Humbucking pickup

Evan594

So Iv always been a fan of hard rock. The most obvious guitar for this is a les Paul with hard humbuckers. I have a les Paul eith 2 Seymour Dunkin alnico pro 2 humbuckers and I love the sound, however when it comes down to it I feel much more comfortable playing my Strat. The problem is my Strat is an sss with Texas special noiseless pickups. I know Seymour Duncan makes single coil size humbuckers like hot rails and their 59’, so I’m wondering if anyone has experience with them and which single coil size pickup is best for me(think Slash sound with nice pinch harmonics)

Pickguards are cheap and most Strats are routed for humbuckers underneath. If yours isn't, a luthier can remedy that quickly. So go for full size pickups, but don't expect it to sound like an LP.

There are also quite a few PRS guitar models that can get you closer to LP territory while still being comfortable.

Man, you just described the raison d'être of the PRS Custom.

I have a 50th anniversary strat I've had for over 20 years. I put EMGs in it with the mid range boost presence control. Sounds like a humbucker. These are awesome pickups.

BTW, the battery will fit under the pickguard so no battery box routing is required.

why not just get a pre wired hss pickguard? There are a number of different configuration's out there. SD, DiMarzio and others offer a few. I had a Squire Standard Fat Strat that was pretty amazing with factory pickups.

I’d suggest looking for a used NF3 or Studio with the narrow field pickups.

What you do is remove the strings and the Strat pick guard, clean it up nicely with some naphtha, and then light the f@cker on fire in your backyard while playing your new PRS.

I’d suggest looking for a used NF3 or Studio with the narrow field pickups.

What you do is remove the strings and the Strat pick guard, clean it up nicely with some naphtha, and then light the f@cker on fire in your backyard while playing your new PRS.

Don't forget to enjoy your favorite adult beverage while you're at it.

Keep the strat for single coil tones and sell the LP (if it isn't comfortable is isn't working for you) and get a LPish humbucker guitar that is comfortable for you.

Back