fret dilemma Prs Benie Marsden

zovanou

When i bought the bernie 1 year ago it was sort of a lark, the specs were good,etc. I didnt expect much
One year later love this guitar , changed a nut, got some wolftones in it its great. The dilemma ,I never got on with the frets ,too small
i am torn between paying 300 dollars for a refret on a guitar which i could sell for $350.00.If I did the refret i would ave no issues with
the guitar.The alternative is sell and replace but i dont think there would be a reasonable replacement with jumbo frets i could afford.
I am llittle spoiled by the finish and quality of this Student Edition, cant even look at a gibby anymore Any ideas Argh!!

There isn't a direct PRS replacement in the price range you're looking at. The Bernie is unique unless you can afford the eye watering price of the upcoming US Private Stock ones.

I agree that the frets are fairly small. I'm playing mine until they're worn. After at I'll get a refret with larger frets.

I love my Bernie enough that I'm prepared to spend as much as I can making it the best I can.

I'm already at S2 prices and a refret and other eventual work will take me near used core prices.

Madness?

No, because I could only recreate what I like about that guitar via Private Stock which I can't afford.

If you love the guitar then a re-fret is worth it.

If you love the guitar then a re-fret is worth it.

Amen!

Why are you worried about resale prices...You're not selling! If the frets were perfect for you (and therefore, you had the perfect guitar), you wouldn't think twice about doing a refret when they got worn out and selling it would not be in consideration. As I see it, you are only considering refretting it early.

You could always sell it for $350 and deduce the cost of new frets and be left with $50.

Okay, I'm not so good with math, or what point that proves, but I wanted to take part in this thread.

thanks to all who responded thoughts are greatly appreciated .
Any recommendations for refret i am in nyc and i am thinking of shipping this out of town maybe Philtone any others?
this is a great forum

Philtone is one of the very best, in my opinion. I haven`t let anyone else touch one of my guitars in many years. He will plek the neck and make sure the fretboard is level. He also uses stainless steel frets, which wear like iron. Phil is also a former PRS employee. He`s your man.

Philtone is one of the very best, in my opinion. I haven`t let anyone else touch one of my guitars in many years. He will plek the neck and make sure the fretboard is level. He also uses stainless steel frets, which wear like iron. Phil is also a former PRS employee. He`s your man.

If you can get a PLEK job with stainless frets from a former PRS employee I would stop looking...

Back