Guitar Wasn't SET UP When It Arrived To You? By Scott Grove

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CoreyT, May 5, 2016.

1. Kred

Kred Thankful today

My core PRS was not setup well when it arrived, the action was way too high. I called the dealer and emailed PRS, and they said it was good for the sustain. After suffering for a year, I did my own setup including the truss rod adjustment to the PRS specs after watching some videos. I lowered the action, but got buzzing from the 12-15th fret on some strings. Earlier this year I took it to Chicago Music Exchange for a setup, and it's like NGD! Plays so much nicer, feels better, and sustains the same as far as I can tell. Wish I had done it earlier.

2. Huggy B

Huggy B Hmm... kinda tangy.

This guy is a little over the top with the temp & humidity thing and how any change in environment is going to throw it all out of whack. On that level he's full of it. Guitars *ARE* the "imperfect instrument" struggling against the tension of the strings and the stability of the design, but if your axe goes *COMPLETELY* out of adjustment just by gong to a different environment (LIKE HE SAYS), it has problems beyond the environment you put it in.

On the other hand, a set up is something that should be done on any guitar you purchase, after any change of string gauge, or if the instrument shows signs of failing. (neck bowing & etc)
    I also feel that its a good idea for guitarists that love the instrument to learn how to do a setup and adjust truss rods. It's not that difficult to learn and after doing some reading/learning and a couple of trial runs, a pro setup is achievable.
    ....been doing it for 3 decades now.

#22 Huggy B, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  3. G-Man

G-Man New Member

After the crazy spring we have had in Ct, I am gong through each guitar in germs setup. Two out of three have been rock stable. No truss rod adjustments needed. Yeah!

4. Parralax view

Parralax view New Member

I've never adjusted my McCarty, I probably should, but it plays fine and doesn't buzz.. I'm not turning a thing if it doesn't need it. I do have others that have required maybe an 1/8th turn and that is about it. A curious thought.. ALL my guitars hang. Most haven't seen their real case in a decade. Will the simple weight of the guitar as it hangs keep the neck somewhat in order?? It seems to be the case with mine.

#24 Parralax view, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  5. Scott Grove

Scott Grove Loved By EVERYONE! lol

Actually, I've got a large point, but it is covered by the hair on my head. Plus, I'm 100% correct on everything stated in the video. With over 3,000 axes under my belt and living in the Mojave Desert for over a decade where the humidity is always under 5% and the temps well above 100 3/4 of the year....I REALLY know my stuff on this subject. [mod edit]

#25 Scott Grove, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  6. GuitarMan

GuitarMan New Member

Yes, but on a very rare occasions.

7. coyote

coyote 408/1=

I dunno... I've got a Fender Stratocaster that needs the truss rod tweak every year or so. But then I also have a Squier Standard Stratocaster that has only needed it once in six years. My 408 is with me since last November or so, and has not needed adjustment.

What I don't grasp is why folks think this is a big deal, or why they feel they need bring it to a tech to accomplish. It's so easy to do, as long as you trust the process and don't be too aggressive with it.