I finally bought a Hollowbody II

Let me be the 1st forum member to say congratulations and welcome to the PRS HB club! Ok maybe not the 1st forum member ?????

If you don't like HB's you can kiss my behind.

2014 Artist Hollowbody II Faded Abalone Smokeburst, Rosewood neck, Ebony Fingerboard and 57-08's. Quite possibly the best guitar purchase I ever made!!!
78de0c7f-a487-4b0f-8ef8-8de4ee1a9db6.jpg

Oh, and this my other best guitar purchase. 2013 Hollowbody 12, Purple Hazel 10 top, Mahogany Neck, Archtop Pickups. Sounds like Angels singing from the F Holes!

IMG_3156_zpsd6e8a602.jpg

Why was fretboard binding short-lived on the HB's?

Heh, that's a good question. It seemed to come and go.

Here's mine, a Spruce HB:

IMG_8210LR_1024_zps257f0828.jpg

Although I love what the Spruce top gives to the "acoustic" sound, I do drool endlessly over the nice tops and backs of the HB IIs with figured maple. And I wish I had birds, although the moons do offer a low-key look fitting with the spruce.

Thanks!! Didn't break the internet, but the board loaded a little slower after I posted it. :laugh:

Hello, fellow Incubus fan!! Just got a Custom 24 and the tones through my Tremoverb can get the Incubus tones pretty well, but not as much Morning View. Let us know how it sounds!!

S.C.I.E.N.C.E Mike used mainly CU24's, Morning View he used a McCarty HB Spruce to get a more woody/airy tone.

S.C.I.E.N.C.E Mike used mainly CU24's, Morning View he used a McCarty HB Spruce to get a more woody/airy tone.

Not to derail the thread, but...

Ya know, I am casually familiar with Incubus and their various radio songs, but I don't own any CDs (or maybe I have one? I might have A Crow Left of the Murder...I need to check my CD collection...).

So it sounds like I need to grab S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Morning View. Any other suggestions? Or perhaps a Best-Of collection like The Essential Incubus?

I've wondered the same thing. I would have loved to have binding on my HB, but then again being white you wouldn't really notice it anyway.

It seemed to be a fairly regular feature for a while, now I think it's a cross between the finish of the guitar, whether it's an artist pack may have something to do with it, or it could be the guy whos working the bench that day that decides if he's in the mood.

Ya know, I am casually familiar with Incubus and their various radio songs, but I don't own any CDs (or maybe I have one? I might have A Crow Left of the Murder...I need to check my CD collection...).

So it sounds like I need to grab S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Morning View. Any other suggestions? Or perhaps a Best-Of collection like The Essential Incubus?

Fungus Among Us is their first which sound very much the Chilli Peppers. Make Yourself was in between SCIENCE and Morning View. I forget the names of the most recent ones, but SCIENCE and Morning View are my favorites.

He didn't use ANY PRS n A Crow... that was mainly a Jazzmaster...which is why the tone sounds so thin and limp.
Shoot me a PM so as to not keep derailing the thread, not that alll us HB lvers didn't derail the thread by posting our own HB's in it, hhaha

Oh yeah dude, I know all too well, lol. I've basically been on the journey to copy Mike since '01, lol. The CU24 nails the S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Make Yourself tones almost EXACTLY and the HBII/Archtop II and Spruce models get the other Make Yourself and Morning View tones. Got to try out a HBII through a Mesa Mark V and the guitar felt so good yet almost like a dream because it got that EXACT Morning View tone from my head and the album.

Ugghhh I love the Hollowbody. Such a great guitar. The CU24 and Hollowbody are my favorite guitars ever made, I think. :D

Oh yeah dude, I know all too well, lol. I've basically been on the journey to copy Mike since '01, lol. The CU24 nails the S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Make Yourself tones almost EXACTLY and the HBII/Archtop II and Spruce models get the other Make Yourself and Morning View tones. Got to try out a HBII through a Mesa Mark V and the guitar felt so good yet almost like a dream because it got that EXACT Morning View tone from my head and the album.

Ugghhh I love the Hollowbody. Such a great guitar. The CU24 and Hollowbody are my favorite guitars ever made, I think. :D

I don't know why people get so down about the Spruce HB models and call them cheap and not as good. Combines with the McCarty archtop pickups they have a sound all their own that you just can't duplicate with the HB II's.

I don't know why people get so down about the Spruce HB models and call them cheap and not as good. Combines with the McCarty archtop pickups they have a sound all their own that you just can't duplicate with the HB II's.
Ahhh, it's cause HBs are pricey and if somebody is gonna slap down $$$ on a piece most are wanting a figured top, but some cats like the low-key vibe of spruce and sonically it matters little. I recently tried out a used HB spruce and couldn't tell the difference sound wise from my 10-top, I might have jumped on it if it had Piezo.
Now the arch top pups, you get a big +1, they can do all the overdrive sounds (with the right amp settings) and clean up better than any PRS pickup. From shred to jazz with a turn of the knob.

I'd gladly play a Spruce HB!! Sad the present HB II models don't come with Archtop pickups anymore.

Back