D20-43-D4-95-ED-DFFBF0-ADD29-C.jpg

EAD407-EE-A7-F4-4-C16-84-CF-1-A34-C3563845.jpg

C0-D891-D4-8-F92-4361-B3-F2-4-B352-BDB7-A52.jpg

And it’s here! First, big thanks to Brett at Eddie’s for hooking me up with this and getting it shipped crazy fast.

So I was originally patiently waiting for a mullet DGT from Eddies but I had kept looking at this guy and been really tempted to go for it. I’ve been interested in the special semi hollow for awhile but reluctant due to not getting along with middle pickups because I always hit them with my pick.

Apparently this came with some buffing issues from PRS so Brett was able to give me a great deal on it and now that I see it in person they’re barely noticeable. He definitely went out of his way to make sure I knew the condition of the guitar and I really appreciate it!

I won’t have a chance to play it much until after my son goes to bed tonight but so far I’m really digging it! The looks are so great in person. As much as I love crazy flame tops, the black top with the Ziricote fretboard, swamp ash back and stained maple neck are really doing it for me in a whole different way.

40-AFB778-CC2-F-48-C0-B94-E-45-E568629-B59.jpg

59731381-D1-E7-4-B3-B-89-CE-B1-EBF005-C407.jpg

AD5-DD59-C-B4-AF-4908-9-F70-CC8-A0-DB53-C97.jpg

47-FBB403-1-D20-43-D4-95-ED-DFFBF0-ADD29-C.jpg

EAD407-EE-A7-F4-4-C16-84-CF-1-A34-C3563845.jpg

C0-D891-D4-8-F92-4361-B3-F2-4-B352-BDB7-A52.jpg
Alright, that is officially cool as fack!

Thanks guys! It was too unique for me to pass up, especially because I've been looking for a black top PRS for a long time.

I do have a question to everyone else that has the special semi hollow. When you tap the bridge and put the pickup selector in position two and three, does it sound kind of anemic to you? I've attached an example of what I'm hearing, in the audio clip I start on bridge then go bridge tapped, bridge and middle, bridge tapped and middle, bridge and neck, bridge tapped and neck, neck tapped and bridge, bridge and neck tapped, neck and middle, neck tapped and middle, neck and finally neck tapped. My 24-08 doesn't sound like this when I put it in the middle position and tap the bridge so I'm not sure if something is wrong or not.

https://soundcloud.com/user-249191246/special-22

Last edited:
Thanks guys! It was too unique for me to pass up, especially because I've been looking for a black top PRS for a long time. I do have a question to everyone else that has the special semi hollow. When you tap the bridge and put the pickup selector in position two and three, does it sound kind of anemic to you? I've attached an example of what I'm hearing, in the audio clip I start on bridge then go bridge tapped, bridge and middle, bridge tapped and middle, bridge and neck, bridge tapped and neck, neck tapped and bridge, bridge and neck tapped, neck and middle, neck tapped and middle, neck and finally neck tapped. My 24-08 doesn't sound like this when I put it in the middle position and tap the bridge so I'm not sure if something is wrong or not.

https://soundcloud.com/user-249191246/special-22
It has been quite a while since I tried one of these, but I don’t remember it sounding like that. I think something is getting grounded out.

It has been quite a while since I tried one of these, but I don’t remember it sounding like that. I think something is getting grounded out.

Yea after playing around with it more and listening to some YouTube clips I definitely think something is wrong. The bridge pickup is fine when it’s tapped by itself but whenever I mix it with another pickup the output drops substantially and it sounds like it loses all frequencies except the treble.

Back