Fret sprout on SE SAS yet?? Anyone...

Russ73

Anyone have fret sprout on their SE SAS or CE yet?? I grabbed mine today and low and behold shape frets....lol....I live in the northeast

The one I played at GC brand new already had it. Failed the “neck slide” test sadly. Plus the tone knob while in the down position was 8 miles above the guitar top.
About half of the se I demo these days have fret issues, sprout and beyond. Most with binding don't have sprout. Almost all of the maple neck and boards have sprout. Maybe half rosewood boards have fret sprout. One was so bad the other day I actually said Oww and pulled my hand away like a hot flame.

The seSS has been the worst offender by a large margin, especially the maple. I haven't played enough sassy to give accurate data, but one was pretty bad. Then another was outstanding. It really does seem to vary model to model. I've been trying to make sense of the unPRS experience.. I go to a lot of shops traveling.

What I do know is I've absolutely noticed a difference from shop to shop. GC has been a joke. With some independents damn near perfect.

About half of the se I demo these days have fret issues, sprout and beyond. Most with binding don't have sprout. Almost all of the maple neck and boards have sprout. Maybe half rosewood boards have fret sprout. One was so bad the other day I actually said Oww and pulled my hand away like a hot flame.

The seSS has been the worst offender by a large margin, especially the maple. I haven't played enough sassy to give accurate data, but one was pretty bad. Then another was outstanding. It really doemodel to model. I've been trying to make sense of the unPRS experience.. I go to a lot of shops traveling.

What I do know is I've absolutely noticed a difference from shop to shop. GC has been a joke. With some independents damn near perfect.
Similar experience here....
Since 10/23, I've bought SE Custom 24 quilt top, SE ZM, SE 594 SC and a SE CE 24 satin.
The first three all have binding; no fret sprout issues. The SE CEC24 satin has the slightest bit of fret sprout. To me, it's not a deal breaker; I have the means and skill to correct it.
Would buy again....seriously, it was a $500 guitar.

Well this is frickin fantastic after I’ve been arguing with someone here for two weeks that this is not a common issue. 🙄
Go on with your bad self! You made a lot of valid points. We both know issues are not common in the PRS world. Whatever hiccup will absolutely be sorted 100% or 99%. Nothings perfect.

Edit- admittedly I didn't read all of it. But it's one thing to hear from people with real world experience and a sample size greater than one, then, well.. I'm not going there. There's enough recent thread examples for one to form their own opinion.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I look like a freaking idiot now. This is the first I’ve heard of this, and right after I have argued for over a week that it’s not normal

Last edited:
Similar experience here....
Since 10/23, I've bought SE Custom 24 quilt top, SE ZM, SE 594 SC and a SE CE 24 satin.
The first three all have binding; no fret sprout issues. The SE CEC24 satin has the slightest bit of fret sprout. To me, it's not a deal breaker; I have the means and skill to correct it.
Would buy again....seriously, it was a $500 guitar.
But PRS has avoided issues like this for years! Now suddenly it’s a thing.

Last edited:
@SteveGlitch here you go. You are right, I am wrong. Apparently 30 years of avoiding this issue was not a good basis for my opinion as a very recent issue seems to have developed. No wonder you’re comparing them to $200 guitars. I don’t blame you now!
You're not an idiot. You're fine, it's not a big deal really. I really do love both SE guitars, as well as the Squier Sonic. No worries!!!

I just checked frets on my SE SAS which I grabbed when the sale was announced, and they are fine. They were fine upon delivery, but over the first week or so in my bedroom they started to feel a tad sharp. My new heat pump / AC system doesn’t have a humidifier and humidity was in the low 30s in my room. I moved the guitar back to the guitar room I keep around 50% humidified and my sharp frets disappeared. I live in Connecticut 6 miles from Long Island Sound and exterior humidity is not a problem, so in the summer I go without the humidifier.

This is my first SE, which came from Sweetwater. I have 5 other PRS all core except for a PS. Never had a fret sprout problem with any others because the American factory dries their wood properly. I just assume that the Indonesian factory may not put as much into drying the neck wood equal to the American factory. I’m not put off by fret sprout on an SE since I can fix that issue if it did occur. Once the neck is dry and fret ends filed it should not reoccur.

To put things into perspective, my local GS has humidity in the 20s all winter. All the guitars have fret sprout enough that the guitars are unplayable, except for guitars just coming off the truck and making it to the floor. This includes $2000 Gibson and Fender electrics. All the acoustics in the acoustic room are so bad $3000 and $4000 Taylors and Martins have split guitar tops, and many cheaper guitars do too. Fret sprout on every guitar makes them not only unplayable, but dangerous to handle. I can’t believe the guitars are being sold in such poor condition.

I just checked frets on my SE SAS which I grabbed when the sale was announced, and they are fine. They were fine upon delivery, but over the first week or so in my bedroom they started to feel a tad sharp. My new heat pump / AC system doesn’t have a humidifier and humidity was in the low 30s in my room. I moved the guitar back to the guitar room I keep around 50% humidified and my sharp frets disappeared. I live in Connecticut 6 miles from Long Island Sound and exterior humidity is not a problem, so in the summer I go without the humidifier.

This is my first SE, which came from Sweetwater. I have 5 other PRS all core except for a PS. Never had a fret sprout problem with any others because the American factory dries their wood properly. I just assume that the Indonesian factory may not put as much into drying the neck wood equal to the American factory. I’m not put off by fret sprout on an SE since I can fix that issue if it did occur. Once the neck is dry and fret ends filed it should not reoccur.

To put things into perspective, my local GS has humidity in the 20s all winter. All the guitars have fret sprout enough that the guitars are unplayable, except for guitars just coming off the truck and making it to the floor. This includes $2000 Gibson and Fender electrics. All the acoustics in the acoustic room are so bad $3000 and $4000 Taylors and Martins have split guitar tops, and many cheaper guitars do too. Fret sprout on every guitar makes them not only unplayable, but dangerous to handle. I can’t believe the guitars are being sold in such poor condition.
Or the SE guitars are built in Indonesia where the humidity is very high. No fret sprout there, but in moderate climate areas with lower humidity it becomes an issue. May not have something to do with drying the wood, but conditions in the factory.

Plus how long do these guitars spend on a boat, in the container. Cardboard box, gig bag. No real protection from temp/humidity changes.

How are they stored when they arrive in country of purchase?

Still sad to hear. Come on PRS.

Glad to see you two boys have kissed and made up. Let there be love.

The nut on my 10th Anniversary 594 had a nut issue that had to go back to the factory. GC at its finest..

Does anyone think GC gets the “B” stock for PRS? Only a thought.

Do I need to duck?:oops:
Purely speculative opinion.. I think they get a bulk container shipped to a GC hub and then they go to the stores where they're pulled straight outta the box on to the wall. Probbaly get zero once over from anyone and go through whatever conditions without a thought or care in the world. Their business model seems to be volume over care.

Last edited:
Back