Gap between heel and neck joint

Clifford Erickson

Hi all,I just received a brand new CE24 as a gift from a old friend and I noticed that on one side of the neck joint it is nice and tight but on the other side there is a gap big enough to slide a medium gauge pick all the way through.Is this something I should be concerned about?

You know, this is almost the perfect opportunity to say, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth," but if you're remotely concerned, the smart thing to do would be to call PRS customer service.

You know, this is almost the perfect opportunity to say, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth," but if you're remotely concerned, the smart thing to do would be to call PRS customer service.
If I was complaining or something then I can understand the comment.I was just asking if it ok.The warranty says I should look it over and inspect it.
The advice given in the 'don't look...' proverb is: when receiving a gift be grateful for what it is; don't imply you wished for more by assessing its value.I was not doing that.I was asking if it was ok or normal to be that way.

Last edited:
So I just looked at the CE24 that I have out right now and one side is tight up against the neck slot and the other is "nearly" tight. I can see a small gap but I can't put a pick in the slot. I'd say yours is fine but you might take a pic and send it to PRS customer service and ask.

Helps if you can snap a picture so we can see :)
Since its a CE its a bolt on neck does it feel loose at all ? Have you tried snugging up the screws ? does it play poorly ?
Since its new PTC would take care of any issues

ok, mine is tight on top too.The gap on the bottom is pretty wide.a medium pick will slide right through it.I hope it is ok,it is the best guitar I have ever played in 45 yrs.

Helps if you can snap a picture so we can see :)
Since its a CE its a bolt on neck does it feel loose at all ? Have you tried snugging up the screws ? does it play poorly ?
Since its new PTC would take care of any issues
I will take pics as soon as I can.It plays fantastic, totally love it.

I have a picture, no clue at all on how to upload it.
Save the photo to a service like photobucket and then use the little icon above that looks like a picture to copy the URL into your post. The photo will show up.

I made account @ photo bucket but could not upload.But I found out the gap is ok and just fine,I will post a picture tomorrow when I get the chance to figure it out.
I played a 69 LP my entire life since I was 13 and never picked up a bolt on neck before until recently.This CE 24 I have is absolutely perfect,best gift I ever got and cant put it down.The wife is jealous.

Matt got back to me and told me that it is within the specs( .028” – .033”) gap on each side. This has been the criteria for a CE and The gap can be on one side only or both up to those dimensions.Good to know, my first thought was something happened during shipping and had to be sure.

Back