Has anyone filled out their Private Stock "Dream" Sheet?

If I could go crazy, I would probably do some form of Hollowbody/Benedetto Frankenstein. Spruce top, rosewood back and sides, neck suspension pickup, Benedetto style ebony tailpiece and bridge, LR.Baggs Anthem-style piezo/condenser microphone setup, skinny Benedetto-style ebony pickguard.

Yeah, something like that

Been there done that...
7QjyhEN.jpg

Not since they put the drastic restrictions in place.

Yeah, I was trying to remember what the restrictions were?

Personally, if I’m thinking PS, I’d be wanting to do a custom pickup and control layout, and I’m not sure that’s allowed anymore. 3 pickups, 2 volume, 1 tone, mini toggles, blade. Haven’t thought it out in great detail, but something like that.

My memory seems to recall that the new PS allowances are basically for woods and finish, and if that’s the case I’ll just grab a WL model and call it a day.

What's funny I did this...and maybe a year later I was dumbing around Reverb. I saw a used private stock with basically everything but the fretboard wood and inlay color as my "dream build". However I love the fretboard more and inlay color I didn't know at the time existed. I looked and looked again and realized this guitar was better than what I would've spec'd....so I just bought it on the spot!

I have, many times. At one point I was ready to pull the trigger. I brought my MC58 to a local shop that had a few used PS guitars. Playing them back-to-back with my MC58 made me realize I wasn't going to gain anything but exotic woods, beauty and bragging rights. I never looked back, dropped the idea and realized that factory guitars make me happy enough.

Have done so.

My other ones were limited production PS runs that worked just as well for me. My suggestion would be don't overthink it, at the very least until you're ready to order, and even then...maybe consider not overthinking it.

The PS folks have very good suggestions, by the way. They've built a lot of them and have the benefit of knowing what works and what doesn't.

3mVz6f7.jpg

I have, many times. At one point I was ready to pull the trigger. I brought my MC58 to a local shop that had a few used PS guitars. Playing them back-to-back with my MC58 made me realize I wasn't going to gain anything but exotic woods, beauty and bragging rights. I never looked back, dropped the idea and realized that factory guitars make me happy enough.
And That Is The Bottom Line. I Have A Very Plain Jane McCarty. Nothing Fancy About It At All. Bland Top, No Birds, Etc Yet It Is One Of The Best Playing And Sounding Guitars I Have Ever Played/Owned At Any Price Point. I Would Even Go So Far As To Call It Somewhat Ugly In Comparison To The Other Guitars In My Collection But It Is A Player And Always Delivers. I Have Played Many Private Stocks That Didn't.

I Would Even Go So Far As To Call It Somewhat Ugly In Comparison To The Other Guitars In My Collection But It Is A Player And Always Delivers. I Have Played Many Private Stocks That Didn't.
I was perhaps lucky that the one I ordered turned out amazing, because I didn't go to the vault, and didn't pick out the woods. My dealer and Paul R. Smith tapped them and picked them out.

With the electrics, I bought from dealer stock. That way I got to hear and play them first.

For me, that's the best way to make sure it's the guitar I really want.

A guitar that delivers, a magic guitar, is the holy grail as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't matter so much what it looks like if it's a great one!

Wonder if they would make a 12/6 double neck Angelus acoustic?? My dream
Adirondack Spruce, Indian Rosewood back and sides, flame maple body binding, green abalone purfling FB and top/back and side boarders, rosette rosewood inlay with large green abalone, Indian Rosewood neck, ebony fretboard, etched bird FB inlays, etched eagle headstock inlays, green abalone, purfling around headstocks, MOP side dots, PRS phase III locking tuners with Rosewood buttons (yes locking tuners on a acoustic for a quick string changes)…..

Of course I can’t afford it… LMAO
:p:p:p

I can dream

Last edited:
Back