Help me pick 2 speakers for my 2 Channel Custom and H

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5962

I now have a 2 Channel Custom and a 2 Channel H. I also bought the matching 2x12 PRS cab. While the V30s work great on the clean channel, the upper mids spike is making me not like it on the OD channels. I want to push these towards more of a Brit tone. In fact, the Custom will probably be going to EL34s soon. But in the meantime, I'm looking at speakers. Here are my current options I'm considering:

1) Scumback M75-65 watt/H75-65 watt (Recommended mix by Jim at Scumback, and a combo Pete Thorn speaks highly of
2) Warehouse ET65/Retro 30. Also getting rave reviews individually and especially when paired. Barely over half the price of option 1
3) Celestion V type/ ??? (maybe H type Creamback???) The Vtype is supposed to be a Greenback/V30 mix and another speaker Pete is fond of.
4) Eminence Private Jack/ Governor or/ Wizard- I have PJ now, their Greenback-ish speaker, and Governor (Their V30 type with with the spike tamed) and both sound great with the PRS amps in individual 1x12 Avatar cabs.

Whatever I decide, I'd buy two 16 ohm speakers to keep it as an 8 ohm cab. The Scumbacks have lots of "best I've ever tried" reviews at The Gear Page. The Warehouse also has many big fans, and they are significantly less expensive. Enough less that I could actually get Combo #2 plus an H type Reaper for about the same cash as option one, and try various combos of the three. The Vtype is appealing just because of what it is and that is mixes some of each H and V. The Eminence speakers I already know will sound very good with the amp, and they too are less expensive.

I've always wanted Scumbacks, and they are on sale now for less than most Celestions. I'm looking to do 70s and 80s classic, hard rock, blues rock, and metal and in case the screen name didn't give it away, PROG. I know I have some V type speakers in my mix, but for example, the Mesa V30 in my Mini Rec cab sounds better (theirs has the spike tamed as well as the Governor from Emi) and the Governor sounds really good as well. But I'd love some greenback type tone in the mix! I was hoping that when breaking in the stock V30s would mellow some, but I've punched them pretty good the last few times the wife was not home and their still to spikey for me.

What should I buy?

Last edited by a moderator:
last night i was reading your other thread about your experience with the H, didnt you find the greenbacks the kind of sound you where looking for?

If I were to choose between the speakers you have listed, I'd probably rock the Scumbacks. I loved the tone I heard from them on Pete Thorn's videos, and my only caveat is that I haven't heard them in person. On a recording, they sound great. I also think the two slightly dissimilar speaker cones will not only balance each other out in the room, one with slightly more bass, one slightly brighter, but will also give you a choice of which speaker to mic up for various tones you might want to record.

The other speakers are fine speakers, but honestly I don't think they have the vibe the Scumbacks do.

Then again, I do like V-30s in the right cab, and I like the Mesa-modded Celestion Black Shadow 90s in the right cabs quite a bit. So you might not like my taste in speakers!

I'm actually thinking of putting a set of the Celestion Cream Alnico 90s in a cab. I've always liked the Alnico vibe. So there's that.

On the threads I have read about speaker swaps it seem most who DON'T like the V30s really like Celestion 75s or Green backs
I like Les am a fan of V30s and Mesa 90s
Actually right now my setup is My EL34 loaded PRS H with a V-30 loaded Deep Cab and when needed a Orange clone cab with Jensen MOD 50s
The Cabs seem to work equally well with my Boogie or the H after having a 4x12 Marshall ( also w V30s ) cab for a bit it seems I like the sound of more speakers not really for volume but dispersion

it's not that I dislike V30s completely. Remember, I like my Governor and my Mesa V30, both of which versions tame the spike in the regular Celestion V30. But I'm leaning towards a greenback sound, so I'm probably going to prefer 2 greenback types, or a greenback and something else mixed. I considered 2 Scumback M75 but but Jim recommended M75/H75 mix, and Pete Thorn and several others who have tried that ix recommended it as well.

With the others, for example ET65 is described as greenback on steroids, So I have some greenback flavor in everthing I really want to try, although i left out one consideration. A V30/G12H mix is a very popular mix. I could try that first by adding just one H, be it a Scumback, Celestion Creamback, Reaper, Wizard, etc... I did think about that. But I really want to lean it more towards a greenback type. I'm already getting great tones with the other speakers I have now. All of them are 8 ohm in 1x12 cabs. I'm just searching for the right mix for the PRS pine cab. I'm hoping some EL34s and a greenback type speaker or two will be JUST what I'm looking for. I love the way it sounds now with the 1x Private Jack. If I hadnt scored the new cab, I'd be good with that as is, then just try the EL34s.

I like that Scumback combination on Pete Thorn's video so much that I'd get a 2x12 cab to try it in, just for grins, if it didn't involve so much screwing.

And unscrewing.

;)

Oh sure, I know about the power drill/driver. I even have one. But I'm still not doing it! I used to do it, I used to swap out speakers when I was a lad. Even when I was middle-aged. But now? Bending down and holding the drill driver for long enough to do the work would kill my back!

Seriously, it'd be great if one could special order a PRS or Mesa cab with whatever speakers one wanted to ship them. I know...I'm lazy. But I'm also old, so maybe that's my excuse! :top:

And yes, I know about all those companies that will make you a cab with whatever speakers you want. But I like PRS and Mesa cabs! Sue me!

Last edited:
... I'd get a 2x12 cab to try it in... I know about the power drill/driver. I even have one. But I'm still not doing it! I used to...
Don't make me come up there with a cordless drill...

I have 2 identical vert 2x12 Boogie cabs with different speakers - one with a pair of C90s and the other with WGS ET65 and Veteran 30 - and they really are completely different. The C90s cut and do modern stuff beautifully and the WGS stuffed one is warmer, refined and beautiful. Then I have a single ET65 in a closed 1x12 and it tames the bright nature of my MkIII with skill. Wonderful speakers, even if you ignore the price difference. With all that said, I gig my PRS cabs the most, both with V30s.

Don't make me come up there with a cordless drill....

You can come up and use mine.

Until I fully heal from that damned surgery, I'm not screwing around with speaker cabs.

"When will you heal from the surgery, Les?"

"For purposes of messing with replacing guitar speakers, that'll be when I'm dead. And hopefully that will be a long time from now!"

well hopefully I'll be doing some experimenting for you, and you can save your batteries. Of course, when I start drooling about how good it sounds, you might change your mind. LOL

Boogieman, thanks for the thoughts on the WGS speakers. I might put the Scumbacks on my PRS then get a couple of the WGS to try in my Avatar cabs. But my next cab (which I was going to get NOW until I decided I needed new speakers in the PRS cab) is the 2x12 vertical recto cab with V30s. I want that for my Mark V25. Please feel free to share any further thoughts on how those WGS compare to your other speakers. The ET65 is particularly interesting to me.

Back