How know correct action height of each individual string?

Duvupov

Let's say I want to set my action according to factory specs. I perfectly get how to measure and adjust the action for the low e-string and the high e-string. But what about the other strings?
Should the A and D string match the low E string action and the G and B the high E string? Or should we use a radius gauge?

All the youtube instruction videos only talk about the e strings and never mention the other strings.

I set my guitars up so the strings are all a consistent height. So if you’re wanting to setup your guitar to your own preference of string action or set it up to factory specs, the biggest things to watch for is fret buzz and intonation.

When setting up a guitar the most important things to watch for with action height, is insuring that each note/fret on every string doesn’t give you fret noise or fret buzzing. (When pressing a note down, the string will vibrate and buzz against a fret further up the neck).

next thing that’s important to look for is making sure your intonation is still on point. You can check this when tuning your guitar by tuning your open string and then doing a 12th fret harmonic as well as hitting the 12th fret note, to make sure the notes match your open string tuning.

(Did this help? Or did I ramble? lol
Too Long Don’t Read Version:make them the same height as the E-Strings. Then intonate your guitar and check for fret buzz and adjust accordingly for what is most comfortable to your playstyle)

Last edited:
Just use a radius gauge. You get your E strings set, then hold the gauge (the one that matches your fretboard radius) on the strings right next to the bridge, then you adjust your saddles until the strings all just touch the gauge. I'd post a link but as a newb, I can't do that yet.

Back