GASsing for something different

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Watching Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin' & wanting something single coilish & Marshally. Like an HX/DA and SASNF.

Yeah, the 305 is TOO single coilish. Lol
I wouldn't be into it as much. Narrowfields are as close as a guy like me can get and still feel right.

Yeah, the 305 is TOO single coilish. Lol
I wouldn't be into it as much. Narrowfields are as close as a guy like me can get and still feel right.

However, remember that Hendrix played with a fuzz an awful lot of the time. That tends to change the whole pickup/tone game.

I don't think the Narrowfields are going to get you Hendrix. The leading edge of the ADSR envelope is too round.

But you might find P-90s a good compromise, because they're a bit fatter, yet still bright with good cut. I got very good Hendrix type sounds with a CU22 Soapbar.

However, remember that Hendrix played with a fuzz an awful lot of the time. That tends to change the whole pickup/tone game.

I don't think the Narrowfields are going to get you Hendrix. The leading edge of the ADSR envelope is too round.

But you might find P-90s a good compromise, because they're a bit fatter, yet still bright with good cut. I got very good Hendrix type sounds with a CU22 Soapbar.
Yeah, I'm not one to try to copy tones exactly. You're probably right though, the NF's are probably more humbucker like, which is why I had a great vibe playing the SASNF. Honestly, I could just coil tap my 5708s and be close enough for me. The soapie is a good idea though, always liked them.

What is going now?!?! Did someone hack vchizzle's account? :hello:

Not a tone-chaser, either, but I was going to recommend P-90s - except Les beat me to it.

The 513 isn't as complex as it looks. You won't jump from the bridge single-coil to the neck humbucker with a single flick of a switch, or anything like that. But if the 305 is too single-coily for you, the 513 would likely be as well.

The Brent sounds like a good choice, although your comment about tapping the 57/08s reminds me of one of Grissom's demos at Experience. He was talking about the coil taps on the DGT, and he said something like, "I can pop the tone knob up for single coils when I want that Strat sound. Does it sound exactly like a Strat? No - but it's close enough."

Get a PRS SE III. Nicky rocks one.

PRSseBlue.jpg

You're approaching that age that you'll start to like single coils and that the hair that grows outta your ears becomes unmanageable... Strap in.

You're approaching that age that you'll start to like single coils and that the hair that grows outta your ears becomes unmanageable... Strap in.

A couple years ago, my buddy's now-ex checked out some of my newer recordings. She said, "You know you guys are old now - you've gone acoustic."

Get out the weed eater!

I do find myself wanting to yell at kids - "GET OFF MY LAWN!" :D

Narrowfields can approximate the Knopfler tone without breaking a sweat... but not Hendrix...

It's a hard tone to cop with any PRS IMO. That may have to do more with his fingers than anything though. :D

Back