HXDA thoughts

guitarman23

So I got the issues w/ my HXDA solved. I think one of my speakers in my 2x12 is acting up. I plugged into my 1x12 w/ a WGS Veteran 30 and it sounded fine. Question, I'm getting ready to send it into PRS for the fat switch mod and turn it into a 1x12 combo for quicker grab/go for jams since that's what I'll be trying to hit when I move to Austin next month. I won't have much time to join a full time band. Any other HXDA owners ever thought of having reverb added to it? I'm torn, add reverb or get a nice Strymon El Capistan to fill out the tone ala Grissom. The Strymon is only a little more than the cost of adding reverb to the HXDA. Thoughts?

Good question. I'm sort of struggling with same with my HX/DA head/cab. I'm leaning more toward the Strymon or another pedal. The mod to the amp seems more permanent and static to me, where as the pedal can always be swapped if it doesn't work well with a specific room/venue. Now that fall is in full swing, and travel is done for rest of year, I'll be able to focus a bit more on this. I'm interested in which way you decide - and if you go with the Strymon, a tone report would be great.

I think a delay will sound better than a reverb with this particular amp. But that's just the way I roll.

I appreciate the response Les! You're like a Jedi w this amp. Yes I went Star Wars :) Do you recommend something other than the El Capistan?

I appreciate the response Les! You're like a Jedi w this amp. Yes I went Star Wars :) Do you recommend something other than the El Capistan?

Well, if you have $1200 or so to blow, yeah, the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo is the real deal, and you can hear the difference. But the El Cap is nice. My own preference now is the Eventide Time Factor, because it sounds very good and warm, and does ten zillion things - for me, more is more.

I like the TC delays a lot, too. They're sparkly and bright.

Some of the guys I work with have several delays on their boards. TC, Eventide, Strymon, etc.

Last edited:
Back