Hollowbody: Single vs Doublecut

Doesn't a DC have a solid centre block and a SC is completely hollow?

My doublecut HB (a McCarty Spruce HB) is completely hollow.

I would imagine the different body shape and contact with the neck of the SC would add some sustain and/or affect the response of the cavity for feedback etc.

Other than that, the next big difference would be aesthetics, IMHO. Assuming electronics, pups, etc are al the same. Which they are for stock HB II DC vs SC, AFAICT.

My opinion is the double cut has a slightly more pronounced midrange while the SC is slightly more deep sounding. That's what I heard when I tried about 5 of each out. It's not a HUGE difference, but there's some.

My opinion is the double cut has a slightly more pronounced midrange while the SC is slightly more deep sounding. That's what I heard when I tried about 5 of each out. It's not a HUGE difference, but there's some.

I have the same perception, no matter if it's a Hollow or solid body guitar. The SC sounds to me more deep sounding. Not better nor worst, just a little different

That's what I'd expect to hear: a little stronger low end from the single cutaway.

Both models normally only have a post beneath the bridge that connects the front to back. There was a run of double cut hollowbodies that had a center block, but they're not common.

Doesn't a DC have a solid centre block and a SC is completely hollow?
I believe the SC and DC both have same internal construction, no centerblock but a "post" of wood connecting top and back at the bridge. The 25th anniversary hollow bodies (both SC and DC) did have a solid center block. That's my recollection anyway.

The Singlecut HBs are thicker, too.

They are all awesome, but the singles are better. :vroam:

I believe the SC and DC both have same internal construction, no centerblock but a "post" of wood connecting top and back at the bridge. The 25th anniversary hollow bodies (both SC and DC) did have a solid center block. That's my recollection anyway.

Ah right, cheers!

Slightly easier access to the upper frets on the Singlecut. Look at the back of each and you can see how the SC has a deeper pocket (by a fret, but it makes a difference). I think the SC is a little more woofy with the neck pickup, a little jazzier. Both excellent.

Back