Hollowbody questions

Frank McNerney

Shoitza
I'm thinking (hard) about a PRS hollowbody. I tried the SE and it was nice but I've saved some dough due to the virus and I thought I'd explore a core model. I've done some research but I'm a little confused about different models

Here's my current thinking - I'd appreciate any thoughts you might care to share.

First – Archtops are out – too deep for me.

Piezo is out – not really interested.

Spruce top is a plus

594 scale length is a bonus and I believe the 594 HB has No Piezo, but not in love with toggle up on the horn but could live with it - and anyway not many used one's out there yet

Not clear about difference between HB I and II ?

Anyone have a 594 HB ? How does it compare to the HB I and/or II ?

Any other ideas, comments, etc ?

Thanks !!!

The II in the Hollowbody II refers to having 2 Maple tops essentially - although 1 is on the back. That's the same with the SE Hollowbody II, the Hollowbody II with Piezo and 594 Hollowbody II as well. It doesn't mean that its the 'sequel'.

I have both the Hollowbody II with Piezo and 594 Hollowbody II and to be honest, they are quite similar. Both of mine have the excellent 58/15 LT pickups and the 594 offers independent coil splitting where as the HBii does not - but does offer a superb Piezo. I really like the switch on the upper horn myself but then I spent years playing a Les Paul and that layout is the most familiar to me. I like the independent tone and volumes as well.

The main difference is the scale length and neck profile in terms of feel. The bridge is different too of course which does mean the 594 has a bigger block inside to mount the 2 piece bridge into. As you can see from my 594 HBii, you can see the double faux binding from the two pieces of Maple

w4FlaEY.jpg

And as you can see from my HBii, the block is quite small for the bridge to be mounted to...

1Q2v5kW.jpg

You don't have to use the Piezo if you don't want. I think it can add a bit of sparkle on top if you want. I always think its better to have and not need than need and not have - but that is up to you. You don't get coil splits or independent tone and volume controls either so maybe the 594 Hollowbody II would suit you better - even if it does put the toggle on the top horn....

Other than looking for a used guitar or going for one of the SE models, these are the only current core 6 string Hollowbody guitars in the line-up...

Find a nice McCarty HBI Spruce and live your best life.
I third that motion. Sergio put me onto a HB Spruce and it’s a magic guitar. Feels like a smaller 335, weighs less than a Strat, and I love the way you can push it to pretty surprising levels without feedback. I’d love to have a second one for good measure. Mine is a ‘99.

xa5sWeZ.jpg

Last edited:
I third that motion. Sergio put me onto a HB Spruce and it’s a magic guitar. Feels like a smaller 335, weighs less than a Strat, and I love the way you can push it to pretty surprising levels without feedback. I’d love to have a second one for good measure. Mine is a ‘99.

xa5sWeZ.jpg

Now I just gotta focus on getting you to buy some ivory rings for that beauty!

My vote is for HB1 or HB Spruce. Miss my HB1, and a buddy has a Spruce that rocks. Mahogany for the win.

No knock on the 594 versions, but the original HB1/Spruce, as well as the original McTrem, keep it simple.

KISS

OK I'm confused what is an Hollowbody I Spruce... afaik an Hollowbody I has a maple top/mahog back.. and the Spruce has a Spruce top/mahog back. They are 2 different guitars or is there some other model?

My HB Spruce is my fav HB and I usually use it as my camping/travel guitar which I just sling in a gig bag and go. Unfortunately it has no piezo but it's light as a feather coming in at just over 4lbs.

This one is also from 1999 which i picked up from eBay a long time ago. The original Archtop pickups are my favourite. I much prefer them to the new pups.
hbspruce01.jpg

OK I'm confused what is an Hollowbody I Spruce... afaik an Hollowbody I has a maple top/mahog back.. and the Spruce has a Spruce top/mahog back. They are 2 different guitars or is there some other model?

My HB Spruce is my fav HB and I usually use it as my camping/travel guitar which I just sling in a gig bag and go. Unfortunately it has no piezo but it's light as a feather coming in at just over 4lbs.

This one is also from 1999 which i picked up from eBay a long time ago. The original Archtop pickups are my favourite. I much prefer them to the new pups.
hbspruce01.jpg

That's a sharp looking guitar. When you take it camping, do bring along a little amp or just play acoustically?

That's a sharp looking guitar. When you take it camping, do bring along a little amp or just play acoustically?

I just play it on it's own as the volume is plenty loud enough for me and not loud enough to annoy any neighbours camping nearby. It's perfect. And although I don't mind if it gets any dings in it, I have found that an old SE gig bag is enough to protect it without adding the extra weight of the hard case.

Back