Found my lost Oktava microphones...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Bought these about 12 years ago and shipped them to Michael Jolly to be modified. Can't remember the exact details but Michael would mod these Russian made condenser microphones to give the performance of something super high end...like a Neumann KM84!

Found them this morning. They've been missing for years.

Excellent acoustic guitar mics and overhead mics, so I'll be putting them to use in the little studio I'm putting together.

The Tascam Portacapture X8 is being returned to Sweetwater.
It feels like a toy now that I have my Oktava mics and my Shure SM57's and 58's back in my hands.

Anyone familiar with the Oktava mics and the Micheal Jolly Mod?

Last edited:
Well you still need something to plug those nice mics into, and I don't think you are getting a board worthy of their stature, so what are you going to use for interface? If you choose to use the Scarlett that Prina sent you, you should maybe get a 4 or 8 channel mix board. That or spring for a 4 or 8 channel interface. Let me know if you want to talk about options!

Well you still need something to plug those nice mics into, and I don't think you are getting a board worthy of their stature, so what are you going to use for interface? If you choose to use the Scarlett that Prina sent you, you should maybe get a 4 or 8 channel mix board. That or spring for a 4 or 8 channel interface. Let me know if you want to talk about options!
I am thinking something like the Scarlett. Prina wasn't sure he wanted to sell his. And I am looking at small boards. I have a Berringer I used to use when I did a single. Singer/songwriter thing.

But I was going to call you and Prina and chat some more.

I've had an Oktava 219 and a 319 for twenty years or so. Solid workhorses in the studio (and the 319 can be used as a billyclub or a ballpeen hammer if needed).

I'd heard about the Michael Joly mods - they were supposed to be very good, and cost effective. He's out of that business now, so don't lose yours again:

=K

I had a set exactly like that. They're good mics!

There's an awful lot of iffy information floating around about this stuff, and people will only be too happy to sell you stuff you don't really need.

You absolutely do not need a mixer if all you're recording is a stereo mic pair, or one mic. If your DAW allows input monitoring (most do at this point), you won't hear latency.

I haven't owned a mixing console in 13 years, and you're aware of the work I do. I could do it using a two-input interface (though I have a larger one just because).

Any computer interface today has at the very least, comparably decent mic preamps. The ones on the Apollo are slightly better than average, but I only use outboard mic preamps with more character. They're not cheap, and that's fine. My stuff has to be broadcast quality.

Also, you'd be surprised at the high quality of the sound effects recordings I've captured with my handheld Tascam unit - you've heard them on national TV ads. They get used for lots of broadcast stuff; folks in LA TV and film use them for field work like I do.

Just sayin'. I do sometimes plug in external mics when I use it, depending on the audio source and what I want to accomplish.

Last edited:
Lew,
I have a pair of those mics. There was an article in one of the magazines I ready 10 years ago about some simple mods that cost less than $50 and transformed these "good" mics into great ones. It was just a few parts. I got so exited I ran out and bought a pair of the mics. But that was back in my pedal and amp building days, and when I quit doing most of that stuff, they've sat in the boxes unmodified for years. I've used them maybe twice and they've never left my music room. I need to find the mod article and see what the mods were. I have STACKS (folders full) of printed out mod instructions and build instructions for various mods, pedals, kits, etc and BAGS of parts of all kinds, left over from those days. :rolleyes:

Lew,
I have a pair of those mics. There was an article in one of the magazines I ready 10 years ago about some simple mods that cost less than $50 and transformed these "good" mics into great ones. It was just a few parts. I got so exited I ran out and bought a pair of the mics. But that was back in my pedal and amp building days, and when I quit doing most of that stuff, they've sat in the boxes unmodified for years. I've used them maybe twice and they've never left my music room. I need to find the mod article and see what the mods were. I have STACKS (folders full) of printed out mod instructions and build instructions for various mods, pedals, kits, etc and BAGS of parts of all kinds, left over from those days. :rolleyes:
So yours have not been modified yet?

There's lots of info online. Just do a search for Oktava MK-012 Jolly Mod and you'll find a lot to read.

You can read posts by guys who have done it themselves and what they used for parts.

Apparently it's simple.

If you go to Michael Jolly's website he has a message giving the contact info for someone who's carrying on his work and doing the mod.

Reviews I've read of the Jolly Modded MK-012 all say how great it is for acoustic guitar and compare it to the Neumann KM84.

Some say they prefer the modded MK-012 to the KM84 for recording acoustic guitar.

I have limited experience with my own modified MK-012 mics and have never compared them to a Neumann.

Last edited:

There's an awful lot of iffy information floating around about this stuff, and people will only be too happy to sell you stuff you don't really need.

You absolutely do not need a mixer if all you're recording is a stereo mic pair, or one mic. If your DAW allows input monitoring (most do at this point), you won't hear latency.

I haven't owned a mixing console in 13 years, and you're aware of the work I do. I could do it using a two-input interface (though I have a larger one just because).

Any computer interface today has at the very least, comparably decent mic preamps. The ones on the Apollo are slightly better than average, but I only use outboard mic preamps with more character. They're not cheap, and that's fine. My stuff has to be broadcast quality.

Also, you'd be surprised at the high quality of the sound effects recordings I've captured with my handheld Tascam unit - you've heard them on national TV ads. They get used for lots of broadcast stuff; folks in LA TV and film use them for field work like I do.

Just sayin'. I do sometimes plug in external mics when I use it, depending on the audio source and what I want to accomplish.
So the reason I am suggesting a mix board or a 4 or 8 channel interface is because Lew has indicated to me that he may want to record (this is just one scenario) dual mic on acoustic guitar, vocal, percussionist and possibly backup vocals all simultaneously. I am sure you can agree, this is going to take more than a two channel interface to accomplish unless he were to just use a couple of room mics. I, like you, believe the Tascam would have been a good fit for his needs, but I can also understand why he thinks it feels like a toy. I feel the same way about my Zoom H6 recorder, but the results in using it have been excellent (with the exception of the included mics, which I think sound like dirt)! If you have any suggestions for his situation, you know a LOT more about this stuff than I do and you also have decades more experience than I do, so any reasonably priced alternatives you can suggest will hold a lot of weight with him ;~)) We all value your sage level knowledge on these matters!

I have a friend here in town who has a nice home studio and he's been giving me advice too. What he said is that I don't need a mixer but that I'd save time and be more comfortable using a mixer, because that's what I'm used to: turning knobs, adjusting tone controls and moving faders.

Something like this from Allen and Heath is $179. Is that what you're thinking?

That one is not going to work as you will still need a interface (it does not have a USB interface built in). Here is a very similar model from Allen Heath that does have the USB interface (thereby eliminating the need for a separate interface):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZEDi8--allen-and-heath-zedi-8-mixer-with-usb

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Heath-...terface+mixer+usb&qid=1691437547&sr=8-30&th=1

This is from the same series by Allen and Heath (Zed series) but it is a ZEDi, with the i at the end indicating it is also an interface. It is about $70 more than the one you posted, but you can get it at Amazon for about $30 more than the one you posted (both links above).

Mackie has a 10 channel board that acts as an interface, and it is selling for about $269 (at Sweetwater https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProFX10v3--mackie-profx10v3-10-channel-mixer-with-effects and Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-ProFX-Mixer-Unpowered-10-channel/dp/B07X8Z1BRG ) . The reason I would choose this one ultimately is because it has 4 mic preamps. Considering what you are intending to record, you are going to want those extra mic preamps if I understand you signal chains correctly. The Allen & Heath and some of the other Mackie boards in the 4/6/8 channel range have only two mic preamps which puts you in a position of not having phantom power or mic preamps for many of you microphones.

I know 10 channels may seem like it is more than you need, but if we have dual mics on guitar, vocal, percussion, there is your 4 mic inputs already. Add in back up vocalists and you are already beyond the capabilities of even that 10 channel board (because of the limit on the number of mic preamps it has). Keep in mind that those 4 channels can also take guitar/keyboard/other inputs as well.

Hopefully others will chime in, but this the route I would go if I were you (Mackie ProFX10v3). Let me know if you want me to look any further for other options!

I have a friend here in town who has a nice home studio and he's been giving me advice too. What he said is that I don't need a mixer but that I'd save time and be more comfortable using a mixer, because that's what I'm used to: turning knobs, adjusting tone controls and moving faders.
I agree. The other thing is, I prefer to get the properly mixed signals going into the computer rather than adjusting them in the computer. You will still adjust them once inside the computer (DAW), but getting the signals right on the way in is definitely worth something. You will also have the option to go out directly from board to PA, speakers or headphones, eliminating the need to even have a computer on when you just want to play and mix the inputs as you see fit!

If the mixer's a good one, that's worthwhile advice!

If the mixer isn't on the quality level of your interface and plugins, there's a hit one takes in the recording quality. Lots of inexpensive mixers sound pretty bad. Some sound pretty good. I have no idea what you or your friend have, so I can't comment. Most inexpensive mixers haven't come as far as computer interfaces have in recent years, especially in terms of mic preamps.

Depending on your sonic goal, this may be irrelevant or very relevant.

I've worked on the best mixers in the world, the million dollar stuff, and I've worked on less stellar gear. There's a big difference. The better software comes closer to the best hardware than a mediocre sounding hardware mixer.

But comfort level comes into play. You have to follow the evidence of your own ears, and meet your needs.

Let your ears and hands be the guide. There's no mileage in taking my advice, or anyone else's. It's all just stuff to consider for yourself. I bring it up as merely stuff to consider.

If you're releasing music into the world, it matters more than if you're amusing yourself or recording to preserve song ideas.

Of course, 'releasing music into the world' doesn't mean anyone's gonna listen to it at all, let alone more than once. It's tough to compete with the best in the world, and that's who even our friends/relatives compare us to, because they've heard the good stuff. For most of us, recording is a fun exercise that we do for ourselves.

So make yourself happy with whatever works for you.

Last edited:
I think @László and @Moondog Wily have some really good advice. Whether you go with Focusrite 2i2, 4i4, an Allen and Heath, or Mackie, if you go with Sweetwater or Amazon, just keep it in new condition and go with something else if, like the Tascam, you're not really happy with it. After really using it for a few weeks you may have a good idea if it works well with what you want to do, including number of mic pres, output to your stereo/monitor system and if it plays nice with your DAW.

Since you have access to your friend's studio and if you like the quality of their interface you might want to compare your interface with theirs using your mikes.

There's no mileage in taking my advice, or anyone else's. It's all just stuff to consider for yourself.
Personally, I've gotten massive mileage from your experience, as well as others on the site. My Stripped 58 is example #1. I don't blindly follow anyone's advice, just ask my wife, but most of us know how to weigh advice in context and some of that advice contains nuggets of gold.

Last edited:
Personally, I've gotten massive mileage from your experience, as well as others on the site. My Stripped 58 is example #1. I don't blindly follow anyone's advice, just ask my wife (of 30 yrs today), but most of us know how to weigh advice in context and some of that advice contains nuggets of gold.
I'm glad some of it has been helpful.

It's just stuff to consider as with anything else. You have a very clear handle on what works for you.

Back