Headstock Logo engravings

Jo-

f-hole lover
I was admiring my HBII with the IRW neck the other day when I noticed for the first time that the logo was very squashed up. Is this usual for inlaid logos? The Reed part of the logo is right inside the Paul part and the Smith is pretty squashed in too.

IMG_4287.jpg

Usually the logos end up closer to the D and G tuners.

IMG_4286.jpg

I was admiring my HBII with the IRW neck the other day when I noticed for the first time that the logo was very squashed up. Is this usual for inlaid logos? The Reed part of the logo is right inside the Paul part and the Smith is pretty squashed in too.

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

Well things shrink with age ;)

What are the relative years of manufacture? Maybe they've switched up the logo again - they've had about 4 or 5 variations so far, AFAIK.

That is crazy. I know that the signature/logo on the SE headstocks is a bit compressed, but even they don't overlap the Paul, Reed, and Smith names...

Google image results for "PRS headstock logo" aren't even finding me anything that looks like that one.

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

They changed the logo up for a few years there in the early '10's. I was so glad when they went back to the more "normal" looking one. I'm not a fan of the bigger, yet squishier style.

FWIW, all those in your pic are inlaid. The top two are corian vs. the abalone in the bottom one.

If I saw this signature on anything other than a PRS headstock, I would never guess it says Paul Reed Smith...

...but I kind of like it

Back