Guitar Playing Ailments

RonnieD

Anyone here suffered/suffering any ailments such as "tennis elbow" (seriously) from years of playing guitar? In early December I was diagnosed with tennis elbow, though I know it's from years of playing. Coincidentally I switched from 10's to 11's full time on all my guitars last March after getting used to them and liking the tone. I wonder if the switch in string guage had any part in exacerbating my condition? Thoughts... On the upside, I'm pretty sure it's getting better after some physio.
RonnieD

I've had trouble with my right elbow and my wrists, though I never attributed them to guitar. Strengthening the small muscles in the area helped quite a bit for the wrists in particular.

I've had trouble with my right elbow and my wrists, though I never attributed them to guitar. Strengthening the small muscles in the area helped quite a bit for the wrists in particular.
My problems were/are in the left elbow and I have carpel tunnel in the left wrist as well. I'm pretty sure though I've caught things early and sleep with a brace often for the carpel tunnel. I tend to play with a lot of vibrato and string bending.

Tendon issues in my lefy bicep down to elbow. Vitamin I takes care of it.

I recently suffered thru a Left Wrist problem, diagnosed as a triangular fibrocartilage complex tear, most like caused by working with my hands in the office.

I could easily flex and extend my wrist, but rotating it or doing the "princess wave", from side to side caused excruciating pain. Guitar playing was out of the question.

I spent two months wearing a wrist brace (when I wasn't working) and taking NSAIDs with noted improvement. When I went to Mexico, earlier this month, lugging around the heave suitcases caused a mild flare-up, but I could still play golf w/o pain and a few days of NSAIDs cleared it up...

I have had aliments that I attribute to playing the guitar, everything from tennis elbow to right shoulder issues to tendon pain between my thumb and index finger (left hand). I have found that switching guitars frequently, helps because (I think) even tough you may not notice it, your posture changes slightly with each guitar. Also (others may disagree), but changing to higher gauge strings can play a role in accelerating guitar related problems. Most of the local pro's in my area who are close to my age (translation = old) have gone to thinner gauge strings as they got older. Exercises will help (as mentioned above)

I have pretty serious RA, it's become a big problem in my left hand.
Not suppose to take meds for it because of my liver.
Gittin old sucks!

Four hand surgeries...... Both wrists carpple tunnel.... Only get the long cut, not the short cut...

Trigger finger right middle finger and left ring finger locked, bending strings for 40 years.... OUCH...

Going up in string gauge is surely contributing to your issue Ronnie. Bending those big strings puts more stress on the hands and wrists. I never did get a diagnosis, but I've gradually shifted from 11s down to 9s due to hand issues.

A buddy of mine has trouble with tendonitis and carpal tunnel. He's a pro at both guitar and drums.

I find for me, it's more that playing exacerbates problems from other activities. Last summer it was trigger finger in my right thumb, the knuckle where it meets the hand, from cycling and yard work. Now the other knuckle on that thumb just plain hurts every time I bend it. I don't feel it catching like trigger finger, so who knows. Going to break down and see the orthopedist if it doesn't clear up by the end of the month.

Guess we have to suffer for our art in whatever small way. :rolleyes:

Ive got tennis elbow right now, but I dont think its from playing guitar. I have a bad right hand from an accident when I was young and it damaged my right ring and pinky finger muscles. So when I am grabbing and lifting heavy things at work Im only using three fingers for the most part.

Back