I gained some direction but still...

Sam.e.dimeo

Alright, I apologize. The last thread actually gave me great direction. I wasn't sure if I should update it, or do a new one with my new direction. Thank you mtgguitar!
For some reason I thought the gallery was pictures of happy people getting their new babies and such, didn't want to get jealous. I think a core model is the way to go for me. But there are so many great options, picking a model has become really crazy. Most of the unique tonewood profiles on the internet talk about how it'll look over time and don't even give a wood sound graphic chart. On some level yes part of picking is looks. I like rustic or classic faded varnish beauty rather then clean modern, but ultimately I will play the best sounding instrument for my approach I can afford. If it says I am a pretty pretty princess in big letters so be it. I would find it hilarious if you guys tested this, just nothing offensive. Ive done a basic elimination of some based on looks and crossover of woods used, but so many are left. Can I afford a type of Rosewood? It's the holy grail supposedly. But would it even then be best for how I play and want to develop. I can find little of use on ziricote, bloodwood, pink ivory, and even cocobolo. I swear I've heard of the last talked about many times. As always. Thanks to prs for being the company for me. Any links or direct questions to clarify my approach or filter my perspective would be great.

Seeing your other thread, it seems like you are looking for an acoustic.
It really isn’t clear what you want from the guitar. I don’t think Rosewood is the holy grail for an acoustic. It’s good, but might not be ideal if you have only one acoustic.

For me, the baseline is mahogany back, sides and neck with a spruce top and an ebony fingerboard. Everything else is for flavour.

Yes sorry to not clarify, definitely an acoustic. I really only have experience with lower level mahogany guitars but have really liked some of the low tone resonance aspects. They tended to get muddy in the middle to my ear and not have a touch of twinkle to the high end. Those guitars had decent tops but not high quality spruce. I have only in the last decade really been able to hear when something is lacking because of quality of wood. The basis of the sound Im working with is modifying an approach I saw Tommy Emmanuel use. In which he gains a real distinct tonal quality to the low end part by lightly palm muting the picking hand low end while playing. The difference in tonal parts is united like the mastering effect of putting things in the same room by the unity of coming from one instrument. I apologize this is the first time I'm trying to actually nail this down in words. It's feels like it's half thought diarrhea.

P.s. to clarify, you are a fan of using the same wood for back and sides? It makes sense to me, but I am intrigued by the concept of mixing sounds. Haha maybe not intrigued enough for a thousands of dollars experiment though. If I hit it rich some day heck yes though haha.

Also to further clarify I agree with mtgguitar that a core model is the better approach for where I'm at. Something proven, but I'm trying to narrow it by learning the true high end wood sounds responsivenessess (no idea about extending that word apparently) relative to the general frequencies I am leaning on in the approach I take. Thought diarrhea.

Alright haha I'm driven. A prs is worth securing while I can even if I have to extend my budget a little. I've done a little listening. Unfortunately really hard to find videos of the actual prs models to get a feel for how the unique bracing system actually influences the pairing sound design. Spruce top for sure. I apparently very much appreciate rosewood but it's not my thing. I do like mahogany's low end, but at least on the few guitars I saw videos of there was a little to much mid where I like a kind of natural eq dip and the punctuation on the highs was a little less twinkly and pronounced then I'd like. It's tough to tell, no one player or shop rep seems to have examples of all to allow exact style and recording based comparisons. I really liked the bass response on cocobolo. That, palm muted would give me a sexier low end tone then I've ever achieved. The high end wasn't there though. I love the high end of pink ivory it's perfect for what I want haha but not the low end. Once again I don't know how exact these different recordings can be compared but they aren't just uniformed YouTubers. Should I reconsider working out a custom?

I don’t think building a custom makes sense until you really know enough to make informed choices. Until then it is just an expensive sink hole. Perhaps if you find a building you are willing to trust to make choices for you based on how you express what you want. Still a crap shoot if you can’t quite say what you want.

Yes thank you. I'm constantly reevaluating as I gain more insight. Reaffirming things really help because I'm jumping. I rarely have stacks of money and even less don't have that already designated to go out when it comes in. I've been over every core model acoustic, found the closest high end guitars in multiple presentations. I'm solo and use amplification, so getting something that will grow with me and influence my growth to work with can provide a signal I can slightly modify (I try to keep as pure a sound besides what would be considered live mastering type effects) and be ecstatic.
Thank you so much veinbuster, you've been a super duper brainstorming help. Also much thanks and respect to mtgguitar. The model I held to research last because it was the one I was most drawn to, actually fits the sound I'd like best. Beautiful!!! I didn't hear it hit exactly what I wanted in comparison videos, but it's a different company and the prs growth with playing and style creating the signature of the sound is so solid. I'm in. I know what I want, I'll search it out, hopefully can find a completely blank even unboxed one last played in test at the luthier shop. I'm wreckless Eric ing it. Going the whole wide world just to find her.

Thank you all again so much. I found an older wiser fellow then myself to help hands on guide me. And yes I'm a jump in guy, but it's less crazy if you know I live in the usvi and the one local shops owner fell I'll 5 years ago. I hope he's doing better but the shop has remained closed. They really only carried up to 1000 instruments in limited stock. I've had to order guitars from internet research for years with a 200 shipping fee. I am in the process of moving, and being up there to pick it up and drive it home is one of the bigger reasons.

Back