Historic Color/Finish - Mid-Late 80's

muzicman

So this is a story (and search for) the one that got away... you know the one that was just "right"?

Somewhere around 1984-87, in St. Louis (don't remember which store, but it was a big shop, maybe Sam Ash?). Here is what I remember:

Was either Custom 22 or 24
Nickle Hardware
Stop Tailpiece
Birds Inlay

Now the mystery part:

The paint job was blue with a "speckled" finish... little black pain splatter/dots all over the body - front, back, sides, neck, headstock. If memory serves this was early enough that "10 tops" where a huge rarity, and full painted seems the norm.

Does anyone remember what that finish was called? I have searched high/low and can't find pictures or descriptions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can't find one for sale, I will have one built if it is possible.

Thanks!

Steve

Welcome aboard!

It would have been at least '85. The funky finish would indicate later 80's.
If it was the 80's, it was 24 frets.
If it was painted, it was a Standard (or simply "PRS Guitar" for the first couple years) and not a Custom.
Stop tailpiece: the PRS one-piece hadn't been invented yet, so it would have been the Mil-Com vibrato or maaaybe a tune-o-matic.

The first finish that came to my mind was a blue crackle, but I only find pics of red ones online. The back of the neck would've been solid black, like this one: https://gpguitars.com/products/1988-prs-standard-red-crackle

Second thought is maybe a blue multi-foil, like this one: https://reverb.com/item/5011097-pau...4-series-blue-multi-foil-1988-blue-multi-foil.

All that said, knowing PRS, it's always possible that it was some sort of one-off build.

Thanks Garrett for the welcome and the info. It must have been a tunomatic as I would not have picked it up with Trem (fixed guy only). It may have been a little later in the 80s (old guy memory not serving me well at all)

Multi-foil immediately came to mind. It's the stop tail, which would have had to have been a two piece that stumps me. I didn't think they used those before the Limited. I could be totally wrong about that.

Back