How are the \M/ Metal pickups? And why don't they get anymore love on here?

JJDon

I'm looking to replace a 58/15 LT in the bridge of my McCarty 594 with something hotter and I've heard these sound similar to a Dimarzo Super Distortion. Is that accurate? I'd like something akin to a Seymour Duncan JB SH-4, SD Distortion, or Dimarzo Super Distortion so I can get those 80s or early 90s metal type of sounds but would still like to stay with a PRS brand pickup. Nothing too over the top though. But there isn't a lot out there on these \M/ Metal pickups.

Apparently from what I've found online they're really good pickups and have really good cleans and articulate distortion. I'm assuming the name and their branding has hurt them?

I'd agree its the name, marketing, ceramic, and hot hot hot.. Its a pup I thought about and considered for my 30th Floyd but ended up going DW mojotones instead after playing a DW CE24. If you go with the metal pickups I'd be interested in hearing more, from what I've read so far its been mostly positive. Although, I'm super happy with the mojotones, such a unique pickup, unlike anything else I have.

I have a set in Cu24. They are hot and very modern sounding. They don’t have that honky midrange that overwound pickups typically have and I guess that’s why people think they sound ok clean too. They are fairly compressed and quite forgiving when playing.
They sound nothing like either a Seymour Duncan JB SH-4, SD Distortion, or Dimarzo Super Distortion though. They all have more mids and are, to me, a bit more open sound when distorted. The \m/’s are more polished but less cutting. Smoother maybe. Very good lead pickups.

Love the Metals. They are a modern, balanced high-output bucker that have a quick attack, tight bass and don't get shrill or honky. Really versatile and sound great through any amp I play through.

That said, the quintessential high-output PRS pickups for late 80's through 90's tones that fit your bill would be the HFS and Dragon 1. The HFS, tone and response wise, is more like a Jb or Distortion: bright, tight and tons of upper midrange attack. A Dragon 1 has a warm top end, powerful but not spiky mids and a bigger bottom.

Love the Metals. They are a modern, balanced high-output bucker that have a quick attack, tight bass and don't get shrill or honky. Really versatile and sound great through any amp I play through.

That said, the quintessential high-output PRS pickups for late 80's through 90's tones that fit your bill would be the HFS and Dragon 1. The HFS, tone and response wise, is more like a Jb or Distortion: bright, tight and tons of upper midrange attack. A Dragon 1 has a warm top end, powerful but not spiky mids and a bigger bottom.

That's interesting, everything I've seen so far on the HFS is that they're very hit or miss with a lot of people. Id figure if they were similar to a JB or Distortion, they'd have a lot more fans out there.

Haven't heard much on the Dragon 1s either or see that they're even still sold. I do see the Dragons 2s listed on PRS website though. How are those in comparison? Kind of still leaning towards the \M/ pickups due to the reviews so far and how they seem more versatile.

That's interesting, everything I've seen so far on the HFS is that they're very hit or miss with a lot of people. Id figure if they were similar to a JB or Distortion, they'd have a lot more fans out there.

Haven't heard much on the Dragon 1s either or see that they're even still sold. I do see the Dragons 2s listed on PRS website though. How are those in comparison? Kind of still leaning towards the \M/ pickups due to the reviews so far and how they seem more versatile.

The HFS is the closest PRS offering to those pickups but that unfortunately doesn’t mean they sound very nice. To be honest, I haven’t played more than two different US made HFS pickups. One was in a PRS Standard 24 20th Anniversary and it was shrill, honky, and kind of cold sounding. The other was in a Cu24 from the 90’s that belonged to a friend but it was similar enough. I do currently own a SE Cu22 (2012 maybe?) with an asian made HFS and that pickup sounds amazing.

The HFS would be close to one of the SD customs, specs are pretty close to custom. I've also read people find it similar to the JB. I didn't have that experience with the Korean version in a SE cu24 and LP style. I didn't like the HFS in the cu24 but its great in the LP. I really liked the JB in both guitars, but I like the JB in most guitars once I get it the pup height and poles adjusted.. Typically with the HFS I like it in a guitar, or I don't, no middle ground. I have zero experience with dragons.

I am intrigued by these pickups. I just got a 59/09 covered on Reverb for my McCarty Korina but thought twice about the \m/ especially from this awesome review on Sweetwater (go there to read the whole thing, it's a very in depth review comparing all kinds of pickups including ones you mentioned - it's the 2nd review).

"I would describe it as a 57/08 and 59/09 having a baby that is an out of control fire breathing godly monster. It has all the clarity of a 57/08. slightly more scooped like the 59/09 and output and depth that trumps the Dragon I. The output is strong enough for metal heads but not so strong to where they are too much for people like me who prefered medium output humbuckers for metal. This has that modern sound that we strive for, power and clarity. They are clearer than my 59/09s which is what they replaced. I liked everything about the 59/09 and prefered over all the pickups I have tried, I am keen on versatility. I hate a pickup that can only to one thing. The \M/ pickup took my love for the 59/09 nd made my guitar easy to play with it's amazing clarity, extra output, and amazing harmonics.

VERDICT
This pickup covers all music, the name does not do it justice. I place light rock to over the top metal, thsi is the greatest pickup I have every played, It makes playing easier!"

I read the above review before. Its awesome! Reading here and previous research I think PRS failed in the marketing department naming these pups. Maybe they should just change them to Modern that way they can keep the beavis and butthead marketing logo \m/

We all have to be bad at something maybe that's PRS Achilles heel, naming pups... LOL

Back