Help me troubleshoot my PRS?

Michael_DK

I'm posting this numerous places in the hopes of somebody being able to help.

I’ve been playing mostly rhythm guitar the time I’ve had it, but lately when playing some lead-type stuff I’ve recently noticed something strange in the tone of my PRS Brent Mason signature guitar. It’s like a very noticeable and dissonant harmonic tone. Sometimes it sounds like hammering.

I noticed it on the G string when playing single notes above the 7th fret - but it’s there on all the frets and even the open string. It’s also a bit noticeable on the B string, whereas the high e string doesn’t seem to have this problem at all - anywhere. It seems to be present on at least the D string as well, but not very noticeable, and I’m not sure if it’s on the A and E strings either - it seems like it is “covered up” by the tonality of the latter two to some extent.

The effect is not very noticeable on the bridge pickup, but on the middle and neck pickups it’s very obvious (and also in the middle positions).

Naturally I first suspected fret buzz - but the problem is apparent on the highest fret also (so fret buzz is not the culprit). I’ve tried dampening EVERYTHING (see below), but it has no effect.

I am not able to hear anything amiss acoustically (when playing unplugged). It’s not something I hear when playing on a clean amp either, but once the tones start to break up, the dissonance gets in there - and gets worse with higher gains.

What I’ve tried so far, to no avail:

- A through setup (neck relief, intonation, string height)
- Lowered all the pickups as low as they will go (to rule out “stratits” - pickup magnetism pulling strings excessively)
- Putting on a new G string
- Dampening behind the fretting position, behind the nut, the tremolo springs
- “Dampening” the pick guard in various positions all over the surface
- Checked each and every screw and bolt on the guitar for tightness
- Raising the string height very high
- Lowering the string height very low
- Installing an e string and then a B string in the G string slot. e string did not exhibit this problem; B string did slightly.
- Dampening the bridge as best I could
- Verified that saddles were even (not riding on just a single grub screw)
- Removed G string saddle and checked for any burrs - there were none that I could see or feel
- Played through both my Kemper amp (both headphone out and s/pdif out to my audio interface had the problem) and recording through my audio interface directly into my DAW, putting a guitar emulation plugin on the recorded track - same problem. Even tried into my iPad - same problem.
- Turned down tone knob completely - which helped at first, but recording this signal, and then reamping with a hi mid frequency boost to bring back the highs revealed the problem again
- Possibly other things I don’t remember - but I think that’s all of it.

I’ve linked to a recording on soundcloud where I demonstrate the issues - see the comments in the soundcloud link for explanation.

http://soundcloud.com/michael_dk/prs-dissonance

What is going on here??

Wow that's crazy. Could a faulty cap do this? You could try putting a wire in parallel with the cap (path of least resistance) to test?

No idea - but wouldn't that affect the high e string as well?
I'd try it if it were a "normal" PRS, but it's a bit of an operation on the Brent Mason due to the pickguard and the middle pickup being mounted directly to the body...

I'm just wondering (since you've tried everything mechanical), that it might be something electrical. The fact that it's more apparent on some strings and not on others points to some kind of weird harmonic resonance, but yeah, maybe those some harmonics can be filtered (and messed up) by a dead cap?

I am of course clutching at straws here!

I'm just wondering (since you've tried everything mechanical), that it might be something electrical. The fact that it's more apparent on some strings and not on others points to some kind of weird harmonic resonance, but yeah, maybe those some harmonics can be filtered (and messed up) by a dead cap?

I am of course clutching at straws here!

I understand - so am I :)

If nothing else works, I will try it - but hoping for less invasive fixes/troubleshooting in the meantime. Thanks for the suggestion in any case

Update:
So, taking the advice I saw somewhere on the internet, I threw on a WOUND g string. That helped a lot - it's still there, but no more noticeable than on adjacent the B and D strings. But I don't think it should be necessary to use a wound third string for this....???

Also, a non-wound string of different brand and bigger size (0.018 as opposed to the "regular" 0.017) did NOT make a difference.

That's quite a problem. I sounds like something is transferring energy that shouldn't be. I think it's a contact problem on the G string. One of the slots that the string is passing through in either the saddle or the nut isn't the right shape. I think the nut needs to be recut and/or the saddle filed a bit.

That's quite a problem. I sounds like something is transferring energy that shouldn't be. I think it's a contact problem on the G string. One of the slots that the string is passing through in either the saddle or the nut isn't the right shape. I think the nut needs to be recut and/or the saddle filed a bit.

That was one of my first thoughts.
I've tried having the string riding on top of the nut (not in the groove). This produced the same result - I would expect the sound to at least change somewhat if the nut were the culprit. Furthermore, I've been meticulously dampening the strings behind fretting position and also behind the nut - also while capoed at the 12th fret to have my hands free :).
I've also looked very closely at the saddle. No burrs or anything that I could see - or feel.

Maybe try adding more relief, just to make sure the truss rod is under tension, this probably won't help since they're dual acting.

This just happened out of the blue right? Again, points to be more than likely something electronic.

Maybe try adding more relief, just to make sure the truss rod is under tension, this probably won't help since they're dual acting.

This just happened out of the blue right? Again, points to be more than likely something electronic.

I can feel that the truss rod is under tension when adjusting it, so I don't think that's the culprit. And yeah, something electronic seems to be the last possibility. Or something rattling underneath the pickguard.

I don't think it happened out of the blue; As I said, I've mostly been playing rhythm stuff on the guitar, but I noticed it this week when doing some lead stuff for a change.

For now it's workable with the wound g string for the recording stuff I'm about to do - but it shouldn't be necessary to use a wound 3rd string, I think. I'm also concerned about fret wear long-term for the g-string, regarding bends especially.
I've checked, and my LP doesn't seem to have this problem with its plain 3rd string. If I had noticed this within the 30 day money back guarantee period when I first got the guitar, I would have returned it for a refund, I think - unless I knew what caused it and it was an easy fix. One more thing to test for when shopping next time, I guess....

Could be an amp issue, like a microphonic tube. It may only be certain strings at certain frets cause that's the correct frequency to make the tube vibrate. I would try a different amp, if you haven't already.

Well you could always return it for a warranty fix right? You bought it new from Thomann IIRC?

You, sir, have an excellent memory :)
Yeah - that might be where it is headed. Just want to troubleshoot some myself first. Also because I JUST threw out the box it came in, making packaging for the return a bit more complicated/expensive.....

Could be an amp issue, like a microphonic tube. It may only be certain strings at certain frets cause that's the correct frequency to make the tube vibrate. I would try a different amp, if you haven't already.

See original post ;-) TL;DR: also tried amp sim in computer, and on ipad.

NEVER toss out a full-size guitar shipping box. Rent storage space if necessary. I figure each one is worth around $50 USD. On the real issue, I'm guessing an electronic bug has come to life. You have done a good job on mechanical issue elimination.

NEVER toss out a full-size guitar shipping box. Rent storage space if necessary. I figure each one is worth around $50 USD. On the real issue, I'm guessing an electronic bug has come to life. You have done a good job on mechanical issue elimination.

Re the box: I'm coming to realize that... Cleared out a lot of stuff I thought I'd never need in the process of moving. Ain't that just typical? :)

Yeah, the electronics - or just a basic characteristic of the guitar construction, maybe

I'm a hoar(der), I keep ALL my boxes, sometimes even some from gear I've moved on. Doh!

I don't think it's a characteristic of the guitar itself, that's pretty much unplayable after listening to your demo! I've played similar construction PRSi (NF3, DC3) and neither of them exhibited that bizarre issue.

Got it. Sorry, I'm illiterate. Actually, my baby typed this for me, and he doesn't know what amps are yet. Daycares just aren't the same as they used to be.

See original post ;-) TL;DR: also tried amp sim in computer, and on ipad.

I'm a hoar(der), I keep ALL my boxes, sometimes even some from gear I've moved on. Doh!

I don't think it's a characteristic of the guitar itself, that's pretty much unplayable after listening to your demo! I've played similar construction PRSi (NF3, DC3) and neither of them exhibited that bizarre issue.

Yeah, if it were the guitar it would probably be a dud, and not inherent to the series.

Back