Hip me to the custom order process?

Gnarmageddon

I'm already getting ahead of myself, but I'm very interested in a custom build. I had a couple good royalty statements and was actually raring up to do a custom shop ESP some months back (before I got hooked on this CE24). Thing for me is there's something I prefer about a few different models, so it's not like I'm coming with some crazy shape ideas. In fact, what I'm really looking to do is get the PRS quality, shape, build and craftsmanship on something much, much more stripped back.

It would be their Custom 24 double cut shape with the deep cap, but more like a McCarty thickness. Single humbucker with a 2-way toggle in place of the volume pot. No tone pot. Painted, not stained. Tune-o-matic bridge (though the 'Pauls Guitar' 1-piece could fly, too). Ebony fretboard with a single inlay at the 12th fret. So... yeah... very simple. I'd probably ask if doing a 26" scale was possible without major upcharge.

The customs I see coming from Private Stock are all insanely gorgeous specimens of instruments and have prices to match. I'm coming at this more from a "no bells, no whistles" kind of place where I'm like "yeah, but I want LESS stuff here!" The only PRS dealer in NYC is a GuitarHell, so striking up a conversation on their sales floor about a custom built instrument seems like a non-starter.

So my big questions are: One, relative cost. What's the ante for getting into a one-off guitar built to spec and two, for anyone who's done this, are we talking months? Years? Oh, and do you have to necessarily work through a dealer?

Through a dealer - yes. Absolutely. But there are numerous great dealers on here who will be willing to work with you.

Pricey? Yep, it's gonna be. You may be asking for less, but that's not the key - you're asking for different. That's really where a good chunk of costs can come in. Because the bodies are cut on CNC machines, it's not quite as easy as just saying "don't carve a neck pickup hole". Your wiring, while not complex, is still different from the norms.

Time-wise, I think the last I heard for PS was over a year, but don't quote me on that. I haven't paid strict attention because I'm not really looking at the process right now.

To create this guitar you will either need to go Private Stock and the price tag that goes with it.

Alternatively, you buy a beater PRS, yes there are some out there and find a luthier to do your custom makeover.
That's.... that's a good idea. I actually have a great guitar whisperer who has redone some guitars for me. Check this gut rehab he did of a 95 ESP M-II Deluxe. It was quite the ruffian when I found it dejected in a pawn shop (and hey, it's for sale if you like that whole 'shredder hockey stick neck vibe').

That's.... that's a good idea. I actually have a great guitar whisperer who has redone some guitars for me. Check this gut rehab he did of a 95 ESP M-II Deluxe. It was quite the ruffian when I found it dejected in a pawn shop (and hey, it's for sale if you like that whole 'shredder hockey stick neck vibe').

There’s a guy on Instagram that does PRS refinishes. I watching some of his vids last night.

Back