Hollowbody Blushing

tlblev2

Hello all,

I'm new here. Forgive me if this is not the right place for this!

I recently purchased a 2003 HBII in Blue Matteo (yesterday). I picked it up from an individual and only got to look at it under dim shop lights, but after leaving I noticed the area around the bend of the neck heel and on the lower horn is suffering from a milky-white cloudiness in the finish.

After browsing Reverb, I have discovered that this is a common defect in these types of guitars from this era...so it's clearly not an issue of mistreatment of the guitar (extreme heat, humidity, etc.).

In fact, I couldn't find a single listing of a guitar like this from 2003/2004 that had a natural look on the sides without the same problem! Here are some of the listings...

"There are however, noticeable cloudy marks in the finish in a few areas. I have tried to include this in the photos. These cloudy marks are noticeable in the heal and on the edges of the cutaway by the strap button but not on the top. I have done some research on this and it is a fairly common problem with the finishes on PRS guitars of this era."https://reverb.com/item/3184531-prs-hollowbody-spruce-2004-natural

"There are a few cloudy spots on the side and the back of the neck from sitting in the case, they are not major and I have included pictures." https://reverb.com/item/2259265-paul-reed-smith-hollowbody-ii-2003-artist-package

"Only flaw in the guitar is under the finish on back where strap attaches looks like someone left a strap on it in case and under the finish in those two spots there is some haze. Otherwise very clean . The last two pics show that haze I mentioned."https://reverb.com/item/6797063-paul-reed-smith-hollowbody-2-artist-2003-amber

"This Hollowbody II is in very good overall condition-there is hazing in the lower cutaway going up to the side of the heel-looks to be the result of direct sunlight." https://reverb.com/item/7031394-prs...electric-guitar-w-hsc-2003-trans-black-cherry

"Headstock has a few minor dings on the top and a hint of haze on the top of the headstock and the tops of the horns." https://reverb.com/item/860277-paul-reed-smith-mccarty-hollowbody-ii-2003-honey-burst

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone here could advise on a remedy for this. I emailed PRS customer service and they said they could refinish it for $1700, but I don't have that money to spend after spending so much just to get the guitar.

Is there anyone here that has encountered this themselves that would have advice on what works to fix it? The only things I can seem to find are "blush eraser" which is for nitro only, a hot iron and a towel, or sanding the finish and letting it air out. But that's all just speculation on various forums, and I can't seem to find anyone that has actually tried any of that.

pictures are attached.

Thanks!

As hard as I look when buying a used guitar (and new) there have been a good few times when I later discovered something that I missed during the initial appraisal even in a good light. But, if this individual has a shop then take it back for a refund. The links you have shown give me "Sorry, this listing is no longer available.".

From what I’ve read, the only thing you can try besides what you’ve listed is to try and live with it. :(

Unfortunately, I'm not sure taking it back is an option. Some of those links are already sold or ended, but if you scroll down you can still see the pictures, price, description, etc.

Those links are what came up on my first page of google when I typed "2003 2004 PRS hollowbody."

I am done with the links but I have seen what you describe on other guitars. If the seller has a shop then a return is always, well it should be an option. Go back and talk it over. Don't be aggressive. be cordially firm. Maybe a partial refund will smooth things over if you can live with that. Really do hope you can work something out. Let us know how it develops.

If you can return it, go for it. But given that it is normal and limited to areas you don't really even see, it wouldn't bother me. If it plays well and sounds great, play the heck out of it and add your own blemishes in due course.

If you can return it, go for it. But given that it is normal and limited to areas you don't really even see, it wouldn't bother me. If it plays well and sounds great, play the heck out of it and add your own blemishes in due course.

I'm with elvis

If you can return it, go for it. ut given that it is normal and limited to areas you don't really even see, it wouldn't bother me. If it plays well and sounds great, play the heck out of it and add your own blemishes in due course.

I hear you! It's just that I didn't purchase this guitar for practical purposes. I have other PRS that I can take out and play and not worry. I played a brand new one like this one when I was a kid and have wanted one ever since. It's a little about nostalgia--like a baby-boomer and a muscle car.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice on fixing it. Is there anyone with experience using the methods I mentioned above?

I had a lot of guitars from that era, and while one might see it occasionally on the web, it wasn’t “common,” at least with the ones I had back then; I’ve yet to see it on the guitars others own that I’ve seen in person.

Once I had a little flaking by the rosewood fretboard, caused of course, by the natural oils in the rosewood not letting the paint stick. Because I was the original owner, the guitar was under warranty and PRS fixed it at no charge.

Of course, what you see on the internet is complaining from the relative few who had the problem that makes it appear common.

I had a lot of guitars from that era, and while one might see it occasionally on the web, it wasn’t “common,” at least with the ones I had back then; I’ve yet to see it on the guitars others own that I’ve seen in person.

Once I had a little flaking by the rosewood fretboard, caused of course, by the natural oils in the rosewood not letting the paint stick. Because I was the original owner, the guitar was under warranty and PRS fixed it at no charge.

Of course, what you see on the internet is complaining from the relative few who had the problem that makes it appear common.

I would absolutely agree with this. This is also my experience. I had a 2004 Hollowbody that did not have this issue. For content sake, I traded that guitar to a fellow forum member last month. So my experience is recent.

Interesting. My goal here was not to flame PRS. They are my favorite guitars and I admire them as a company. I just googled other listings and saw it in a high percentage of my admittedly small sample size of links. So I thought maybe someone else might have figured out a way to fix it.

Interesting. My goal here was not to flame PRS. They are my favorite guitars and I admire them as a company. I just googled other listings and saw it in a high percentage of my admittedly small sample size of links. So I thought maybe someone else might have figured out a way to fix it.

I realize you weren’t flaming PRS. Just wanted to point out it isn’t a common problem, as far as I know.

I wish I knew a fix, other than to refinish the affected area.

He said he already spent the money and sold one of my trades, so he won't take it back. I have decided to try to recoup some of my costs on reverb. It really is a great and beautiful guitar, I just can't tolerate anything short of perfect on this one.

Back