Gibson comes out with 2 new guitar models after two YouTuber's. LOL

I own two signature models, the Paul’s Guitar, and a Brent Mason model. I know Paul from the brand, but I don’t know anything about the music he plays outside of demos for the company. I know Brent Mason has played on tons of songs, but I couldn’t tell you any of them. I like the guitars for what they offer. I love Van Halen, but have never bought a Wolfgang or Stripe Series because they don’t work for me. I played a Fiore and really liked it, but I’m not drawn to Lettieri’s music. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t pull together attributes in a guitar design that are worthy of purchasing. I think most signature guitars are going to have a certain degree of appeal when they go outside the standard range offerings. Look at the Walsh 594. Stainless frets were enough to grab people’s attention. The musical artists push the design artists to go one step further. Everybody wins.

I was thinking about it a bit today, and I concluded that I'm not one bit upset. Where would Gibson, or any other brand, look for a new, potential endorsee? On the radio? Lol. It's not a mainstream instrument any more, no matter if you like this idea or not. I found more exciting guitarists on YT last week alone than in an entire decade on the radio. Just look at that cat:

I was thinking about it a bit today, and I concluded that I'm not one bit upset. Where would Gibson, or any other brand, look for a new, potential endorsee? On the radio? Lol. It's not a mainstream instrument any more, no matter if you like this idea or not. I found more exciting guitarists on YT last week alone than in an entire decade on the radio. Just look at that cat:

Matteo is a freak. Love his phrasing. He seems like an heir apparent to Holdsworth in alot of ways, though I think his lines remind me more of Frank Gambale.

Matteo is a freak. Love his phrasing. He seems like an heir apparent to Holdsworth in alot of ways, though I think his lines remind me more of Frank Gambale.
Would you imagine seeing this on the telly? Or the top 10 radio chart? Jazz is unfackable since, like... Forever. And yet, I have lots of fun listening to this cat

Going back to the OP, I think the point that may have been missed is that signature models are about selling more guitars (and always have been). The companies (<GOML>I refuse out of principle to say "brands" here </GOML>) are going to sign up the new hotness that they think will open wallets wherever they may find them.

A signature guitar is not a mark of artistic merit. It's a sign of (anticipated) popularity. That is all.

I own two signature models, the Paul’s Guitar, and a Brent Mason model. I know Paul from the brand, but I don’t know anything about the music he plays outside of demos for the company. I know Brent Mason has played on tons of songs, but I couldn’t tell you any of them. I like the guitars for what they offer. I love Van Halen, but have never bought a Wolfgang or Stripe Series because they don’t work for me. I played a Fiore and really liked it, but I’m not drawn to Lettieri’s music. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t pull together attributes in a guitar design that are worthy of purchasing. I think most signature guitars are going to have a certain degree of appeal when they go outside the standard range offerings. Look at the Walsh 594. Stainless frets were enough to grab people’s attention. The musical artists push the design artists to go one step further. Everybody wins.
Well said

In the end I don't see much difference with a non signature guitar. Some unknown guy or guys, who maybe a very skilled guitarist or not, working for a brand, think of a design (a combination of body shape, woods, pups, scale length...), builds a prototype, changes whatever needs to be changed if something is not right and release the final product to the market. If the combination of the different elements and build quality is worth the price, and the instrument is marketed the right way, it will be attractive for their target and someone will buy it. I don't care if the designer is John Doe or Rhett Shull, it just does not matter.

My 2 cents.

I've got a Dusty Waring Floyd Jade Green. I use that guitar for way more than just the heavier stuff. It is actually a VERY versatile guitar!

I never followed Dusty other than some YouTube clips of songs here and there. I bought it for the features and love the pickups way better than the \m/metal pickups I tried on a CU24 Floyd Rose.

Unique and versatile guitar that was not core expensive like most of my other guitars!

Last edited:
I've got a Dusty Waring Floyd emerald Green. I use that guitar for way more than just the heavier stuff. It is actually a VERY versatile guitar!

I never followed Dusty other than some YouTube clips of songs here and there. I bought it for the features and love the pickups way better than the \m/metal pickups I tried on a CU24 Floyd Rose.

Unique and versatile guitar that was not core expensive like most of my other guitars!
The DW tomahawks aren't talked about enough. Excellent pickups that are extremely versatile.. some of my favorites of all time.

other than Rick's videos, I know nothing about him. I guess he has a band back in the late 90's called Billionaire, but otherwise I know nothing of him.
Check out the records he has produced. Like our friends Shinedown. His studio credits have now taken a backseat to his YouTube fame, for better or worse. Even his Wikipedia page glosses over it.

"Beato has produced a number of albums over the years including; Shinedown's Us and Them (2005), Matchbox Twenty's Exile On Mainstream (2007), Goo Goo Dolls' Something For The Rest Of Us (2010) and more recently New Found Glory's Resurrection (2014)."

I think guitar/gear companies will name anything after anyone at this point. other than Rick's videos, I know nothing about him. I guess he has a band back in the late 90's called Billionaire, but otherwise I know nothing of him. We live in an age of the guitar influencer, as cringe as they are sometimes, but they are big names that people know, even if nobody can name a single song they've ever done (Jared Dines, Rob Scallion, Sophie Burrell).

Then I guess you have the Joe Bonamassa side of things. Good guitar player, has some decent music (though not my taste at all), but my lord....I thought Grandpatallica had a merch store for the ages, but they aint got nothing on Joe. I swear there is a JB signature everything these days, I feel like half the entire Epiphone lineup is JB signatures. Alex Lifeson has what, one? FFS
Full disclosure, I am NOT a Beato fan.

This is the age of new media. Don't dismiss a YouTuber's reach. Beato has 3.6M subscribers. Each of his video's get's hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of views. And he drops new stuff weekly. This is all about Gibson getting promoted to millions of viewers in their target demographic.

His sphere of influence, as compared to Joe for example, is much bigger.

Back