HFS/Vintage Bass Question?

Goosey

I recently installed a 1991 HFS/Vintage Bass set into my 2007 Custom 24 as the guitar had EMG's in it when I bought it and I wanted to revert it back to original. Since installing them i've found them to be very dark sounding (especially the HFS). It's wired up with a 500k tone pot (with push/pull coil tap), a 3 way toggle and a 250k volume pot. I'm not too sure what the capacitor was that I put in but it was the same one that was in their from the EMG's. Could the 250k volume pot or the capacitor be causing the darkness? I really want to keep this pickup set in here for originality sake but if they do just sound that dark then i'll have to swap them for something more useable.
Can anyone shed some light on my situation? It'd be greatly appreciated :top:

I'm thinking that the 250k pot is the problem. I'll change it out today and hopefully that solves the problem.

I've rewired it with a 500k volume pot and it sounds great! The HFS is probably one of my favourite pickups to date for big chords and lead work.
Turns out my problem was it wasn't a 250k pot in their, it was a 25k pot... from the EMG's... In my ignorance I didn't even think and just used it so that was why I found the pickups so dark and muddy. I'm very happy with the final result!

Back