I'm thinking about Soapies...

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hello all,

I've been thinking about picking up another PRS loaded with soapbar pickups. (I owned a McSoapy Standard for awhile a few years ago. I also owned a Private Stock SCT with P90s.) I have a 1959 Les Paul Junior which sounds amazing, but I really love the tone of a P-90 in the neck as well, which obviously doesn't work too well with the Junior. :p

I'm kind of torn about which model to get though. I REALLY liked that McCarty Standard I had. But now I'm being bombarded with Korina McSoapies, Custom 22s with 3 P-90s, and Ted McCarty models in Doublecut and Singlecut bodies. Truth be told, I think I'm leaning towards a Ted DC245...And I'd really prefer a Ted with a rosewood neck, but I don't think they made those with P-90s. (Did they?)

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations? Of course, I'd love to try them out, but I can't recall ever seeing a PRS in a store with soapies, except for the Mira models.

Thanks,
Brad

Oh yeah, I'd sell body parts for one of those ultra-rare 1999 McCarty models with the Brazilian neck and soapbars. :)

I like some P90 action, but can't seem to justify owning one. I have been meaning to try out the Duncan P-Rails for some time. I believe Tom Anderson has also made a P90 pup that fits a bucker slot. These would be a bit more my speed since I could swamp them out if I decided the P90 option wasn't really working for me long run. Maybe a PTC project is in order.

I'm definitely still on the lookout for one of the BRW McSoapies. But I stumbled upon this little gem online. I got a "Black Friday" deal on it. Can't wait to try it out. I've never played a Ted before, but I have high hopes.

8B285DEA-19A6-47BD-9220-2D35994FB56E_zpsrtppjaab.jpg

Oh yeah...I'm going to have to do something about that truss rod cover. Such a pretty instrument, then they slap that monstrosity on the headstock. :p

Oh yeah...I'm going to have to do something about that truss rod cover. Such a pretty instrument, then they slap that monstrosity on the headstock. :p

Forum TRC!

Congrats on the deal. Hopefully she arrives safe and sound.

Have a McSoapy Standard. Tone MACHINE!
The TRC...I felt the same about the one on the Studio. Just looks so cheap and kindergarten.
Different strokes I guess but mine got flipped upside down until a proper one could get here.
Nice score.

Back