Help Needed please

horax

Narrowed down.

I have an S2 Singlecut Standard, all mahogany with #7 pickups.

Now looking for a whale blue SE cu 22 or SE 245.
Not certain fi the 245 will be too similar to what I have already, or if it won't be.

I played a cu 22 tonight that was awesome, but couldn't plug it in. It was gorgeous!
Normally I'm a singlecut guy, but this might make me change my mind. I guess my question
is the comparison between body thickness between the two.

Is the 245 much thicker than the cu22? Could'nt compare as they had no 245's in stock.
Also, tonewise, which would give me more tonal options in comparison to what I have?

If you want something that will give you a different tone than your S2 SC, get the CU22. Ultimately, YOUR SC has way more options to manipulate the tone via the push/pull pots than either SE will have. BUT, the CU22 will give you options. The SE 245 is pretty straight forward.

As far as body thickness, the CU22 should be a little thinner - but that's what'll give you a different tone than the SC you already have.

IIRC the Cu22 is 1/8th inch thinner.
That's all? Wow...would have thought that the 245 would be a thick boy.

Also, as far as custom vs custom standard....I know one has the maple cap and other does not.
I"m thinking 200-250 more for the maple cap might be....not worth it, maybe?

The standard has the bound neck and matching headstock, but the custom has flamed maple
cap....the choices are bothering me here.

Standard=transparent blue
Custom=whale blue
245=whale blue

preview.jpg

preview.jpg

preview.jpg

Also, as far as custom vs custom standard....I know one has the maple cap and other does not.

The standard has the bound neck and matching headstock, but the custom has flamed maple
cap....the choices are bothering me here.

Standard=transparent blue
Custom=whale blue
245=whale blue

preview.jpg

preview.jpg

preview.jpg

Those are the Custom 24 and Standard 24 - 24 fret models which will both offer different tones because the neck PU is closer to the bridge to accommodate the extra 2 frets. The Bridge maybe similar too. I would expect the Scale Length to be different and you get the Trem system too with the 24as opposed to the wrap around bridge.

The Standards are Solid Mahogany body where as the Customs do have the Maple cap and veneer so there is that difference too. Obviously with the 245 you get a separate tone/volume control for each pick-up but it again comes down to your preference - if you can't pick 1, pick both. I can't say what you will prefer, which you will find better suited to your preferences - just that they are all great guitars for the money and offer something different too - albeit slight in some situations...

as much as I LOVE the maple top flaming, I went with the all mahogany custom 24. Something completely different than I"m used to.
The price spoke volumes...but the quality should be the same.

Can't wait to get her delivered.

ID03655-768x534.jpg

ID03655C-768x1104.jpg

Can't wait to get her delivered.

Hope you'll get her delivered soon, congratulations on that one! I know exactly what you feel like now, was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. I went for a 2017 Cu22 in WB with ebony fretboard instead of a transcluent blue one - let us see your new one in all her glory when she arrives, really like the color!;D

prs_se_cu22_01.JPG

btw: Your linked pictures have some kind of hot link-protection which makes them disappear for people who don't manually open them and click a re-captcha

Last edited:
Didn't see this earlier around. As Mozzi pointed out it's a Standard 24, not Custom 24.
That Standard is not 250.- cheaper because of the maple cap only. Remember this thread: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/old-vs-new-se-lines.32723/#post-414860 ?
So when "she" has finally arrived you can tell us how the Indonesian ones are to play :)

Ah yes, just read the thread again.

I actually did buy from Dave’s. Didn’t even know about it.

Already searching for another ;)

Already searching for another ;)
That's a problem I know off, too! xD
I'd recommend keeping your eyes open for some dealer special editions. Here in germany the SE Standard/245 is priced at around 550-600 EUR, while the customs are more in the range of 750-900 EUR. The Cu22 I just bought was a dealers edition from 2017 - I only paid 650,- EUR for that one brand new. That's about 250,- less than a a PRS SE 2018 Custom 22 in Whale Blue costs right now - and that one has a rosewood fretboard, not ebony (but it's got coil splitting, which mine is missing). Can't tell for where you live - but also there's some PRS SE around (show room models) from a limited run a few years back. It's a PRS SE SingleCut Blue Matteo with Moon inlays which was limited to 100pcs (I think). Happy shopping! :D

I'm in the USA in Colorado.
More dealers out here should carry PRS but where I live they unforutunately do not.

Back