Gosh...I want a SE CE24 satin...but

mixmkr

But can't they get the wood splice in a place that doesn't freak out my OCD? IOW...down the middle or at least symetrical, if using 3 pieces. Plus..the splices in some models are so visible, it just attracts your attention to it and it isn't subtle. Back sides are not so much an issue...but some awful crazy ones out there on the front.

Almost ALL the ones I see, the splice is 3/5ths (or similar) off to one side...going thru the knobs with a major dark/light difference..etc....or just about a 1/2" off center.
It's crazy.... Does not this bother Paul...or is he oblivious to this?

The flip side of the equation is that it's the lowest priced offering from PRS EVER, and the demos (especially B. Ewald's) sound very, very nice, especially for the dough.

How do they keep the price low? For one, by gluing a few pieces of mahogany together and not being overly concerned about where the splices occur. Something's gotta give, somewhere, to make the thing so very affordable.

It's around 1/10th of the price of a Core model, or less. That's a pretty good deal. There are plenty of pedals that cost more.

The flip side of the equation is that it's the lowest priced offering from PRS EVER, and the demos (especially B. Ewald's) sound very, very nice, especially for the dough.

How do they keep the price low? For one, by gluing a few pieces of mahogany together and not being overly concerned about where the splices occur. Something's gotta give, somewhere, to make the thing so very affordable.

It's around 1/10th of the price of a Core model, or less. That's a pretty good deal. There are plenty of pedals that cost more.

^^^^ this, in a nutshell... You have have to expect some compromise in a good sounding, good playing guitar made with quality parts that comes in at this price point. The three piece body and the satin finish are the saving here...

There are so many $500 or less that don't have this issue. Whether you think they compare us another topic...but classic Vibe Squiers, Epihones and import Gretsch quickly come to mind. Moving a splice over an inch is really an issue? The wood is really that much of a leftover scrap?
I'd rather a 3 or 4 piece vs an off center 2 piece. That seems an easy solution to just a "thrown together" appearance of scrap mahogany.

I'll wager most core owners will think their guitars are 10x better than the SE version.

But that doesn't really mean much. My feelings/ suggestions are to add additional splices and at least make an attempt to find joining pieces that compliment each other. It's like a 6th grader is making wood parts choices or it's just random.

I can tell you .. even a good neck cost $500 .. Even some Core and Artist models are "Flitch matched " rather than bookmatched. This is true of countless violin backs as well . There are some of us hand builders ( and those PS gurus) who are meticulous about the match, but that rarely comes at a low price. There are several techniques woodworkers use .. https://hooddistribution.com/resources/veneer-face-matching/

I can tell you .. even a good neck cost $500 .. Even some Core and Artist models are "Flitch matched " rather than bookmatched. This is true of countless violin backs as well . There are some of us hand builders ( and those PS gurus) who are meticulous about the match, but that rarely comes at a low price. There are several techniques woodworkers use .. https://hooddistribution.com/resources/veneer-face-matching/
Their slip match is what I think could use a little more attention....or even equal sized pieces...like as used on a " neck thru"

if you spend a little more second hand, then you can get a 1 piece top from an S2 model, they really are a sleeper buy second hand
I agree with that mostly. I bought a used SE 24 std from Dave's in mint condition for $killer.... Steal of a deal.

I DO see some that are better matched and as suggested above...grab one as it appears...which is the plan.

S2 having mostly SE specs (except for the 2024 new) have veered me away from thst line.

Maybe one will come along that looks good to you.

I'll wager most core owners will think their guitars are 10x better than the SE version.

Oh, I think mine are a bazillion times better! 😅

(Just kidding of course, one man's 'better' is the next person's 'never')

I'm a Core or PS buyer; it's simply what I like to do. Also I try to buy USA-made guitar products. But that's not a prescription for anyone else. I think folks should do what they feel best about doing.

I like to talk tone, and subtle details and all that, but really I just want to feel good about the instrument in enough ways that I want to keep it and use it in my ad music work. My guitars must pay their way to justify their spots in my studio. I like pretty guitars, but I don't buy 'em to look at 'em. Except maybe the first day. After that, it's work, work, work, or go.

Last edited:
Maybe one will come along that looks good to you.

Oh, I think mine are a bazillion times better! 😅

(Just kidding of course, one man's 'better' is the next person's 'never')

I'm a Core or PS buyer; it's simply what I like to do.
I can totally relate to your thinking. However...I'm a lucky guy as my first and only PRS is a SE std24. I have about 2 dozen guitars...half are high end and/or vintage.
This low budget PRS SE is my current favorite. With a new TusqXL nut and saddles...my trem stays in tune for several hours, the neck fits my hand perfectly, the " coil tap" is fantastic and makes my amps really respond like Hendrix standing in front of his full stacks. It's beautiful and doesn't have those silly 80's mini toggles and one volume and tone each,...perfect for live with great tapers. I can't find a nit....even though I've only played for 60+ years. Happy Camper.
Yeah USA made is cool and desired..but that then means no TV, no tech gadgets..or most...no phones, Yanmar diesel engines on my French sailboat..... you get the point.
I'd trade in my vintage Guilds...but what's better ( for me)?..nada. same with my Rics, Strats and my Epi SG.

Life is good...just need to go to Indonesia and match some lumber for those dudes!!

S2 having mostly SE specs (except for the 2024 new) have veered me away from thst line.
Not knocking se one bit.. I used to feel the same way, but I can honestly say I was wrong. Ok, maybe not wrong, but misguided? What's listed on paper isn't always the same as the real world. Manufactures list lets say Mahogany, maple, or whatever. Well, there's a bunch of "Mahogany" out there. Do we really think that all Maple is from North America? Canadian hard maple? I'm not picking on PRS or a line. It's the way things are done. Doesn't always mean worse or better, but there is a difference. Where that falls for importantance is up to the consumer.

I'm looking at acoustics right now. There's some that interest me that are made in Mexico. I can absolutely see and feel differences. Still there's one that I'm debating. If it was priced where I think a MIM guitar should be it might already be mine. I like it but for a little more $ it puts me in MIA land. Is it worth it? Still debating, but there is a difference.

To meet a price point things have to be done a differnet way. That goes beyond labor. Could be materials, process, or whatever else. More often than not there's a mixture of all.

But to the topic, I know it's a damn cheap guitar, but for the love of God does it have to look that? The lack of match or attempt to match drives me crazy.

Last edited:
But to the topic, I know it's a damn cheap guitar, but for the love of God does it have to look that? The lack of match or attempt to match drives me crazy.
Great post. You've given me some solid ideas since I first jumped in here.
That last comment above...I need to buy you a root beer!

I can totally relate to your thinking. However...I'm a lucky guy as my first and only PRS is a SE std24. I have about 2 dozen guitars...half are high end and/or vintage.
I can relate to yours as well!

For me, a handful of nice guitars does the trick. Part of that is not wanting paralysis by analysis; part of it is that I'm not into maintaining more than few at any given time.

Piano is my main instrument. I've been playing since I was four. That's a long, long, OK, very, very, very long time. I wonder if I have enough 'verys' in that sentence because it seems like it should be longer.

In fact Wolfie Mozart and I were in the same kindergarten class. He was, of course, a much better composer and player than I was, but at the time all I was interested in playing were songs like Louie, Louie. He was writing 'Twinkle Little Star" and conducting orchestras. We were in totally different kinds of bands.

I didn't get into writing orchestral music until I was pretty old. Wolfie didn't live long enough, of course, so we no longer compete for the girls' attention.

"Girls stopped paying attention to you in 1834, Laz."

"OK, but that was because I stopped wearing knee breeches and my sexy legs no longer showed. Look, you get to a certain age, and you shouldn't inflict your old man legs on the world."

Last edited:
Back