Impossible to get covers of PRS pickups

Krausewitz

Why is it so damned hard to get the pickup covers off!? I wanted to change the magnets in one set of 58/15 LTs. I've changed magents in other HBs before so "no problem!" I thought.

Nope.

This is the most stubborn solder I have EVER come across. It's insane. I eventually had to give up. Maybe I'll take it to a tech (which is a nice way of saying "it's never happening" since I don't have the time for that)?

Has anyone else had this issue?

New :) non lead based solder is MUCH harder to remove.
you need a really hot iron and then add new solder to get the melting started also have something ( thin plastic ) to put in the gap.
The ones I have removed have also been wax potted that makes it harder also

New :) non lead based solder is MUCH harder to remove.
you need a really hot iron and then add new solder to get the melting started also have something ( thin plastic ) to put in the gap.
The ones I have removed have also been wax potted that makes it harder also
Yeah- if it’s a small iron appropriate for electronics work, it may not get hot enough…the cover is acting like a heat sink.

Yeah, that doesn't quite track with me. Maybe the pickup got shorted from all the bits of metal flying around?

From memory I believe it was a combination of heating up the pickup through the blade cutting the solder and the magnetic field from the motor.

The pickup lost a significant amount of output.

I’ve done it many times. Best way is to use a razor blade - as used in scrapers - and work it through the solder. Rocking and pushing. Requires some elbow grease.

PRS covers are very, very thin. They are thinnest I have ever measured. The major and boutique builders, and parts suppliers hadn’t heard of the measurements I gave them. The point is they are rather fragile and very easy to dent. I highly recommend putting painters tape across the covers to prevent scratching, as well as doing the work on a thick towel or a padded repair mat help prevent denting the covers. If you slightly bend the sides while prying through the solder, they are easy to bend back by hand.

Don’t be tempted to use a 1mm angle cutter blade either. I know someone (not me) who did this and de-guassed the magnets.
Razor blades are attracted to magnets, but are not magnetic themselves. Any magnetic charge they might pickup would be insufficient to degauss pickup magnets.

Degaussing works by exposing the ioriginal magnet to powerful magnetic field in order to rearrange the polarity of its particles.

Simply put, there’s way a razor blade can absorb and emit enough magnetic power to overwhelm an Alnico magnet bar as used in pickups. The pickup magnet is much, much more powerful. Remember, those magnets are powerful enough to disrupt the strings’ vibrations if/when raised too close to the strings.

It is far more likely those pickup magnets were degaussed by a similarly powerful magnet (i.e. another pickup magnet) or, more likely, an electromagnetic field emitted by an electrical device or appliance. An example of common devices that emit electromagnetic fields:
  • Microwave ovens
  • Computers (laptops, desktops)
  • Home energy smart meters.
  • WiFi devices and/or networks
  • Cell phones.
  • Bluetooth devices

Razor blades are attracted to magnets, but are not magnetic themselves. Any magnetic charge they might pickup would be insufficient to degauss pickup magnets.

Degaussing works by exposing the ioriginal magnet to powerful magnetic field in order to rearrange the polarity of its particles.

Simply put, there’s way a razor blade can absorb and emit enough magnetic power to overwhelm an Alnico magnet bar as used in pickups. The pickup magnet is much, much more powerful. Remember, those magnets are powerful enough to disrupt the strings’ vibrations if/when raised too close to the strings.

It is far more likely those pickup magnets were degaussed by a similarly powerful magnet (i.e. another pickup magnet) or, more likely, an electromagnetic field emitted by an electrical device or appliance. An example of common devices that emit electromagnetic fields:
  • Microwave ovens
  • Computers (laptops, desktops)
  • Home energy smart meters.
  • WiFi devices and/or networks
  • Cell phones.
  • Bluetooth devices

It was an angle grinder (with 1mm blade) that was used, which contained a magnetic field in its motor and the heat build up of the blade was also a possible cause.

I’m only relating an experience that a friend had.

It was a twin pickup guitar. The other pickup that hadn’t had the cover removed like this did not have the loss of magnetic power. So it’s unlikely the magnet on the affected pickup had already been de-guassed.

It’s just a precautionary tale.

Just get new pickups. 58/18LTs are the real deal.
Why get new pickups when I just want to change the magnet?

I like that soft A2 sound in my 594…but it’s not what I want for the SSH.
Because if you ruin the 58/18 LT in the process… Dude, I get it. I’ll be the last to get in a DIYers way, but non-Pb solder is really tough stuff. Look up Onamac Windery for your magnet of choice. Some of the very best pickups I’ve ever heard.

Just get new pickups. 58/18LTs are the real deal.

Because if you ruin the 58/18 LT in the process… Dude, I get it. I’ll be the last to get in a DIYers way, but non-Pb solder is really tough stuff. Look up Onamac Windery for your magnet of choice. Some of the very best pickups I’ve ever heard.

I have to agree with you there. I have a set of Texas Special Single Coils in a Strat. Through my Mesa they’re very toneful.

I bought a set of PAF’s from @Fullmoon 1971 tht are the bomb too. They went into my SE245

I have a set of Texas Special Single Coils in a Strat. Through my Mesa they’re very toneful.

I bought a set of PAF’s from @Fullmoon 1971 tht are the bomb too. They went into my SE245
+2: Agree on both the Texas Specials (sound awesome in Teles too) as well as swapping out stock SE245 pups, in this case to Wolfetone Marshallhead A2/Dr Vintage.

Wasn't aware of the switch to non-Pb solder but makes one appreciate uncovered, unpotted pups. Had to flip the magnet on a uncovered & unpotted neck pup once and it took about 15 minutes total as the strings didn't even need to come off, just loosened.

Why get new pickups when I just want to change the magnet?

I like that soft A2 sound in my 594…but it’s not what I want for the SSH.
Man I'm with you on experimenting with magnets and the LT or any pickup. PRS has done plenty of experimenting with the LT over the years with multiple versions. Make them your own!

The razor blade thing has worked well for me over the years.

From memory I believe it was a combination of heating up the pickup through the blade cutting the solder and the magnetic field from the motor.

The pickup lost a significant amount of output.
Oooh, if he was holding the tool over the pickup while cutting, that could have done something.

Not sure the heat would do anything, after all the giant soldier blob takes a ton of heat to put on or take off.

Back