HDRX 100

JStor

This amp was sweet until it’s not. I’ve had the amp for about two months now and have babied it quite much. I think I’ve played all of three gigs with it. Upon turning the amp on tonight I get power but no sound to speakers. I have switched cables, tried going through an Ox Box, even switched outlets through out my house. I have to say I have only experienced high quality with their guitars and amp up until now, I’m quite disappointed.
Anyone else out there with an HDRX experiencing any problems?

I have two HX/DAs, an earlier variant, and have never experienced the “power on, no sound” thing. Yours is under warranty, and I’d suggest that if you’re unfamiliar with amp voltages and such, get on the phone with PRS service and let them help you through checking what you can. You can also take it to your PRS dealer and have them take a peek. You’d be surprised how often a loose tube, bad fuse, or connector can shut down the best amp.

It’s usually something simple. PRS amps are known for good tone and extreme reliability, but like literally any brand of amp, things can break. This is the only report I’ve heard of a new Hendrix amp going on the blink.

Usually it's something simple. My HXDA once had a tube go, and there were internal fuses. Turned out a fuse had gone when the power tube went bad.

PRS checked the amp out, replaced the output tubes and fuse, and I was good to go. I probably could have done it myself if only I'd had a clue as to what was wrong.

But I think RickP is right. Check with PRS with a phone call, not an email, so they can walk you through what to check for. Things can break in shipping, etc., too. And sometimes a component that checks out fine at the factory, like a resistor or some other small part, fails.

In any case, PRS will take care of you. No need to give up on the amp.

I should have said stuff fails right away or at the end of its expected life. (bathtub curve)

It's possible a part had a flaw and failed early.

Our new Santa Fe had an issue like that and the dealer fixed it under warranty.

Take it to a qualified tech. If your HT fuse is blown, you can replace it, but it would be good to know why it blew in the first place.

Take it to a qualified tech. If your HT fuse is blown, you can replace it, but it would be good to know why it blew in the first place.
I agree, but if the fuse was blown wouldn't it not power up?

Well ****, just talked to Sweetwater and they're sending me a new amp and I'm sending this one back! I'm still curious wtf happened.

I agree, but if the fuse was blown wouldn't it not power up?
If the AC MAINS fuse is blown, the wall AC won't make it to the power transformer and, therefore, the whole amp won't power up. If the HT fuse is blown (on the internal DC power supply), the amp will power on but, without voltage on the power string, there will be no sound.

In a wild turn of events I now have a HX100 amp instead of an HDRX. Sweetwater replaced it in a jiffy with the one they still had, being a HX.
It works and rocks, still intrigued as to what happened though.

I have an HXDA and despite the amps being based around Marshall Plexi circuits, I'm intrigued by the HX/HDRX. Seems to me to be a very cool amp; I like the idea that Hendrix had his modded to his tastes and needs. I thought the demos of the amp I've heard absolutely nailed the Hendrix tone.

I generally set the HXDA's switches to be a blend leaning toward Duane Allman's tone, which is another tone I absolutely love. Probably would enjoy having both, I guess.

I wish I was a good enough player to make pulling the trigger on this head and cab a no-brainer! Does anybody have any comment on whether this amp has a sharp front-of-the-note attack? I hope that makes sense - I’m just not a big fan of that initial sharpness. I have a Morgan MVP23 that I really, really like and while the Victory Sheriff 22 has a lovely, full low end, it definitely has this sharpness that I sometimes have to tame. Thanks and take care.

I wish I was a good enough player to make pulling the trigger on this head and cab a no-brainer! Does anybody have any comment on whether this amp has a sharp front-of-the-note attack? I hope that makes sense - I’m just not a big fan of that initial sharpness. I have a Morgan MVP23 that I really, really like and while the Victory Sheriff 22 has a lovely, full low end, it definitely has this sharpness that I sometimes have to tame. Thanks and take care.
I just got the head last week. An older "HX" branded one. I got it for one reason.....I'm a Jimi/ Trower-style blues/rock player and if it's closer than a typical Marshall, I wanted it.
IMO, it is better than ANY Marshall or clone that I owned, and I've been thru many many of them.
#1, the fidelity on the PRS is more usable/ musical. The tone controls have alot of range.
The ability to switch out the bright cap as well as having the choice of 2 different bright caps on a 3-way switch means you can adapt the amp to whatever pedals you're using.
The best feature on the amp, IMO, is the hi-mid switch. It adds a lovely subtle hi-mid cut that is perfect. I got the 100 watter and it's loud as hell, so I'm running it into a Tone King Ironman II Attenuator.
The amp isn't just to sound like Jimi. With a good OD and/ or distortion or fuzz you can get a ton of great 70s Marshall tones.

I just got the head last week. An older "HX" branded one. I got it for one reason.....I'm a Jimi/ Trower-style blues/rock player and if it's closer than a typical Marshall, I wanted it.
IMO, it is better than ANY Marshall or clone that I owned, and I've been thru many many of them.
#1, the fidelity on the PRS is more usable/ musical. The tone controls have alot of range.
The ability to switch out the bright cap as well as having the choice of 2 different bright caps on a 3-way switch means you can adapt the amp to whatever pedals you're using.
The best feature on the amp, IMO, is the hi-mid switch. It adds a lovely subtle hi-mid cut that is perfect. I got the 100 watter and it's loud as hell, so I'm running it into a Tone King Ironman II Attenuator.
The amp isn't just to sound like Jimi. With a good OD and/ or distortion or fuzz you can get a ton of great 70s Marshall tones.
Thanks very much for that feedback, much appreciated. It’s good to know that the various bright caps etc work and have the desired effect. Yeah - an attenuator seems to be a must-have with this beast! Enjoy!! I’ll keep practicing until I think I could even begin to do it justice - or maybe adopt the school of thought that merely enjoying it is justification enough ;-)

I had a similar experience with another non-PRS high end amp. New tube and fuse courtesy of warranty and the amp was flawless for years. It just happens, even with newish expensive amps.

I'm in contact with them:
I sent the original back to Sweetwater and then sent me an older HX version it worked great for about 8hrs, blew sent it back to PRS. Damaged power tube in transit blew fuses and some resistors. New tubes, fuses and resistors, sent back to me. Worked awesome for a 4hr gig, jammed at home for another 4hrs and took it to the next gig a couple days later and blew upon turning on. I've used with an Ox Box for the attenuation.

I really want this amp to work! It sounds amazing when it does. Full humbuckers with my DGT it gets close to Duane tones. I've babied this amp so much since getting it back from PRS, I'm perplexed as to what is making it pop. I'm hoping this isn't a stay at home amp that needs extra coddle. My 67 Super Reverb has endured so much more than this amp :/

If we can't figure out what is going on I might try to trade it with some money back for the 50 watt version and see how it handles.

I should have said stuff fails right away or at the end of its expected life. (bathtub curve)

It's possible a part had a flaw and failed early.

Our new Santa Fe had an issue like that and the dealer fixed it under warranty.
I've never heard the term "bathtub curve" before.

Back