HELP! PRS Torero Pinging/Overtone Issue

Ben Stevens

Hey All,

So i own a four year old SE Torero that has recently been giving me some real headaches. Maybe i haven't noticed it before (can't imagine it) but on every string minus the E (top) and B string i have had some sort of pinging overtone sound when i palm mute them open (only open). Not all at the same time but on different strings each time i have changed them. I first noticed it when i put Ernie Ball 12 cobalts on (Guitar was tuned to C# then) and it happened on the C#, G#, B and E strings. Swapped the low C#, G# and B for Ernie Ball beefy slinky's as a test. C# ping went away but the other three remained. Took it into a luthier and he couldn't help. Changed all the strings to 12 regulars and the pinging stopped on all but the B string. Took it into another luthier and he couldn't help either. Changed the strings to regular slinkys, moved the saddle blocks back and tuned it to standard and now the noise is on the A and D strings. Before i had adjusted the pickups, springs, ect.. with no luck. There are no moving parts in the nut so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I feel like it has something to do with the bridge/saddles on the Floyd Rose (Original). When i tap the saddle of the problem string with a pick when the strings are not held down, that is the sound i am hearing when i palm mute open. Maybe they have become defective and are causing the strings to vibrate? It is a very resonant guitar as it is a neck through but i have taped off the springs and the strings on the headstock and the problem still persists. I am running the guitar through an amp into headphones so that is how the problem is heard the best. I have run it through several amps without change. This issue happens regardless of distortion or clean amp settings as well.

Anyone know what to make of this or have experienced something similar? I am at a loss and have no idea what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

- Ben

Back