5 piece or 3 piece neck?

Vic6string

So I was just taking a closer look at my new CE, and have a question for you folks: is it a 5 piece or a 3 piece neck? Every video I watched and thing I read before buying it said that the CE was a 5 piece (Neck, extra piece at the end joint, headstock, and the two little flares at the bottom of the headstock). I know the front of the headstock has a thin veneer for the signature logo, so it will look like one full piece, but looking at the back and sides of the headstock, it looks to be one solitary piece. There is no way they added a little piece to each side on this because all of the grain lines match up perfectly. Is this a new thing, or were all the descriptions I saw incorrect? It's not a big deal, just curious.

Edit: Added pics in my next reply if you want to go see.

Last edited:
I know it's technically a 3 piece. I also have no problem with the two little wings because they have no bearing on structural integrity or sound at all. The thing is, This thing doesn't appear to have them. I can usually tell easily where the wings start, but this head appears to be one solid piece to me. Take a look:
dDYsCqL.jpg
G792Kp4.jpg
TIzceJ6.jpg
YNuttwK.jpg
Uwcr59K.jpg

It’s usually the most apparent at the back of the headstock. As far as I know they all have the extra wings so I’d be really surprised if yours was one piece for some reason. PRS is really good at matching woods too, my 24-08 and 594 both have three piece backs and it’s basically impossible to tell.
Can't believe I posted every pic but the main one. Here ya go (I just don't see any sign of the wings...grain seems to match all the way):

xnfHP2r.jpg

I see wings. Nice job on grain alignment, though.
I don't see it....especially when looking at the middle three pics above (side views from the bottom up). Those grains run all the way down the neck, I just can't see them perfectly matching grains like that, it would take forever to find the right pieces and cut them the right way. Usually you can easily spot the wings.

More obvious on the right hand side. Look for a small line just below the washer on the tuner.

On the S2 and current CE, they are three pieces. One-piece headstock with a scarf joint to the main shaft, plus a heel block spliced on.

Core and the original CE and other early bolt-ons like the EG and SAS are essentially one-piece necks, with the little ears added to the headstock.

From what I've seen of the Fiore and Silver Sky, they are two pieces: a one-piece headstock scarfed to the main shaft. No heel splice needed due to their neck joint.

On the S2 and current CE, they are three pieces. One-piece headstock with a scarf joint to the main shaft, plus a heel block spliced on.

Core and the original CE and other early bolt-ons like the EG and SAS are essentially one-piece necks, with the little ears added to the headstock.

From what I've seen of the Fiore and Silver Sky, they are two pieces: a one-piece headstock scarfed to the main shaft. No heel splice needed due to their neck joint.
This. I am also with the OP. There are no wings on my SE Silver Sky. Must have to do with how they cut the blank for the scarf.

Interesting, I’ll have to check my CE and see if it has the separate wings. It makes sense that the models with a scarf joint wouldn’t since the headstock is cut from its own piece of wood.

Using a scarf joint means you can use much smaller cuts of wood while not needing to glue extra bits on.

If you think about it, it's cheaper to make that way as there's time and material cost to gluing things together.

So they can have minimal waste and cost this way!
That absolutely makes sense, I had just always heard that all the PRS headstocks had the wings added on so I was shocked to see that wasn't the case with these. Top to bottom, this thing is truly amazing. The attention to detail and the quality of the craftsmanship is unsurpassed.

Back