I wish there was a modern McCarty

I think I could source an unplated (raw brass) trem for you.
If it will work and look right I am open. What I am finding in my initial dive is these trems don't replace the Gen III trem. If that is the case, I have the best paperweight or door stop the world ever has seen.

If it will work and look right I am open. What I am finding in my initial dive is these trems don't replace the Gen III trem. If that is the case, I have the best paperweight or door stop the world ever has seen.
Ohh… snap, that’s right, I forgot the spacing on the Gen III was different. Duh..my bad. Good thing I didn’t break in!

How about I slide down the chimney and put some non locking saddles and a synthetic nut on there?

The envy I have for that guitar is insane! It almost hurts me (not really) as much as the t does you that you haven’t been able to play it.

How about I slide down the chimney and put some non locking saddles and a synthetic nut on there?

The envy I have for that guitar is insane! It almost hurts me (not really) as much as the t does you that you haven’t been able to play it.
I am down with that. Sounds good to me. When will you arrive?

The _______ I have for this guitar is out of this F___ing world. You may not literally hurt but I do in many ways on this one...

I stumbled across this video from Shawn Tubbs about his 2012 custom spec McCarty. At 4:31 he says PRS didn't like the idea of the vintage style klusons.

So I'm seriously considering a private stock, but still trying to decide on specific specs (who knew speccing your dream guitar is not a 5 min job?). Putting the stoptail on a 24-08 would essentially be a slim Paul's guitar, but I think the 24-08 has to be the base model for this for the thin body, 25" scale, normal-sized pickups, neck carve and locking tuners. I'm still undecided on pickups, the number of frets, colour/finish and the bridge.

Do you guys think the 2-piece bridge would work with the 24-08 control layout? Practicality/playability wise? The tailpiece is flat to the body so hopefully it wouldn't be in the way of the toggle. What do you think? Has anyone done this config private stock before?

I photoshop'd an example:

0ezCd7U.jpg

Like all businesses that manage to stay in business, PRS only builds models that sell. If they don't sell they stop making

I know, and it’s disappointing that most people just want PRS to make them a Les Paul or a Strat, rather than truly loving what made PRS unique in the first place. It is what it is I guess.

Thankfully private stock can still get me what I want, modern iterations on heritage.

I know, and it’s disappointing that most people just want PRS to make them a Les Paul or a Strat, rather than truly loving what made PRS unique in the first place. It is what it is I guess.

Thankfully private stock can still get me what I want, modern iterations on heritage.
That's because PRS makes better "Les Pauls" and "Strats" than Gibson and Fender.

I do think you're obsessing a little though.

Can't you just find a used guitar you love and put your favorite pickups in it?

That's what I'd do. That's what I've always done.

That's because PRS makes better "Les Pauls" and "Strats" than Gibson and Fender.

I do think you're obsessing a little though.

Can't you just find a used guitar you love and put your favorite pickups in it?

That's what I'd do. That's what I've always done.
It’s not about pickups, I can swap pickups myself. It’s about feel, hence why I am looking at private stock. I love that the PRS niche was the halfway house between Gibson and Fender, I just want more halfway, not more towards Gibson or Fender.

My latest question was about the practicality of the 2-piece bridge with the 24-08 control layout via private stock, since I can’t try before I buy.

Find a Paul's with a trem, perhaps? Used the McCarty as the base, no neck binding, moderate output pu's, etc.
It’s trems I dislike, otherwise the Custom 24-08 would be the dream.

The whole point of the McCarty was to have a more vintage sounding instrument.

If you want a thinner/more 'modern' version of the McCarty with a stop tail, just look for an older Custom 22, Artist II, etc. Stop tails used to be an option on that model. I had several.

I do think the thicker body on the McCarty makes for a slightly better tone, but I like vintage stuff anyway.

I have a recent McCarty with Phase III tuners and an adjustable stoptail, and its in the shop as we speak having Bareknuckle Polymaths installed. Its going to absolutely rip with that setup, I think - very modern. I can't wait. The neck is incredible. I am not into neck binding either, but the yellow tiger 10-top with white plastic and faux bone tuning pegs make the binding fit the aesthetic perfectly so I'm coming around to like it.

The whole point of the McCarty was to have a more vintage sounding instrument.

If you want a thinner/more 'modern' version of the McCarty with a stop tail, just look for an older Custom 22, Artist II, etc. Stop tails used to be an option on that model. I had several.

I do think the thicker body on the McCarty makes for a slightly better tone, but I like vintage stuff anyway.

Indeed. I already have a core Custom 22 with stoptail from the 2013 revamp. And I have a core SC245 from 2014 with the 2-piece bridge. I think my dream guitar is a blend of both with the 24-08 switching/control layout.

I was only asking about my photoshop idea as it’s a lot of money to get it wrong, but to get it right, totally worth it. I was hoping someone could devils advocate the bridge / control layout idea.

Indeed. I already have a core Custom 22 with stoptail from the 2013 revamp. And I have a core SC245 from 2014 with the 2-piece bridge. I think my dream guitar is a blend of both with the 24-08 switching/control layout.

I was only asking about my photoshop idea as it’s a lot of money to get it wrong, but to get it right, totally worth it. I was hoping someone could devils advocate the bridge / control layout idea.
Seems like it'd be a really nice guitar, if you ask me. But for that kind of money, I'd want to talk to Paul Miles or Tina in PRS' Private Stock department, and get their take on it.

Paul provided input on my PS acoustic build that worked out great.

Get a dustie hardtail man. If the pickups are too hot (and that bridge is scorching hot) then swap them out. Could easily install 85/15 or other brands.

You could always easily swap to a 3 way blade and instal push pulls instead of 5 way blade. That way you also don’t have to worry about flipping the magnets that the damn 5 way requires to get the proper sounds.

A CU24/08 with a Wide fat or even better a Santana or Silver Sky Carve would be a take my money guitar.
I can play a wide thin but it's my least favorite carve.

Back