How are the \M/ Metal pickups? And why don't they get anymore love on here?

No gin through the nose this time. Too early.
p.s. If it's any consolation, I'm sitting in my office working. Read Hans post while waiting for a credit report to import, and laughed out loud. No gin, but almost spit out some cookie on my desk.

I wanted to share some news. Recently, I was browsing through the PRS accessory shop and found the description of Metals a bit confusing. The UK Accessory Shop has listed the specifications for the bass and treble pickups as follows:

Bass:
- Magnet Ceramic
- DC Res 8.5k

Treble:
- Magnet Ceramic
- DC Res 15.7k

However, the US Accessory Shop listed the same DC resistance for both pickups, but the Bass pickup magnet was mentioned as AlNiCo (no rank). When I bought my Square-Bobbin TCI \M/s set, the seller advertised them as AlNiCo. I had thought that the Alnico magnet was a typo in relation to Metals, but I emailed PRS Customer Service to clarify this.

Although I cannot quote their response word-for-word, PRS Customer Service essentially mentioned that pickup specifications are subject to change as they improve them. The type of magnet used in Metals has been altered at some point, and the four-conductor TCI versions that I have are indeed Alnico, although the magnet's rank remains a secret.

To summarize, according to PRS customer service, all currently manufactured PRS Metal pickups are Alnico-based.

I wanted to share some news. Recently, I was browsing through the PRS accessory shop and found the description of Metals a bit confusing. The UK Accessory Shop has listed the specifications for the bass and treble pickups as follows:

Bass:
- Magnet Ceramic
- DC Res 8.5k

Treble:
- Magnet Ceramic
- DC Res 15.7k

However, the US Accessory Shop listed the same DC resistance for both pickups, but the Bass pickup magnet was mentioned as AlNiCo (no rank). When I bought my Square-Bobbin TCI \M/s set, the seller advertised them as AlNiCo. I had thought that the Alnico magnet was a typo in relation to Metals, but I emailed PRS Customer Service to clarify this.

Although I cannot quote their response word-for-word, PRS Customer Service essentially mentioned that pickup specifications are subject to change as they improve them. The type of magnet used in Metals has been altered at some point, and the four-conductor TCI versions that I have are indeed Alnico, although the magnet's rank remains a secret.

To summarize, according to PRS customer service, all currently manufactured PRS Metal pickups are Alnico-based.
That wouldn't suprise me one bit that they switched up the magnets from ceramic to alnico, but why? It would also explain why 3 of the 4 \m/ pickups that I've owned sounded different from the original \m/ I purchased in 2022.
The non TCI \m/ pickup I own, has a big ceramic magnet under the bobbins, and for the spacers, narrow ceramic magnets as spacers. The only way, you will be able to really know if you have a ceramic magnet or alnico magnet is to unscrew the bottom of the pickup plate, and slide the magnet out a little bit and look at it. If the magnet is black, then it's ceramic, if it's grey, than it's an alnico magnet.

That wouldn't suprise me one bit that they switched up the magnets from ceramic to alnico, but why? It would also explain why 3 of the 4 \m/ pickups that I've owned sounded different from the original \m/ I purchased in 2022.
The non TCI \m/ pickup I own, has a big ceramic magnet under the bobbins, and for the spacers, narrow ceramic magnets as spacers. The only way, you will be able to really know if you have a ceramic magnet or alnico magnet is to unscrew the bottom of the pickup plate, and slide the magnet out a little bit and look at it. If the magnet is black, then it's ceramic, if it's grey, than it's an alnico magnet.

I recall someone mentioning that the Metal pickup is essentially Tremonti Bass with a twist in the magnets. I personally didn't enjoy the Tremonti, but I love the Metals that I have. Now I understand what the magnet twist is. With the Tremonti, the moment I enjoyed it was when I lowered the pickups until the screw tread finished and the pickup fell into the cavity. I ordered longer screws, drilled small holes in the cavity beneath the screws, and played like that for a year. The Metal pickup is in a different league; it has more of everything except for the signal. It has more highs and mids, and the lows are controllable. It's the best rock pickup ever, and it complements my 85/15TCI guitar perfectly.

So is the new sound better or worse or just different? I am currently talking to PRS to switch my P24 from 85/15s to the TCI metal pickups because I do not like the 85/15s and I want to try the Metal pickups. Need to make sure they are compatible with the piezo also.

So is the new sound better or worse or just different? I am currently talking to PRS to switch my P24 from 85/15s to the TCI metal pickups because I do not like the 85/15s and I want to try the Metal pickups. Need to make sure they are compatible with the piezo also.
What you dislike about 85/15 and what are you expecting the Matals to change? I have both, I may be able to advise

Back