Hollow Body SE Piezo output problem

RockyConrad

I just purchased a HB II SE Piezo this past fall. Was quite pleased just playing rhythm. Late November I signed up for a online guitar course, and because of the content I just used my acoustic guitar. Learning about scales, melody lines and such. Now after winter I decided to break out my HB SE and get to know it a little bit better. While trying to do scales that I learned on my acoustic, I noticed that if my SE is in Piezo mode, (mag pickups turned off) my A string only gives me about 60-70% volume as the other strings. That ain't right. Since my model (SE) is less expensive that the US model, there are no trim pots in the battery compartment to adjust for each string.

I've Google the net to see if other owners might have had a similar issue, a couple of hits are close but not exactly the same problem.

I'm planning on calling my Sweetwater rep, letting them know the issue and see what they can do.
PS - the electronics outputs have even sound on all strings.

I just purchased a HB II SE Piezo this past fall. Was quite pleased just playing rhythm. Late November I signed up for a online guitar course, and because of the content I just used my acoustic guitar. Learning about scales, melody lines and such. Now after winter I decided to break out my HB SE and get to know it a little bit better. While trying to do scales that I learned on my acoustic, I noticed that if my SE is in Piezo mode, (mag pickups turned off) my A string only gives me about 60-70% volume as the other strings. That ain't right. Since my model (SE) is less expensive that the US model, there are no trim pots in the battery compartment to adjust for each string.

I've Google the net to see if other owners might have had a similar issue, a couple of hits are close but not exactly the same problem.

I'm planning on calling my Sweetwater rep, letting them know the issue and see what they can do.
PS - the electronics outputs have even sound on all strings.
You’re correct.
Calling Sweetwater is your best bet, then go from there.

And the story continues...
Call my sales rep at Sweetwater, I was then connected to the Guitar Workshop. We had about a 15 minute discussion about what I did and didn't do, "change strings?, No", my testing and not changing anything.... I also told about check the NET for similar issues. He sent me a UPS sticker. I repackaged the guitar in its original box (I always keep shipping boxes until warranty runs out). And set it back to Sweetwater. (March 27, 2023) Seven days later, I received an email saying they were going to send the guitar back to the factory for evaluation/fix. (April 3, 2023)
Okay...the problem must have stumped their techs too. Nothing to do now but wait and play my Strat or Martin.

May 18, 2023.... Resolution!
PRS got back to Sweetwater Guitar shop about the 10th of May, with an email saying they were going to "replace" the guitar with a new one. BUT I had to decide between a Peacock Blue HB2 SE with piezo or a Gold/black HB2SE WITHOUT a piezo pickup. The factory said they weren't getting my paint scheme until the end of the year! I slept on it... if I would have wanted Peacock Blue, I would have ordered it last fall when I purchased my Gold/Black model. And I wanted the piezo; the whole reason I bought that model. I checked Sweetwater to see if they had in HB2SE with piezo pickup and they did. So long story short, I got a brand new one from SW as a replacement. The FedEx guy delivered it today! I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, but I'm surprised they wouldn't be able to figure something so specfic out. Usually as we all know, it's intermittent problmes that are bad news.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Mike

Sorry to hear that, but I'm surprised they wouldn't be able to figure something so specfic out. Usually as we all know, it's intermittent problmes that are bad news.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Mike
See my modified post... problem resolved. I got a new replacement from Sweetwater.

Back