Hollowbody vs Archtop

fgeorge097

I have a possibility of picking up a used 2006 Mccarty Hollowbody 1 or a 2007 Archtop (double cutaway).

I was wondering if somebody could please explain the differences between the models?

How about any differences in handling feedback?

Mucho Gracias!

Well, I'll start by saying they are completely different guitars.

The most obvious difference is size. The archtop is considerably thicker than the hollowbody, which makes playing it quite different. The hollowbody physical package isn't much different from a solid body and will feel very natural to an electric player. The archtop *might* feel a bit odd to an electric player because of the body that is about twice as thick as what they are used to. Someone who plays acoustic a fair bit would be used to the thicker body, but even then the overall shape will be different than what they are familiar with. I don't mean to imply that it is hard to play, just that if feels noticeably different.

They will also sound quite different. The big body of the archtop gives it a fuller sound and I feel it emphasizes the low to mid range. This comes through plugged in. I'm not sure if this will make sense, but I would generalize by saying the hollowbody sounds more like an electric with a gesture to acoustic tone added while the archtop very clearly a hybrid of electric and acoustic. Archtops have their own sound.

I can't comment on feedback. I just don't play in a manner where that comes into play.

I can't comment on feedback. I just don't play in a manner where that comes into play.
I'm gonna beat Hans to this one...

200w.gif

Other than the woods that may vary, the Archtop is 1" thicker than the Hollowbody. I would presume the Hollowbody would resist feedback better due to having less air volume.

I haven't got a PRS archtop but I do have another flavour and I love it. I can play one of the solids then go straight to the archtop without issue. It's extremely light and plays easily which by far makes up for the extra bulk, I find it very comfortable stood up or sat down. I have to say as well, mine will work with practically any genre, I rock it and blues it and I know it will jazz but not by me :oops:

Oh, BTW - If you're looking at a modern archtop they should be set up with the pick ups high almost above the body so they aren't inside to avoid feedback - I think most modern archtops are like that and mine doesn't feedback.

I doubt that there will be much difference in feedback control, they both work under the same premise.
The main 3 differences for me is the size, shape, & feel. Tonewise they weren't too far apart, a little, but not "night & day".

I prefer the size & ergonomics of the HB, but an arch top is on the rare side and not a lot of those in circulation, so you'd have the uniqueness factor.

I say the best sounding/playing/with the least dings & dents is the one to go with.(providing you can test drive)

I have a 2006 McCarty Hollowbody 1 gold top that feels and plays much closer to a Gibson ES335 than it does to an archtop even though it is a smaller body. Feedback has never been a problem with it. Like a thin line semi-hollow, it is very versatile....rock, blues, jazz. Fantastic guitar!

Back