I'm in love, but don't tell my wife.

Revelation

I have no idea why the PRS Studio guitar is not more popular, but man is it a great guitar. The tremolo is the best I ever used, the back pickup has the 594 back pickup which is great. The new narrow field pickups are fuller than a Strat pickup but lighter than a full humbucker. The in-between sounds are wonderful, and the neck pattern is easier to hold than the vintage pattern on the 594. This purple color also looks amazing. I'm in love with this guitar, but don't tell my wife. I have to figure out how to bring this guitar. home. :D

Last edited:
I like the model but I refuse to buy a guitar that has proprietary sized pickups in it. Those narrow fields kill it for me. I very well could love the sound of them but if I didn't, nothing else fits in those cavities. There have been a few models that have used those that have kept me away for that reason. I tried a 513 once and it was the same thing. I liked it but didn't really love the pickups and nothing else fits in it.

Every time I use my Studio I think "geez, this might be the most useful guitar PRS ever came out with." It sounds great in every setting, is easy to use, and can get a wide array of sound without having to do much. Nicer guitars have gone back up on their wall mounts and I use the Studio for all my band work currently. I liked the Studio so much I asked my LGS to have a Wood Library version made.

I like the model but I refuse to buy a guitar that has proprietary sized pickups in it. Those narrow fields kill it for me. I very well could love the sound of them but if I didn't, nothing else fits in those cavities. There have been a few models that have used those that have kept me away for that reason. I tried a 513 once and it was the same thing. I liked it but didn't really love the pickups and nothing else fits in it.
I felt the same way for a long time until I tried it. I'm definitely a tinkerer. One time when my friend and I met Paul, he pointed at me and said "this guy will buy one of your guitars just to take a soldering iron and a drill to it." But the Studio doesn't need any tinkering. If you feel it's not 100% what you're after, don't buy one. But the first time I tried one I was blown away. I thought it was awesome. Still do.

If I'm unsure about the pickups on a guitar, I shy away from it. I've been fortunate with the post-2008 PRS pickups (408s. Narrowfields, 57/08s, 53/10s, etc). I probably simply share Paul Smith's tastes in electronics at this point. If so, it's a good coincidence.

But your point is well taken. If you don't buy in 100% to that particular tone, it's smart to back away.

If I'm unsure about the pickups on a guitar, I shy away from it. I've been fortunate with the post-2008 PRS pickups (408s. Narrowfields, 57/08s, 53/10s, etc). I probably simply share Paul Smith's tastes in electronics at this point. If so, it's a good coincidence.

But your point is well taken. If you don't buy in 100% to that particular tone, it's smart to back away.
Well, with non proprietary sized PUs that never stopped me. I generally think that a PU is not a part of the fundentals of a guitar, just as the sauce is not a part of the steak. They should complement one another, but sauce (and PUs) are part of the flavouring.

I love my CU22 and McSoapy. However if I let the PUs be a deciding factor, I would not have bough lt those guitars, since I did not care for the dragonIIs or hot P90s in them. Cost me less than USD300 per guitar to make them fantastic.

Well, with non proprietary sized PUs that never stopped me. I generally think that a PU is not a part of the fundentals of a guitar, just as the sauce is not a part of the steak. They should complement one another, but sauce (and PUs) are part of the flavouring.

I love my CU22 and McSoapy. However if I let the PUs be a deciding factor, I would not have bough lt those guitars, since I did not care for the dragonIIs or hot P90s in them. Cost me less than USD300 per guitar to make them fantastic.

Since 2008 PRS has made plenty of sweet guitars with pickups I love. I buy those and don't have to swap out pickups any more. That makes me happy.

I can't think of a reason to order a steak at a restaurant that makes a sauce I don't like, when I can choose a restaurant that makes a great steak AND a great sauce. :)

Back