Fret size

Stratblooz

Why doesn't PRS offer the possibility of different fretsizes on their guitars ? I'd love to have a 408 with jumbo frets bus as far as I know the DGT is the only american made PRS with jumbo frets?

Good question. You would think a choice would be available as a no extra cost option especially for artist package.

Just curious, what major guitar makers give you a choice of fret size on every model?

I would guess it'd be a major headache and would really slow down the manufacturing process.

Carvin Les, but im not sure if the upcharge is for the size, or just the stainless option. I think I remember the size option is free, but add like $30 for stainless steel instead of nickel. I own 3 Carvins acoustic/electrics, but I play EXCLUSIVELY PRS electrics. LOVE my koa Angelus too.

With Carvin, everything is a custom build. They don't have anything near the production line and level of PRS. I also remember seeing a video about the fret wire PRS uses being unique. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of why.

If you go custom with PRS, I'm pretty sure you can choose your fret wire. Of course, it'll end up costing you more than the $30 up-charge.:)

Carvin Les, but im not sure if the upcharge is for the size, or just the stainless option. I think I remember the size option is free, but add like $30 for stainless steel instead of nickel. I own 3 Carvins acoustic/electrics, but I play EXCLUSIVELY PRS electrics. LOVE my koa Angelus too.

Well, the only problem with a Carvin is that if you order one, what you get is a Carvin.

;)

Seriously, one of my favorite session guys has a couple of Carvins, and never uses them, either. They're not bad guitars at all.

But of course, neither are they PRSes.

Back to the original question of why? I do not know. However, since PRS already has the larger DGT frets on hand, and when you order a guitar whether core line, artist pkg, or PS, it has to be built to order, the offering of the choice between the two fret sizes would seem like an option that PRS could easily accomodate.

This is why I have three DGTs - fret size. I love the 6100s. As soon as my 21 year old SRV Strat needs a refret, it's getting SS 6100s. Oh yes.

The 408s already have larger frets than the regular Custom 24 and Studio frets. There's not much difference between what's on the 408s and the DGTs to me anyway. I can tell a huge difference between those the smaller frets on the customs and the studio.

Carvin: Ugly girls need love too. (Pretty sure that's their company slogan)

I've owned a few of them over the years. The ones I've played had no soul, even the newer set neck carved top PRS copies. I have a buddy of mine with a very top notch boutique amp collection who swears by them. That's all he owns. All of them are neck thru models, most with walnut or maple bodies. To each his own I guess. At least he saves money on his guitar purchases.

Last edited:
I love the jumbo frets on my Akesson. I don't mind the more normal size ones, except that I wear them down pretty fast. I'm just going to send my SE's to the PTC for the nice hard USA frets when the stock ones wear out. Might as well go for the DGT size while I'm at it!

Since this thread went there, my 3 Carvin acoustic/electric hybrid gtrs are both beautiful and musical. They are far from "ugly" or "souless". I have a 6, a 12, and a nylon synth access, and all 3 have what PRS would grade as private stock quality quilted maple tops. Also, if PRS offerred anything similar in design, I wouldn't have considered Carvin, or any other company. I can't comment on Carvin electrics since I play PRS electrics EXCLUSIVELY, but these hybrid gtrs are definately keepers, and American made. I play them every Sunday in church, and I am an admitted gtr snob.

Hang on, y'all--let's not be bad-mouthing someone else's product here. PRS isn't diminished one bit by the presence of Carvin. I've got four Carvins, and I like 'em a lot. I also have a PRS Brent Mason model, and I like it a lot too. I've also got a G&L ASAT, and a Telecaster, and a Strat, and an SG, and a Tom Anderson Cobra, and, well, you get the idea. They're all different from one another, and they all serve a purpose in my collection. My name is Jon, and I'm a guitar junkie...

Last edited:
Isn't the Brent Mason equipped with jumbo frets?

The NF3 and DC3 had jumbo frets too... but they are no longer made. Still a few kicking about at retail though.

Back to the original question of why? I do not know. However, since PRS already has the larger DGT frets on hand, and when you order a guitar whether core line, artist pkg, or PS, it has to be built to order, the offering of the choice between the two fret sizes would seem like an option that PRS could easily accomodate.
I am also a fan of the DGT fret wire. I think my SCHB has the bigger frets. My Tremonti I have it with larger frets (PTCized), but what I really like are the Stainless Steel large frets and that I have to do in another place, since PRS doesn't offer SS on their guitars.
Total agree with Charismafire that PRS could offer fret options on their Artist Package program.

Isn't the Brent Mason equipped with jumbo frets?

The NF3 and DC3 had jumbo frets too... but they are no longer made. Still a few kicking about at retail though.
There used to be a chart around floating around the forums from 2-3 years ago. It had all the models with the "DGT" fret wire and there were quite a few including those. The SC58 and McCarty 58 also had the larger wire.

The 408s already have larger frets than the regular Custom 24 and Studio frets. There's not much difference between what's on the 408s and the DGTs to me anyway. I can tell a huge difference between those the smaller frets on the customs and the studio.

Here is the image from a VR post I found:

s87FjRpVq0ezuNzJlH_GvnxD7mYZqSASu5VS5PmCTBA=w339-h212-p-no

Back