I finally bought a Hollowbody II

I'd gladly play a Spruce HB!! Sad the present HB II models don't come with Archtop pickups anymore.

Nope, it's why I won't buy a new HB. PRS used to have pickups in the guitars that were voiced for it - putting in the same pickups that are in CU22, P22, P24 is being lazy.

Nope, it's why I won't buy a new HB. PRS used to have pickups in the guitars that were voiced for it - putting in the same pickups that are in CU22, P22, P24 is being lazy.

I see where your coming from, and I've never tried Archtop pickups so I can't truthfully agree or disagree anyway. However, I absolutely love the 57/08's in my HB. And from what I remember reading, it seemed a lot of people really did not like the Archtop pickups. That was the concensus I was getting. They were pretty low output pickups, no? And while that may be great for some people, I wouldn't want less output than the 57/08's give me. I personally think they are perfect for the guitar.

But to each their own, YMMV, different strokes and all that jazz!! :tongue:

I see where your coming from, and I've never tried Archtop pickups so I can't truthfully agree or disagree anyway. However, I absolutely love the 57/08's in my HB. And from what I remember reading, it seemed a lot of people really did not like the Archtop pickups. That was the concensus I was getting. They were pretty low output pickups, no? And while that may be great for some people, I wouldn't want less output than the 57/08's give me. I personally think they are perfect for the guitar.

But to each their own, YMMV, different strokes and all that jazz!! :tongue:

I don't hear any output difference between them and my CU24 with HFS/VB in them

To add a bit more flavor to the HB with 57/08's vs. Archtops argument, I'll add my .02.

Yes, the Archtop set is by design a lower output version of the original McCarty pickups and was originally developed for the deeper body Archtop guitar, but IMO they sounded fantastic in that application especially in the spruce top version. Lots of clarity and definition, and sounded great for jazz with the tone rolled off a bit. I've also tried both sets in a regular HB and thought they both sounded great, but can understand how some may prefer the 57/08's as they provided a bit more output yet retained plenty of clarity. But again, in the original Archtop model in particular, I think the Archtop pickups were spot on.

Comments above are all interesting. I have a new HB II on order with 57/08's and I already have a HB I with Archtops. I plan to do a tone test as soon as the new one arrives. Hopefully I will have the new HB II tomorrow, but I am not optimistic given current UPS tracking status. I really like the jazz type sound that I get out of the HB I with the tone settings as suggested by AaeCee.

Comments above are all interesting. I have a new HB II on order with 57/08's and I already have a HB I with Archtops. I plan to do a tone test as soon as the new one arrives. Hopefully I will have the new HB II tomorrow, but I am not optimistic given current UPS tracking status. I really like the jazz type sound that I get out of the HB I with the tone settings as suggested by AaeCee.

Can't wait to see/hear your A/B of the two. Is your HB! a spruce or maple top like the rest

I was hoping the guitar would arrive today, but I just checked the latest UPS tracking info and I am not optimistic.:confused: My HB I is a 2008 Hollowbody, spruce top, mahogany back, mahogany neck with a wide/fat carve, East Indian rosewood fretboard, Vintage Natural finish with Archtop pickups. Not 100% sure about the new guitar specs other than it is charcoal burst with 57/08's (there is a long story behind this purchase). Will let you know rest of specs when it arrives.

So glad this thread continues to discuss the merits of various HB models!

My Spruce HB with Archtops most definitely has a lower output than any other PRSi I own. The mag pups are equivalent to about 7 or 8 on my 2002 Cu24 (with HFS+VB), and equivalent to about 6 or 7 on my 2014 P24 (with P22s a.k.a. 57/08s). The piezo of the Spruce HB is signal matched to the mag pups (not sure how intentional vs happenstance that may be), so it is equivalent to about 6 or 7 of the piezo on my P24.

Hmm, maybe I need to pick up a couple more HBs: a HBII with new pups (57/08s) and see if I can find an older HB II with archtops. Then I can compare all three (plus the P24!). Ooh, and maybe an actual Archtop...

Dang, got GAS again...

So glad this thread continues to discuss the merits of various HB models!

My Spruce HB with Archtops most definitely has a lower output than any other PRSi I own. The mag pups are equivalent to about 7 or 8 on my 2002 Cu24 (with HFS+VB), and equivalent to about 6 or 7 on my 2014 P24 (with P22s a.k.a. 57/08s). The piezo of the Spruce HB is signal matched to the mag pups (not sure how intentional vs happenstance that may be), so it is equivalent to about 6 or 7 of the piezo on my P24.

Hmm, maybe I need to pick up a couple more HBs: a HBII with new pups (57/08s) and see if I can find an older HB II with archtops. Then I can compare all three (plus the P24!). Ooh, and maybe an actual Archtop...

Dang, got GAS again...

I also have a 2002 CU24 with HFS+VB. I have never done a comparison between my HB I and the CU24, except to assess clean tones on bass and treble pickups. Now you have me thinking (always a dangerous proposition???).......
This may also explain why I have to change volume setting on my amp when I switch guitars at gigs (duh). Normally I don't have this issue at home because I will just practice with one guitar

Back