How often do you replace strings to protect the guitar from damage?

My Les Paul was its case flat for about 2 years. I picked it up recently and a few of the strings were hitting the 1st fret, to the point that the open strings were actually registering as being fretted at the 1st fret.
(I didn't realise at first as I was tuning it up, but I was in for a rude shock as soon as I started playing, with some strings tuned 1 semitone out!)
I took a few small twists on the truss rod to stop that and allowing me to tune it up properly.

I've been living in London for 2 years and about to move home to Melbourne, so I'm planning to replace all the strings on my guitar collection, but not sure if I'll have to again play with the truss rod on this LP.

I would normally agree that tension is tension, but something strange has happened to this guitar - apart from the lack of love lately.

My Les Paul was its case flat for about 2 years. I picked it up recently and a few of the strings were hitting the 1st fret, to the point that the open strings were actually registering as being fretted at the 1st fret.
(I didn't realise at first as I was tuning it up, but I was in for a rude shock as soon as I started playing, with some strings tuned 1 semitone out!)
I took a few small twists on the truss rod to stop that and allowing me to tune it up properly.

I've been living in London for 2 years and about to move home to Melbourne, so I'm planning to replace all the strings on my guitar collection, but not sure if I'll have to again play with the truss rod on this LP.

I would normally agree that tension is tension, but something strange has happened to this guitar - apart from the lack of love lately.
Well, if the guitar moved with you to London from Oz, it probably needed to adjust after settling in to the new climate. If you didn't play it much after you got there (you said two years for both circumstances), then the guitar has simply been waiting for that adjustment. When you move back, you'll probably need to adjust it back.

The Les Paul never moved with me, it has always been in Melbourne.

I brought a Strat over with me when I moved to London which is now back in Melbourne and still plays fine.
It didn't get much use after I got my first PRS - funny how that works : )

My Les Paul is subject to seasonal climate changes and needs to be adjusted at the beginning of the dry season and the wet season. Tune being off by a half tone after sitting for a very long time doesn't seem that strange. I wouldn't be surprised for that to happen if I played in February and then let the guitar sit until August.

The affect isn't as extreme on my PRS but the same kind of thing does occur with a couple of them.

If you're in the Signature Club, once a year, whether you need them or not. :D

Those are strings? I thought they were bracelets. And cheaply made at that - they unraveled very easily and I could never get them to go back. Now I'm going to have to go check something out.

Edited to add: Well, I'll be...

Thanks for the reminder - I kept forgetting to renew my Sig Club. I usually do that at Experience.

Im surprised at a lot of the answers on here. I change strings before every gig, and during downtime I change them almost weekly. Although switching to coated strings ( a recent experiment) Ive been able to go three weeks so far. But thats without any stage time.

My SE Santana has the same EB Cobalts on it from June of 2012, and they are still like new.
I am easy on strings.

I change strings about every other month. Guitars are designed to have strings on them, I can't see how changing old strings for new strings will prevent damage, they all have the same tension on them. If you're going to store a guitar for a while, take a few seconds and loosen the strings so there's minimal tension.

He he he, my hands do not sweat while playing, and I wash and dry my hands thoroughly before I pick up any of my guitars.
Sweat and dirt are the two main string killers.

I bought a Yamaha FG-160 acoustic off Ebay that had been in the closet for over 20 years. ... The neck was warped and the top had warped behind the bridge.

I'd heard stories about old strings warping guitars most of my life. I guess because so many times somebody buys a guitar and takes lessons for a few months. The guitar goes in the closet and twenty years later it's sold and the new owner discovers it's warped. I got burned with one like that from Ebay.

The answer is in your own posts.

Careless storage is what ruins guitars, not being strung with strings that are meant to be there. Changes in heat, humidity and air pressure are the culprits.

KEEP your guitars strung and IN TUNE in storage, monitor and moderate the storage conditions appropriately.

Change strings on a schedule that works for how you play and what you hear from them.

Edit: the wood has been harvested, but guitars are still very much living things. Hell, I kept Alan in a closet for only a week and look at the shape HE'S in!

He looked much better after I reversed his pic....

Last edited:
Edit: the wood has been harvested, but guitars are still very much living things. Hell, I kept Alan in a closet for only a week and look at the shape HE'S in!

He looked much better after I reversed his pic....

All these years, and no one ever looked at your avatar and put two and two together! I owe you an apology - you were correct. I thought the ponytail would be a dead giveaway, but it wasn't.

All these years, and no one ever looked at your avatar and put two and two together! I owe you an apology - you were correct. I thought the ponytail would be a dead giveaway, but it wasn't.

Ha! I bet that would be a surprise for your wife!

Back